#PMCHALLENGE - Statusbar Brightness Slider

1. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Praty_28, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Statusbar brightness slider is natively available in a few custom roms. This feature has always been underrated but it is still available via certain xposed modules such as GravityBox.

This feature got buried maybe because it was too complex to use or maybe it took a bit of getting used to before you could accurately use it.

I've made some modifications to the original feature so that even the non tech savy users could use this feature and get used to it without any difficulty.

Now i'll proceed to the required Q&A about my feature.

1. Who are the users?
    The users who do not use adaptive brightness will benefit the most from this feature. I personally feel irritated by the frequent brightness level changes caused by the adaptive brightness feature so i stick to manual brightness adjustment.

People who feel the same but still are using adaptive brightness due to the tedious process of pulling down of statusbar twice (once to get to the notifications panel and then again swipe down for quicksettings panel where the slider is located) might also switch to this feature as the process is almost instantaneous.

2. What is the proposed function?
    The purposed function is an imaginary brightness slider over the statusbar. This will eliminate the two step process which is currently required to manually adjust the brightness level.

For this feature to work you need to long press anywhere on statusbar which will trigger a haptic vibration and a visual brightness slider will appear on the screen (long press is required to prevent accidental brightness change while pulling down statusbar) . After the vibration the slider mode will be enabled and you can swipe horizontally over the statusbar to increase/decrease the brightness level. The visual slider which had appeared after long press will simultaneously move as you swipe on statusbar this will help new users to understand the proportion of swipe required to adequately adjust the brightness level. After one gets used to this feature he/she can then disable the visual slider and only use the imaginary slider to easily adjust brightness levels.

3. What is the uservalue?
    The user will have an ease of access benefit while adjusting brightness levels, he/she shall not have to pull the statusbar down twice in order to reach the slider in quicksettings.

This feature will also come handy while using the device under bright sunlight. When the brightness is set at 0% and the user tries to use his phone under bright sunlight, it is very difficult to locate the brightness slider under such circumstances.

But with this feature you know exactly where the brightness slider is even when you cannot actually see anything on the display, just keep your finger right under the top bezel as soon as you feel the vibration you know the slider is on and you can just slide your finger all the way to the right and poof 100% brightness.

4. If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Afaik, no. No other phone in the market has this feature. This feature is only available in a few xposed modules. Also it is in its original form which is a bit complex to use for the users who are not tech-savvy.

5. Does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    Yes, the whole point of this feature is to create a burdenless experience for the user. It will make brightness adjustment a single step feature and people who do not like the frequent screen flickering due to the adaptive brightness feature can switch to using this feature.

6. How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    This feature should have zero impact on the existing OS as it only modifies the statusbar area and as the slider is imaginary/transparent it will not block any notifications in the statusbar.
    In fact this will help creating more space in the quicksettings area as the traditional slider will no longer be required. (The user should be given an option to disable quicksettings slider or keep both enabled)

I hope these questions and answers are sufficient to describe this new feature. I have added some screenshots which will explain my feature in a more simplified way.
    Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-11-10.jpg Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-14-07.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Tedious process?

Havoc rom has that feature.

3. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Praty_28, Feb 5, 2019 :
    It is more time consuming isn't it? Also under bright sunlight it is a tedious process to locate the brightness slider without misclicking and toggling other quicksettings icons.

Oh thanks for bringing it to my attention i did not know other roms still have this feature. I tried a few aosp custom roms, but they did not have this feature.

4. BeingIncog Marshmallow Feb 5, 2019

BeingIncog, Feb 5, 2019 :
    skydragon for 3/3T also has!!! in short it's not dead feature!!!

5. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Praty_28, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Good to know:) i guess it will make a good addition to OxygenOS aswell.

BeingIncog likes this.
  6. Tarun_334 Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

Tarun_334, Feb 5, 2019 :
    It's a good feature, but now that we have the notch we will be swiping on the front camera. They might become dirty and every time you want to take a selfie you will need to clean it. Is there a possible solution for this?

Praty_28 likes this.
  7. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Praty_28, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Yes this came to my mind, in notch cases the sensitivity of the swipe could be doubled, this way only swiping halfway should be enough to get to 100% brightness. Also, there is a chance that oneplus 7 is completely bezel-less, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

Tarun_334 likes this.