#PMChallenge - "Sort+" Advanced Photo Organizer Feature

1. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

Venky61, Feb 9, 2019 :
    upload_2019-2-8_19-15-11.png

Introduction
    Gone are those days when we had to keep a track of the storage space left on the phone. With the minimum storage space marching towards 128GB, we don't stress about how many pictures we are capturing and the gallery just gets piled up.

Finding set of photos from a particular party or trip or work is very difficult unless you have the patience to sit and sort out your pictures into different folders. Wouldn't it be great to see your pictures organized into folders? Obviously it can't do on its own as only we know how we want them to be organized.

SORT+ exactly addresses that issue and gives a smart way to organize photos according to your requirement and makes the gallery less messy.

Users
    Every user who takes many pictures with their mobile camera and wants the pictures to be better organized.

To be more specific
    • A photographer who wants to keep the images taken during photo shoots/experiments separate from the regular pictures.
    • A frequent traveler who likes to keep the travel pictures separate to the others.
    • A party animal who loves to keep all those party pictures in a different folder.
    • All OCD users like me who struggle to keep the gallery more clean and organized :p
    Proposed function
    The proposed feature is to be able to move the captured images to specific folder by setting a simple rule based on date and time.

Logic Behind & Process Flow
    I will start with an Example:
    We all know that @Ruby G. is enjoying her Holidays. What if she wants to have an easy access to the pictures taken during this holiday break in let's say July 2019 or later.

Let's list out the options available now to make this happen,

• After the holiday ends, create a new folder and select all the photos captured during the holiday and transfer. You can only select 4 pictures at a time. So if you have around 100 pictures- 25 clicks will do the job. (or)
    • Upload all the pictures to Google Photos and go to the web version where you can select all the required pictures in 2-3 clicks, create an Album. Here if you have limited storage space then you would upload image of reduced image quality. (or)
    • Scroll through all the images in the gallery and reach the images you are looking for. (or)
    • Go to Places Tab in the gallery and select the location. This results in exactly those pictures only if, The Location tag was kept ON & All pictures are from one country . (or)
    • Go to Google Photos and Type the Month and year, it will bring you all the pictures captured in that period.
    Note: In the last two options, if you have captured pictures in the same location or same duration, then you would be shown other pictures too which might not be ideal during many situations.

Now what if she had an option to make these images moved to a specified folder on their own once the holiday ended ?

There will be an Option in Gallery "SORT+".

• Click SORT+.
    • Give a Folder Name (Ex: New Year 2019)
    • Select Date & Time to Start and End.
    • Check back gallery after the End time- All Photos captured between Start & End time would have been moved from Camera folder to New year 2019 Folder.

User has the option to either create New folder or select existing folders. Here's how the Gallery looks with and without Sort+.

upload_2019-2-10_21-56-36.png

SORT+ is the solution I propose for that. Here's a side by side view of the present gallery design and with SORT+. It works on creating a Simple Rule based on Date and Time.

upload_2019-2-9_18-6-15.png
    Once the user clicks on the SORT+ option, they will be welcomed with a window to either create a new rule or modify an existing one.
    upload_2019-2-9_13-33-50.png

Once the user clicks on Create, either a New folder can be created or one existing in the Collections can be selected.
    upload_2019-2-9_13-38-26.png
    Once the Folder is created or Selected, user needs to select the Start and End duration with date and time.

If the user opens the SORT+ feature on 11th Feb 10 PM, the default values set in Start and End will be 11th Feb 10 PM and 11th Feb 11 PM. This way user can just click confirm without even changing any values for creating a quick rule when in need. As the persistent notification option is available, they can extend from their if required.

Once the duration ends, the images will be transferred to the specified folder.

