#PMChallenge Shake Event (Accelerometer Motion Trigger)

1. dimovski Gingerbread Feb 7, 2019

dimovski, Feb 7, 2019 :

Who are the users?

For those who care for automation and easy-access functions,
    such as users of the already implemented on-screen gestures.

What is the proposed function?
    The function is an event listener that triggers when motion is detected by the built-in accelerometer.
    The user has to make a firm shake of the device to trigger the function. Some third-party applications are using the same type of function to trigger different events within the application itself, for example Snapchat (Beta?) where a firm shake function triggers bug/error report, Swedbank uses the same trigger function for quick overview of your current bank account balance.

Usage examples:

* Shake phone > Open Camera, or other desired application
    * Shake phone > Toggle switches such as Torch/WiFi/Bluetooth/Auto-Rotate
    * Shake phone > Quick call desired phone number/contact

What is the user value?
    The user value is to get easier smartphone interaction possibilities with other than touch triggers and third-party app add-ons.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry,
    how is your proposed feature superior?

As mentioned above, some third-pary applications are using the same type of function,
    I think it's also can be or is used in apps such as Tasker and IFTTT..?
    To be able to activate this feature within the OS and not by any other third-party application is what makes this superior.

Dante1, Ruby G. and ravikrcsia like this.
  2. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 7, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Ahh like moto gestures.
    Would be cool to see it implemented to OxygenOS. Well done on the presentation.

Dante1 and dimovski like this.
  3. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 7, 2019

laiosg, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Can't this already be done with automation apps found on the playstore?
    Also what about accidental triggers?

4. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 8, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Tell my why I'm not cancelling all of my Swedbank accounts now.

5. dimovski Gingerbread Feb 8, 2019

dimovski, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Yeah, kind of like the Moto Actions but you get to decide your own action trigger.
    Agree, would be really cool and useful to have, in my opinion!
    Thanks! :)

Dante1 likes this.
  6. dimovski Gingerbread Feb 8, 2019

dimovski, Feb 8, 2019 :
    It is an optional feature that has to be manually activated in the Swedbank application to work. This allows users to see their current balance. I have activated the feature and chosen to show only my balance on the bank account that is connected to my bank card. I get a quick balance overview and know exactly how much money I have on my bank card when out shopping.

7. dimovski Gingerbread Feb 8, 2019

dimovski, Feb 8, 2019 :
    It can most certainly be done with automation apps on the play store, which is the reason why I think it should be implemented in the operative system instead. That way, you don't have to download yet another app just to customize your user experience, and since there already is on-screen gesture controls implemented in Oxygen OS, this would only add as a useful extra feature to the operating system :)

Accidental triggers depends on how the feature is implemented. Applications that uses the same type of feature in-app has set a very low sensitivity trigger, which means you really have to shake your device firmly to trigger the feature. This reduces the accidental triggers. This feature may also have a sensitivity bar, so the user get to drag and choose how sensitive the trigger will be. I personally would recommend to set a fixed low sensitivity, to avoid accidental triggers.