#PMChallenge : ShortApp - Aimed at improving productivity

1. KiriakosKanatsaris
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

KiriakosKanatsaris , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Hello everyone!

ShortApp is basically a way to launch your favorite apps/apps that you often use while using another app.

Note: Name and graphics are temporary and I'm sure we will find a better name for the feature:

Like me, I know there are a lot of people who want to use an app for a minute or a few seconds but face a constant loop of going back to home, looking for the app they want to launch and then back to the previous app which is fast, but still takes a while, especially if you have a lot of apps installed.

ShortApp offers a way to launch your favorite apps in just a few clicks without needing to go to the Home screen and back to your previous app again.

With ShortApp you can set up to five of your favorite apps that you constantly check/use so that you always have quick access to them even from within another app.

You can also set different ShortApps for different apps, for example:
    You may be someone who constantly goes to looking for an installed Translate app during some important business conversations on Skype with foreign partners. With ShortApp, you can assign the Translate application in the ShortBar app for Skype only so that every time you use Skype and are having an important conversation you need to translate, you'll have the Translate app only two clicks away and most importantly, the Translate app will launch in split screen mode so you can translate fast and easy.

Another example would be assigning your favorite Lyric providing website to Spotify so you can quickly launch the site in split screen mode from within Spotify, so you can quickly find the lyrics you want.

Who are the users? Pretty much everyone who is using their phones a lot and switch between apps frequently.
    What is the proposed function? The user launches a bar which contains shortcuts to their most used, favorite and/or custom assigned apps and websites, clicking on one of these shortcuts launches the app/website in split-screen view for quick user interaction.
    What is the user value? The user gains much-improved productivity and gets to spend less or even no time searching for apps in their home screens and app drawers.
    If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior? The closest example would be having your favorite apps in the home screen so the user can launch them faster, but that's so 2010. Recents is also close, providing users with all their open apps, and that's where the problem is, your favorite apps are shuffled between a bunch more apps you launched for a few seconds. ShortApp offers a faster way of launching apps from within other apps, either you want to check them for a few seconds or a few minutes, allows the user to interact with both their primary app and the secondary through the use of split screen, and also offers a close button so that the app that was only launched for a small use doesn't burden the Recents menu.

The logic behind ShortApp is:
    We already offer the user ways to find what they want quickly for things that would otherwise feel like a burden, like looking for the WiFi settings, the user can go to settings and spend time looking for the WiFi settings, or just long-press on the WiFi quicksettings tile. The same principle applies to ShortApp, looking for an app that the user wants to open for jsut a few seconds, tend to become a nuisance, even if the user has their favorite apps on the homescreen for fast access, leaving the current app and opening that app still becomes slow and then using recents to go back to the main app leaves a trace back to the recents.

So to simplify things up: The ShortApp bar is launched through a button on navbar or preferably through a gesture or button combination, the ShortApp bar displays a maximum of five most used, favorite, per-app assigned apps/websites or a mix of those, after the user clicks on a ShortApp shortcut, the selected app launches in split screen view to allow for fast interaction between apps for those few seconds or minutes that the users intend to use the second app for. The user can then either close or expand the ShortApp. Closing the ShortApp won't place it in the recents to avoid clutter.

The following diagram shows a simple example of how the ShortApp is supposed to work. The design is not the final one, just an early iteration, the settings icon in the bar itself was only placed in AdobeXD to let me simulate going into Setting, as was the navigation bar OnePlus logo button to let me launch the ShortApp bar:
    https://imgur.com/vbrdVFO

The following video shows basic functionality with animations:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S4Tv9a3o50O651dRJFyvFa47F9_1E4hU

The following is an AdobeXD file that allows anyone with AdobeXD(a free UX program) to test the function themselves(including OnePlus people):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jjMchvNHeeuWb7Tny1MQUUPmGz66IyBv

From the Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience? Absolutely!
    From the developers - how will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature? A gesture triggers a custom dialog that will show 5 most-used, favorite and or per-app assigned shortcuts to apps/websites, clicking on one of the shortcut launches the selected app in split screen mode or if its a link, launches the link to a chrome-powered tab, a close button will close the ShortApp completely and remove it from the Recents.
    From UX Design – what will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey? The user will be able to launch their favorite apps quickly in split screen mode quickly for any amount of time they see fit.

This is the end of my idea, I wish I had more time to design it even better and also explain it with better examples or format this post better. Even if I don't win, I would like to see something similar implemented in the future since this is something I have convinced myself to either have someone else do it, or I'll do it myself.

Thanks for your interest and enjoy your new phone whoever wins!