#PMChallenge - Smart Suggestions

1. Moww
    Donut Feb 21, 2019

Moww , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Welcome and thanks for taking the time to read through this topic.

Introduction:
    The definition of 'smart' has evolved over time.
    Nowadays we have high expectations from our mobile phones and we rely on them much more than any other tool before. We spend quite a lot of money on our new phone and make it present around us everywhere we go. But still, a lot of 'smart' phones are nothing more than just a container stuffed with hardware. Yes, of course, there is a bunch of software out there as well, some are extremely handy and others are just not it.
    Now imagine: If only all the good software (apps) we have could work well together and understand how, when, and why we use it. It could create an even better experience, we could become much more productive, achieve better task success and make every penny spend on that smartphone really worth it.

In this topic I'll suggest my proposal for software that would contribute to this imagination.

Problem definition:
    How might we improve the user experience and increase the efficiency of the smartphone usage?

'Same sh*t different day'
    We all have these moments where we pause and reflect to find ourselves doing the same things on our mobile phone over and over, day in day out and then wonder: 'Couldn't this be done more efficiently?'

Who are the users:
    This service is for people like you and me, where an average day or week consists of (parts of) routines and repetitions. It is for users who value productivity and for whom every tap and every second counts.

What is the proposed function:
    Personalizing your smartphone and bringing ease of use to the next level by pro-actively giving suggestions based on your previous behavior/ routines and making this accessible with just one tap of a finger.

What is the user value:
    - Convenience at a tap of a finger.
    - Higher productivity
    - Personalized experience
    - Better task success
    - Control & utilization

How does it work:
    Let's take for example an average morning of Jessica life:
    Jessica is single and a career tiger in her mid-30s.
    She works at a bank as a recruiter and has a busy schedule, time is money.

Jessica wakes up every morning during the week at 06.15
    When she wakes up, she often browses the news in bed on her phone before she hits the kitchen for breakfast. After breakfast, she usually checks her agenda for meetings and events happening this day.
    Then she prepares herself for the commute to work, her commute takes about half an hour by car. She always listens to music during her commute.

Because this morning routine is quite consistent for most of the days, Smart Suggestions predicts Jessica's next move and shows this to her on her Always on screen / her lock screen.

Jessica just has to place and hold her finger on the fingerprint unlock area to unlock and already launch her next action to take.
    [​IMG]
    Routine scenario Smart suggestions.png

Now how does this work when the phone is already unlocked?
    Just swipe up and hold to view your Recents and your Smart Suggestion
    IMG_20190221_181124.jpg

What happens to the Quick Launch shortcuts?
    Your Quick launch shortcuts became pinned suggestions that are always available at the end of the list.
    IMG_20190221_181102.jpg
    [​IMG]
    What are the suggestions based on? / What about privacy?
    Suggestions can be based on your day to day App usage, Location, Phone activities, and Calendar events.
    Of course, in the settings you can disable or enable any of these factors. Moreover, you can even exclude suggestions that might be sensitive.
    Settings Smart suggestions.png

Overview:
    Overview ss.png

How is this different from existing competitors/ features?
    OnePlus - Quick launch
    Well, of course, some of us might know this handy feature that comes along with the OxygenOS. Convenient and easy to use, the only problem is that it is hidden somewhere in the settings and after activating the feature, it has no visible cue or nudges so most of us end up forgetting about it. And that is if you've discovered it...
    Clearly, Smart Suggestions makes use of the OP Quick Launch functionality - as a means - but is totally different in how it works.
    Where the OP Quick Launch functionality is a pre-programmed static short-cut launcher, Smart Suggestions is dynamic and learns from your routines, it focusses primarily on serving your next step to take.
    Secondary to that there is at the end of the list room for your pinned suggestions/ shortcuts.

Apple - Siri App Suggestions
    Sure, some (former) Apple device owners (like me) might relate Smart Suggestions with Siri App Suggestions. In a way, Smart Suggestions does indeed provide suggestions just like Siri App Suggestions. But it is different. And here is why:

Just try it -> Google "Siri app suggestions"
    The first 10 results are about how to turn this sh*t off.

Privacy:
    Siri App suggestions tends to know it all and show it all.
    The suggestions made by Siri sometimes expose sensitive information and this is already visible from your lock-screen.
    Some apps (features) are even accessible from the lock screen without unlocking.