Note: The transfer happens only after the duration ends. If not quick access of last clicked images in camera app would be difficult.
    Thanks to @grouperb's inputs for giving a quick option to create a rule.
    upload_2019-2-10_21-44-23.png
    For modifying an existing Rule/Schedule Sort+, there will be following options
    • "Extend" - To extend the end time by fixed duration. 1hr, 3hr, 5hr etc,
    • "End Now" - To end the Rule instantly.
    • "Delete" - To delete the Rule/ Scheduled Sort+ if you changed your mind or the plan is cancelled.
    • "Edit Folder Name"
    • "Change Folder" - To change the selected folder to another existing one.
    • "Toggle Notification"
    If "Show Notification" is selected, a persistent notification would be created at start time with the options to modify. If not the user can go from gallery and modify.

upload_2019-2-9_15-9-19.png
    Here's an overall view of the process flow and the view of gallery with and without Sort+
    upload_2019-2-9_16-0-20.png

upload_2019-2-10_21-56-36.png
    User value
    User can organize images by creating a schedule which is as simple as a reminder/calendar event, which gives him/her a faster way to access the images when required without the trouble of manually selecting hundreds of photos.
    Also, user can share the phone with others to show some holiday pictures without the fear of accidentally showing other weird pictures in the Camera Roll.

Existing Comparable Feature
    There is no existing App or feature that provides similar features, at least to my knowledge.

Though there are few 3rd party gallery apps like A+ Gallery that give an option to sort based on the location, select all and transfer to a folder. But again for this to happen the location tagging should have been turned ON. With "Select All" it will also select the other pictures taken in that location.

Also ... I strongly feel there should be "Select All" option in the gallery app.

Update:

So, I realized that as the feature is something that's related to clicking pictures, the option should be accessible from the Camera App too. After all if the icon is visible while capturing the picture, user will has more probability of using it to organize in a better way. Integration between native apps should be easy too. There's anyway so much empty space lying around in the camera App ;) :p
    So here's the picture of camera app with the feature lying just beside the google lens icon. The process remains the same with just an additional shortcut for easy access.
    upload_2019-2-21_18-29-46.png
    End Note:
    Thanks for reading through the crazy Idea. Though the flow sheet makes its look like a hell of a task, but believe me, if you see its just similar to scheduling a calendar event.

I know many users might say that you cannot predict when you would be taking a picture. But unplanned pictures are normally few compared to hundreds of planned ones during trips, photo shoots or parties...at least in my experience.

All your views and suggestions are welcomed :) I once again thank @Ruby G. for bringing such interesting and brainstorming contests to the community. And apologies for using your holiday as example.

I have seen many great ideas. All the best to all the entries and though there will only be One winner, I would love to see Oneplus archiving all our ideas and implementing the useful & feasible ones in further updates :D That's like the actual win for everyone IMO.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM

2. YRJ Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

Venky61 and toastytoast1234 like this.
  3. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 9, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 9, 2019 :
    2/10 for the idea, 10/10 for the presentation.

4. YRJ Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

YRJ, Feb 9, 2019 :
    What was this?? :eek::eek::eek:
    My brain hurts...... You really made that, WoW!!
    upload_2019-2-9_16-0-20.png

Venky61 likes this.
  5. grouperb Froyo Feb 9, 2019

grouperb, Feb 9, 2019 :
    The idea is good. I think you must work on the workflow. It still looks pretty advanced to keep everything on track.

Maybe simplifying the process and have a create photo event shortcut and an end photo event and everything in between is done automatically by the OS.

Tell me what you think about it?

Check out my super fast app access proposal. it has a catchy name too. XD.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/pmchallenge-time-to-soho-fast-super-fast-app-switching.997705/

Your opinion is welcome. thx.

Venky61 likes this.
  6. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

Venky61, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Thanks alot yash... Ha ha... I made it... It looks complex but quite simple... Just gave more options to the user. That's it.

Thankyou so much for your feedback. I know that idea wouldn't please everyone. Its for specific set of people I mentioned in the post. I would love to hear your suggestion for someone who wants an organized gallery without having to select multiple images. :)

Hey..thank you for the feedback. I did think about creating a simple shishort at first but what if you forget stopping it. Sometimes the holidays or trips for days and you dont want to keep selecting every time you take pictures. Its easy to forget stopping.
    But yes an additional option to start and stop instantly can be added for someone who wants that as option. Thanks for this suggestion.

Also if you see closely, its just as creating calender reminder. Example: I am going to a oneplus event, I know the date and time a week before. I will just schedule and am ready long back. Hope this makes sense.

Will check your thread for sure.

YRJ likes this.
  7. grouperb Froyo Feb 9, 2019

grouperb, Feb 9, 2019 :

Venky61

Thanks alot yash... Ha ha... I made it... It looks complex but quite simple... Just gave more options to the user. That's it.

Thankyou so much for your feedback. I know that idea wouldn't please everyone. Its for specific set of people I mentioned in the post. I would love to hear your suggestion for someone who wants an organized gallery without having to select multiple images.

