#PMChallenge – System wide Firewall

1. hennes KitKat Feb 15, 2019

hennes, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Foreword: Although I certainly belong to a very small minority and I also know that this contribution will certainly not be appreciated, I would like to introduce it, because I am slowly losing the desire for android because of the increasing ignorance of developers regarding the integration of tracking tools into their apps, the bloadware integration on the part of the OS manufacturers, because it becomes more and more difficult to control its data. Of course, there are enough other reasons my PMCallenge-Entry won't be accepted, here would be to mention, that OnePlus is obstructing itself, because only the support for such a thing could become too big, but also and this will be the more important point, if the devices of OnePlus with OxygenOS will no longer certified by google, a firewall would be able to prevent all advertisements offered in-app, if the app is not granted internet access, Well, I could go on like this for a while now, because from the point of view of the manufacturers and the app developers there's always something against it, only the user doesn't have a voice here, so the chance that we will see a Firewall in Oxygen is approximately 0%, but let's leave that and let's start! :):D

Who are the users?

Probably just me and a few. But maybe more than I think, at least in Europe, the part of those who would prefer a firewall, might be bigger than I think, it's the DSVGO and the general privacy policy.

What is the proposed function?

The proposed function is to give the user a system app with which he can edit and modify the IPTables without first rooting his device. The app then offers a simple overview of how to block or release apps directly from access via LAN, WLAN, mobile phone and roaming.

What is the user value?

The benefit for the user is that with many apps he has control over the sent data, because nothing can be sent if the app is not granted to a connections. Furthermore it reduces the mobile data consumption a lot, because not all apps can transfer data in the background. It would also make the system a lot more secure.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

Yes CopperheadOS. Otherwise, there are certainly firewalls on the market, such as AFWall+, or other systems like Blokada with an internal VPN connection trying to get rid of data collection. However, I don't know of any device manufacture operating system that has a firewall directly integrated, and if you set it up yourself, then you need root rights. Whereby there was certainly already a system which has a firewall integrated here on OnePlus, it was designed by a 14 years old student @timos here is the old Thread of his timOS it was based on CM at that time, unfortunately he didn't have time to develop it further.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    The logic behind it is a small app that lists all apps und system apps where you can check or uncheck the respective connections. It would also be possible to edit the IPTables with an editor and or work with scripts, similar to the model of AFWall+.

Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.
    firewall.jpg

So, that was my concern, unfortunately it will never become real, but dreaming is still allowed, right?
    Then I just have to continue rooting.

Oh, and if you want to see which trackers are in the apps you use that way, you can of course drop by here:
    https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/

heller1967, darkwingz, kunal4 and 3 others like this.
  2. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 15, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Solid presentation, I think it's a useful proposal, but maybe you should try feeling a bit more excluded and sorry for yourself in order to garner some sympathy traction.

buntycubal likes this.
  3. woSch Lollipop Feb 16, 2019

woSch, Feb 16, 2019 :
    It's all about self determination :) ...only a few can imagine the processes in the background and the (ab)use of the information collected this way ...

4. cdnfarmer Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2019

cdnfarmer, Feb 16, 2019 :
    Another good example @hennes . This concept would enhance OOS security features and help protect the average unsuspecting user. This idea may not get the traction it deserves but thanks for proposing it.

heller1967, hennes and woSch like this.