#PMChallenge - SplitScreen + OOS Catalyst

1. Holic
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Holic , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Hello!

I’m Holic, an aspiring PM, and longtime OnePlus aficionado. Before we get started, a quick foreword on how I decided to pursue the following tangents. Although initially hoping to use this opportunity to suggest an improvement to features that bothered me, I quickly realized that there probably exists a perspective or angle that I fail to see and would make more sense to solve. Enter, a quick consumer survey. Speaking to fellow OnePlus users, the following issues cropped up.

Split screen issue:
    For users that use the gestures instead of the keys, entering split screen mode is inherently more difficult due to the number of clicks needed to do so. Especially after the most recent update to 9.0.

File Transfer:
    File transfer has been a sore spot for most Android users as over time, for several factors. Computers have started to ditch the conventional USB-A ports or the general tendency for mid transfer connection loss due to loose connections.

Notification bar access:
    One user presented that access to the notification bar is quite difficult given the ever-increasing sizes of our screens. The need to stretch across and access is not the most convenient and prone to loss of grip.

Brightness based on application:
    Presets for brightness was another issue faced. Intriguing to hear at first, I understood the concerns when the consumer presented his case, stating that the major issue was that he preferred a level of brightness for certain applications and would inadvertently turn down/turn up the brightness every time as the adaptive setting would return a different setting based on past activity.

Depth effect unstable:
    A matter with respect to the bokeh effect of the camera application. Beyond my scope of improvement as it's around image processing. Nonetheless, a part of the list.

File and storage management:
    A better file and storage management solution is sought after by individuals to tackle the clutter that fills up their phones. Irrespective of whether they have 64/128/256 Gb of space, having poor file management turns out to be quite insidious. Users seek to efficiently remove files as well as a one-button option to clear app caches. Quick Fix: Google Files helps with this.

Merge contacts:
    There are instances where there are several contacts with the same name but each having a part of the contacts details. Customer sought a simpler way to merge duplicates.

Notification slide access using fingerprint scanner:
    A suggestion by a consumer to access the notification slider via the fingerprint scanner. Not very practical solutions given that the presence of a dedicated fingerprint scanner has ended and that only in two models (5T/6) one can actually find a convenient use for such a feature.

Taking into consideration the feasibility of each idea and the ability to seamlessly integrate them, I decided to pursue the following tangents:
    1. Split Screen Accessibility
    2. A File Transfer mechanism
    #1 Split Screen Accessibility:

Who are the users?
    Users that use the gesture functionality. Primarily users running Android 9.0.

What is the proposed function?

Ease split screen accessibility, currently veiled behind several transitions, especially for gesture navigation users.

What is the user value?
    Save on time. Ease of use and faster learning curve.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Android 8.0 allowed for long press on an app in the task manager carousel to place in the split screen view. With 9.0, that functionality has been removed.

Proposed Solution:
    Attached below as SplitScreen.pdf

#2 Catalyst: A File Transfer System

Over the years, file transfer methodologies have constantly evolved and the speeds at which we can send and receive data has greatly improved. However, more often than not, to access your files on your phone on another device, one would usually have to resort to using a cable, send it via Bluetooth, or email it to ourselves to download it onto the device. In fact, the last option has been my go-to means of transfer given that I usually do not carry a type C cable at all times. As a result, it gets quite cumbersome in locations without a readily available internet connection, or if the file size is quite high.

A solution to this problem already exists in the market. A good number of people have opted to use Xender, Shareit and other third-party applications to tackle this problem. What’s the underlying issue then?
    Note: TrebleShot is stated to be a great FOSS alternative. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genonbeta.TrebleShot&hl=en_US
    Lacks a direct desktop interface, but definitely a great option.

Proposed Features: (Mobile Interface/OnePlus TV*)
    • File Transfer to Computer (Primary purpose)
    Proposed Features: (Computer Interface)
    • File Transfer
    • Phone diagnostic data
    • Find My Phone integration (Rather than using the Google FMP)
    Value to the consumer:
    • Fast and safe mode of file transfer
    • Seamless experience to transfer files
    • Easy to use UI/UX based on OOS design philosophy
    Who are the users?
    Individuals with high media consumption and file transfer requirements.

What is the proposed function?
    Dedicated means to transfer files seamlessly between a OnePlus device to computers.

What is the user value?
    High-speed file transfer allows for a simple yet effective method to transfer files between devices, a woe faced by most users in the Android ecosystem.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    ShareIt, Xender, and other similar solutions are existing in the market. However, these apps are riddled with ads and consumers have to trust in a third party application with respect to the transfer of personal data.

FileDash, OnePlus’s inbuilt rapid transfer system exists and solves the issue of file sharing between fellow users using the File Manager. However, connectivity is limited to within the File Manager only and cannot be accessed via third-party applications.

The overall idea of Catalyst is to serve as a foundation towards an integrated network of devices. A FileDash 2.0 to begin with, it stands to encourage seamless connectivity between devices paving the way to a mini ecosystem for these devices. Furthermore, future expansions into new segments such as the rumored OnePlus TV and any other tech space, i.e., wearables, tablets, etc. would be supported by this platform, serving as the central support in a growing tech “banyan tree”. And hence, the name Catalyst. A seemingly small idea, set to rapidly change the way we use and connect between our devices. Some may argue it’s already been done and that there’s not much else to improve here, but if I’m not mistaken, we are the OnePlus community after all.

We, Never Settle.

Catalyst-01.jpg Catalyst-01.jpg Catalyst-02.jpg Catalyst-01.jpg Catalyst-02.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

Diegoeo99 likes this.