Hey..thank you for the feedback. I did think about creating a simple shishort at first but what if you forget stopping it. Sometimes the holidays or trips for days and you dont want to keep selecting every time you take pictures. Its easy to forget stopping.
    But yes an additional option to start and stop instantly can be added for someone who wants that as option. Thanks for this suggestion.

Also if you see closely, its just as creating calender reminder. Example: I am going to a oneplus event, I know the date and time a week before. I will just schedule and am ready long back. Hope this makes sense.

Will check your thread for sure.​

It makes sense for users who are very organized using their phones....not everyone feels like this... my suggestion is try and keep it simple.

A possible workflow is the following.

1. Press start photo event.
    2. Ask user for length of event. i.e 2hours
    3. Offer user to be reminded 15mins before the end of the event.
    4. Remind user 15mins before the end of the event.
    5.Offer options to extend or end the event.

Something like that should ve enough for the average user.

What do you think?

8. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

Venky61, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Ok first thing...if the user is not organized then they would not want the images to be sorted to a folder anyway.

Secondly... You missed the step of selecting or creating a folder. Without that you will just end up with random folders which you have to go and rename one by one. And once you add that step in the process, its exactly same as what i suggest in first place. Sort+ is the short cut. Instead of length, its duration, instead of reminder its persistent notification. The default option in date forfor st and end can be the present day, that way user can just select time.
    1. Click sort +
    2. Give new folder name.
    3. Select start time and end time.
    4. Select show notification.
    5. Notification is started with option to extend and end instantly.

How is the process scheme proposed complicated that way? Correct me if am wrong.

YRJ and grouperb like this.
  9. grouperb Froyo Feb 9, 2019

grouperb, Feb 9, 2019 :
    I agree with you on your approach.

Coming from a totally PC dominated background I too find folders to be the best organization method.

Perhaps we can share more ideas on our projects on how to improve them.

regards.

Venky61 likes this.
  10. YRJ Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2019

YRJ, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Looks complex to me.... But I get your idea and what you intend to do here and it's cool :D

Venky61 likes this.
  11. Kankechi Eclair Feb 9, 2019

Venky61 likes this.
  12. Neddard KitKat Feb 9, 2019

Neddard, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Not something I would use, but up-voted for you for the sheer effort and thought you've put into this. Especially, the presentation.

Shapeshift3r, mahyunk and Venky61 like this.
  13. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2019

Venky61, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Definitely... That's the whole idea of this contest... Share the thoughts and improvize the ideas. You did give me an idea with which i thought of keeping date default to today ;) will be updated the main post soon.

I am glad you got the idea pewdi... If not my effort would have been wasted :p
    Thanks alot :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. I totally understand that not everyone would use it. Everyone has their prirorities in the features. :)

YRJ and buntycubal like this.
  14. Ruby G. Thinker of Content Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

YRJ, Venky61 and Shivang Joshi like this.
  15. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 11, 2019

Venky61, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Thank you so much @Ruby G. I am glad that the thread could live up to your expectations.
    Also welcome back... Hope you a great holiday :)
    PS: How many pictures did you take during the holidays? :D

YRJ and Ruby G. like this.
  16. Ruby G. Thinker of Content Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 11, 2019 :
    I had a great time! And now dealing with piles and piles of work haha, but worth it. Oh, I probably took less than 100 - I'll curate some to share with everyone later :D

YRJ, Babu_rao_apte and Venky61 like this.
  17. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 12, 2019

Venky61, Feb 12, 2019 :
    Awesome... Am waiting for my holiday break too.
    I can't even imagine the amount of notifications that would have been waiting for you :D
    Waiting for your pictures :)

YRJ and Ruby G. like this.
  18. mahyunk Froyo Feb 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM

mahyunk, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM :
    Great stuff ;)
    Amen to that.

YRJ, Babu_rao_apte and Venky61 like this.
  19. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2019 at 1:22 PM

YRJ, Babu_rao_apte and mahyunk like this.
  20. Shapeshift3r Eclair Feb 18, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Shapeshift3r, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:56 AM :
    That's the spirit :smile:
    I makes me rather sad that in some threads discussion have turned into arguments.
    If you like something say it, if you don't like say it even politely.

Babu_rao_apte and Venky61 like this.