#PMChallenge - Safe Turn Off feature

1. Cruh
    Donut Feb 4, 2019

Cruh , Feb 4, 2019 :
    The basic idea is that the devices now come with an optional feature that asks the password whenever you (or anyone) tries to turn it off.

Who are the users?
    This is aimed to pretty much everyone, and if someone doesn't like this feature, they just can turn it off.

What is the proposed function?
    The main use of the feature is in the situation of a robbery where the phone was lost. Usually, the burglar would turn off the device so it can't be tracked. With this feature on, the device wouldn't be able to be turned off, thus opening the possibility of getting back the phone with help of police officers and any tracking software like Google.

What is the user value?
    This helps the user by giving him a real possibility of getting back his device after a robbery, and also avoiding someone turning off the device without his knowledge.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    As far as I know, there are no similar features on the market nowadays.

The pictures are an example of how it would be. The order is simple, First picture 1, then picture 2.
    View attachment 967516
    1549306477807.jpg

1549306477845.jpg

View attachment 967515

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 4, 2019

dsmonteiro , Feb 4, 2019 :
    The images you tried to attach wasn't succesfully uploaded to the post, please see the link below on how to properly:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/how-to-upload-photos.482004/

Cruh likes this.
  3. Cruh
    Donut Feb 4, 2019

dsmonteiro likes this.
  4. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 4, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 4, 2019 :
    But what about the built-in safety reset on every Android phone? Where you can hold the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot?

Cruh likes this.
  5. Cruh
    Donut Feb 4, 2019

Cruh , Feb 4, 2019 :

KeepTransisting

But what about the built-in safety reset on every Android phone? Where you can hold the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot?​

I had forgotten about that. I don't know how possible is to apply the feature in this case, but if it is possible it should also ask the password.

edit: I just realized it says Reset. If it's a reset and not a turn off, I believe it isn't so necessary to apply the feature. I'm saying that in the case that applying the feature to the built-in safety reset is impossible, or near impossible. But if it's not too hard, it should also ask for the password.

6. ejca1212
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

ejca1212 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    I think this is a really good idea, probably something they can do is to build or add a functionality from OP's page where you can send like an "instruction" to your phone and block any way to power off the phone. The only issue I see is what will happen if SIM card is removed before "instruction" is received by phone.

7. Cruh
    Donut Feb 5, 2019

Cruh , Feb 5, 2019 :
    The GPS can work without internet, the accuracy will be less, but you can still track the device