#PMChallenge - Smart Folders

1. ZephyrITA
    Froyo Feb 21, 2019

ZephyrITA , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Hello, my name is Fabio, I have already had the opportunity to introduce myself during my first #PMChallenge project (that you can find here), but now I want to introduce you my second one: SmartFolders.

PS: (My english is not the best, I hope you can understand).

[​IMG]

As a fan of graphics, I have always had the "habit" of having a maniacal care about the Home Screen of my OnePlus 5, I wanted it to be perfect in my eyes and in the eyes of those who looked at my Smartphone.
    I have therefore I always went looking for IconPack, wallpapers and graphic improvements that could make it exclusive, sometimes even sacrificing practicality, for example, not leaving on the home applications that for me were useful but that undermine the visual impact of the Home Screen.

I have always liked the homepage to be very clean, with few apps, the essential ones, that I used to use and that therefore took the "place of honor" in my Home Screen.

[​IMG]

But I realized that the number of app I was using during the day increased, and as we all know, if we use very often an app it’s a lot more convenient to have it on the homepage.

[​IMG]

I ended up using the folders, not that nice to see but very convenient to use especially to keep in order the applications you use most and maybe to group those related to each other (a basic example could be the "Social" folder to group the Social Networks that we use the most).

The concept of "folder" has always remained unchanged, both conceptually and graphically, because it is actually a concept as trivial as it is useful: the idea of "grouping". This concept has never felt the need to change because is consolidated for years.

Following you can see how a normal works on the OnePlus Launcher on OxygenOS

After this short introduction, let's start talking about SmartFolders.

Starting by saying that SmartFolders is not a substitute for normal folders on OxygenOS, but they are just an upgrade concept. It is something graphically nicer, fast and immediate.

The idea behind the concept is explained here (with an animated concept below):
    • You execute a swipe (in any direction) on the icon you want to create a SmartFolder with
    • During the swipe, around the icon, 4 "slots" will be displayed (depending on where it is positioned) and you can choose a maximum of 4 applications to add in those slots
    • Clicking on one of them a screen will display where you can add the application
      • You can find the desired application using a search bar
      • You can immediately choose the application from the list of related applications (for example with Instagram the related applications could be Boomerang or Direct)
      • You can also choose the desired application from the list of applications installed on your device ordered in alphabetical order
    • If a SmartFolder has already been created, by pressing and holding on any application in the SmartFolder, the menu for selecting applications will appear. So you can add another app, replace the existing one or remove it using the "Remove" button

FOLLOWING THE SMARTFOLDERS ANIMATED PROTOTYPE

As already mentioned, you can create a SmartFolder for any application you want and you can insert a maximum of 4 applications. Not necessarily the applications must be related to the main application on which the SmartFolder is created. For example, if you want to create a SmartFolder on the Instagram application you can also enter Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc. or you can create a SmartFolder on a yellow application and add other applications of yellow color.

SmartFolders is not only a graphic beautiful improvement, but it is also a function that would allow users to increase the speed in choosing specific application without running into the dispersiveness. This could also avoid the possibility of forgetting which app has been inserted in which folder.
    The normal folders will still be a very useful tool if you want to group together large quantities of applications or applications that are not related to each other according to some criteria.

Who are the users?
    All users who want to keep their phone tidy without sacrificing graphic cleanliness and without sacrificing speed in searching for an application. All users who use the smartphone will be attracted by the use of this feature to organize their applications at best.

What is the proposed function?
    A new type of folder, smart, easy, immediate and fast.

What is the user value?
    Having a tool to organize applications in the launcher without compromising the graphic beauty of a "clean" launcher with the use of classic folders.

If there are existing functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Personally I'm not aware of other operating systems that have this feature, so I think this feature is a real innovation. It could change the way you organize the applications in a smartphone.

I hope you appreciate this idea and I hope that, with your help, could really become an upgrade in OxygenOS. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

2. alessiodales
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2019

alessiodales , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Ciao,
    OnePlus considera soltanto un thread per utente. Ti consiglio di tenerne uno solo come ho fatto io.
    Complimenti per l'animazione!

3. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

Liehjan , Feb 21, 2019 :
    I would use this feature for sure!:)

ZephyrITA likes this.
  4. ZephyrITA
    Froyo Feb 21, 2019

Ah davvero? Solo 1? Che peccato..

alessiodales likes this.
  5. ZephyrITA
    Froyo Feb 21, 2019

Thank you! I'm glad you like it

6. alessiodales
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2019

alessiodales , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Purtroppo si.
    Ho chiesto a loro direttamente. 1 thread per user. o_O

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 21, 2019 :
    This is basically a launcher feature, and not OOS feature. Apex, Nova and some other launchers offer similar features. When you call 'smart' folder, it should be something that automatically populates the contents, based on some criteria like frequently used apps, or category of apps like social apps, etc. That said, I personally don't prefer it because I don't prefer dynamism in this case. I would always want to have complete control on the contents of the folder, so I know where exactly to find the app I need.

Apex launcher is the best in this aspect because it allows assigning "swipe up" and "swipe down" for every icon on the homescreen, including folders. Plus, with the ability to have multiple docks, it becomes super easy to launch frequently used apps.

I also like a clean homescreen, and Apex launcher is kind of perfect for my requirement. I have just 2 homepages and 3 docks. Some screenshots:

Screenshot_Apex_Launcher_20190221-194237.png

Screenshot_Apex_Launcher_20190221-194338.png

Screenshot_Apex_Launcher_20190221-194224.png

Screenshot_Apex_Launcher_20190221-194307.png

alessiodales likes this.
  8. ZephyrITA
    Froyo Feb 21, 2019

Allow me to disagree with you, my idea is to improve the OnePlus Launcher, which, until proven otherwise, is part of OxygenOS, so yes, this would be an addition to the OnePlus Launcher and therefore also to OxygenOS. Not everyone likes to change the launcher, many people are very comfortable with the stock OnePlus launcher and this feature would then be a default functionality that any user can enjoy once they get their phone. Also the functionality described by the launcher you have examined is a bit different conceptually and graphically too.

mahyunk likes this.