Control:
    Apple decides what you get to see not the other way around.
    There is no way you can exclude apps or features from the suggestions Siri makes.
    Moreover, Siri's suggestions became a platform for spam and a way for third parties to clutter your phone with their news and adds.
    And as if that is not enough Siri suggestions itself became bloatware. It is exposing you already on your lock screen, it takes your whole screen real estate when using the search feature, it's inevitable in your Today view or when using the Look-Up feature.
    Its clear that there is no way for customizing it, but turning it off seems to be also a hassle.

Smartness:
    Even though its called Siri app suggestions when you ask Siri the (voice) assistant about suggestions she replies back that she has no clue.
    The suggestions that are made are perceived as overwhelming and irrelevant when they come from third parties.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

Peybro, Venky61, meatandy and 5 others like this.
  2. YRJ
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2019

YRJ , Feb 24, 2019 :
    You did an amazing job!!
    I loved reading this and Jessica is a busy woman :p

One question:
    Does this apply for unemployed people? :D

Thank you so much for sharing this. The best PMchallenge thread I have read :)

Oh btw, welcome to the community!
    I wish you an amazing time here, will see you around :)

meatandy likes this.
  3. Moww
    Donut Feb 25, 2019

Moww , Feb 25, 2019 :
    Thank you very much, for your reply and support :)
    In my mind, I wanted to keep it short and visually but ended up making a life story :rolleyes:

@ your question; whether smart suggestions would apply also for unemployed people?
    Well, yes of course, you should see smart suggestions as a feature/ service of your phone that calculates which apps you use most frequently and at what times and then suggest these apps to you around the calculated time.

So if you watch youtube videos every night just before going to bed (which I would not recommend:p) the youtube shortcut would show up at your Lock screen / Always on screen, just around that time when you ususally go to bed.
    Now you can unlock and open youtube right from your screen with just one tap.

And if you have sleep problems because of this convenience, I would recommend excluding youtube in the smart suggestions settings and add sleep cycle or headspace to your pinned suggestions. :D

YRJ likes this.
  4. YRJ
    Lollipop Feb 25, 2019

YRJ , Feb 25, 2019 :
    I swear to God just switched from YouTube to see your post!

Do we know each other? :p

Great thread great idea!
    Not sure whether they will implement it or not, if they do I will welcome it!

Thanks a lot for your entry, your entry was a pleasure to read~

alessiodales and Moww like this.
  5. Venky61
    Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2019

Venky61 , Feb 26, 2019 :
    A very well presented Idea.... All the best :)
    I have thought... What if the lockscreen shows the content from the smart App directly on it according to the time. No need to even unlock the phone.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 26, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 26, 2019 :
    First off, good effort and presentation.

Coming to application aspect:

When I started exploring automation apps like Tasker, Macrodroid, etc . I used to automate a lot of tasks and would be highly impressed with how the app would handle all the jobs so well.

Over time, I realized many (or most) of these were actually gimmicky and had little practical application. And sometimes they would do just the opposite of what you want. Not the app's fault, but the dynamic nature of our schedules and circumstances.

Also, if you have set up your app to automatically silence the phone during meetings, you will still do a manual check to make sure it is on silent. The point is, you might as well do this manually making the automation process redundant.

So, in my opinion, this concept will have very little practical use and therefore doesn't have my vote (no offense).

YRJ likes this.
  7. Moww
    Donut Feb 27, 2019

Moww , Feb 27, 2019 :
    Thanks for your support.
    Concerning your idea, this could be an interesting enrichment, though with this the privacy discussions rise up as well.
    Enabling content already from your lock screen requires additional customization from the end-users perspective.
    This is exactly where it goes wrong when you look at how competitors like Apple do this. See also the spoiler in the main thread.

8. Moww
    Donut Feb 27, 2019

Moww , Feb 27, 2019 :
    Thank you for your feedback, critical feedback sharpens the idea. ;)
    As to what you mentioned about automating apps and tasks, Smart Suggestions is exactly not about automating.:eek:

As the title already suggests, it is about suggesting apps and actions based on the previous context, leaving it completely up to the user to choose whether to go for the suggested app by holding their finger longer on the unlock area or simply ignoring the suggestion by casually unlocking the phone.:cool:

Aside from that I completely agree on what you say about automating apps, like tasker etc, that become gimmicky over time.
    Therefore I believe that there is a need for something that is less obligatory/ fixed, but still gives this convenient/ smart feeling whenever it does match your next step to take.
    That is where Smart Suggestions is positioned. :cool: