#PMChallenge Smart Radiation Genital's Protection :-)

1. Djalil87
    Eclair Feb 4, 2019

Djalil87 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    - Who are the users?
    Every woman who puts her 1+ phone in her jean's back pocket.
    Every men who puts his 1+ phone in his jean's side pocket.
    Everyone who sleeps with his 1+ phone near him during night.
    - What is the proposed function?
    This suggestion I propose is made regardless of any studies that makes the case for or against radiations of smartphone. This is just based on the logic that less radiation is better. Also based on the fact that 3G emits less radiation than 4G.

The purpose of this feature (please find another name for it ;-)) is to reduce radiation exposure of the user when the phone is locked and stored in the user's pocket without losing connectivity and the ability to receive notifications.

The idea is that, if this function is enabled from the dedicated setting, it is activated when the user locks his phone and puts it in his pocket or just after a small timer while still being locked, the preferred network setting should be switched automatically from 4G/LTE to 3G. When the user unlocks his phone the network reverts back automatically to 4G for maximum connectivity.

TIP:
    To increase the speed of the 3G > 4G switching back, the phone can detect, using the proximity sensor, that it has just been removed from the pocket, assuming that the user is going to unlock it.
    - What is the user value?
    Less radiation when not needed.
    More battery life if switching to 3G Network is done when good signal is detected.​

- If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    As far as I know, no similar feature in other phones.​

- How to implement this function?
    This feature should be simply implemented as a toggle setting in the Network setting page. A small text should be displayed near the setting to explain what the feature does.

Here's how I do it using Automate:

[​IMG]
    Cheers !
    Djalil.

[Update 1: Considering @NateDev comment on 3G power consumption when low 3G signal strength]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

2. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 4, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Considering the risks of smartphone radiation are a complete conspiracy with zero supporting evidence, I'm going to consider this as a joke thread and respond accordingly:

LOL

3. seppralot
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

seppralot , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Considering it being completely harmless, would you agree to test my purpose-built human size microwave oven on yourself?

4. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 4, 2019

Liehjan , Feb 4, 2019 :
    AFAIK all oneplus devices have a radiation level well below any dangerous level... But your idea isn't bad at all, I just don't see the point implementing this in the OS

Djalil87 likes this.
  5. KeepTransisting

6. din100
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

din100 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    what evidence you have to prove your theory. We don't have enough data to come to any conclusion.

7. KeepTransisting

There has been a lot of research done in the last decade. The one study that showed a link to cell phone radiation and cancer in rats was with such a high dose that it would compare to a human standing inside a 700 watt microwave oven. See my link above.

Not to mention my anecdotal evidence of having a smartphone right next to my dick for the past decade and having given my wife two healthy kids to pop out in the last three years.

toastytoast1234, strafer and SoniaB like this.
  8. seppralot
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

It's adjustable from 200mW to 2kW. What maximum power would you dial in before entering?

Please give two answers, one for each emitter: spherical and beam shaped (pointing at your... kids-giving-devices) characteristic.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

9. Djalil87
    Eclair Feb 4, 2019

Djalil87 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Guys, I'm just saying if less radiation is possible when not needed, why not. If I have to chose between harmless and even more harmless, I will choose the later.

seppralot likes this.
  10. seppralot
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

Yeah, totally reasonable. Sorry for getting off topic...

Djalil87 likes this.
  11. KeepTransisting

Then you'll need to stand in a Faraday cage all day, because the amount of wifi / bluetooth / radio / cellular waves that are traveling through your body at any moment would blow your mind.

12. seppralot
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

He said less, not zero.

13. NateDev
    Honeycomb Feb 4, 2019

NateDev , Feb 4, 2019 :
    3g will actually give worse battery life due to the fact that in some areas the towers for 4G are stronger and more prevalent, meaning the phone has to work harder to acquire and maintain a signal.

"If you live between cell edges or where a coverage of 3G/4G ends then handovers will kill your battery. "
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIDRAE&usg=AOvVaw2QHM3VOqzu64NVFf95j-tW

3g uses less battery while it's in use, but it's not in use when it's in your pocket.

Just adding this on to the already ongoing discussion about how the amount of radiation cellphones put out is negligible.

Djalil87 likes this.
  14. Hydra Bob
    Starting Point Expert Feb 4, 2019

Hydra Bob , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Or they could just sell these on the OnePlus accessory page with a built in phone pocket added. Non-existent problem solved.

[​IMG]

15. seppralot
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

Makes sense. So in order to save power/reduce radiation, uplink signal strength would need to be considered when choosing the preferred network.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

Djalil87 and NateDev like this.
  16. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

dsmonteiro , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Your image is broken:

upload_2019-2-5_22-31-45.png

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  17. Djalil87
    Eclair Feb 6, 2019

18. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 6, 2019

SoniaB , Feb 6, 2019 :
    why specifically the back pocket. If you are looking at genital protection then surely it would be the front pocket, no?

I repeat the same as my reply above

So this does not make sense.

You are suggesting that a phone should not be close to body genitalia but say if it's on my bedside table, then that's just as bad? It's nearby enough, no? Also, why only genitalia? Surely the rest of your body is just as exposed to radiation. It's not like the radiation goes "ooh vagina" or "ooh penis" and targets it specifically.

Why even have a phone? How are we meant to carry it, use it. A phone nearby during the night would the same as a phone nearby during the day.

Also radiation (SAR) levels are regulated. No device omitting radiation above a certain level is allowed to be sold.

I think our genitalia is safe.

19. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 6, 2019

meatandy , Feb 6, 2019 :
    I carry my device in my back pocket , does that make me a woman ?

20. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 6, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 6, 2019 :
    According to OP, yes. And your genitals are at risk. So is your nightstand.