#PMChallenge - Taskbar

1. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    A lot of people might need to switch between applications quickly without prior notice and the app menu might be too slow. The feature is for people who, like me, might not have an app running in the background but need to access it in a short span of time.

What is the proposed function?
    An unintrusive taskbar would allow users to easily switch to an app without the need for it to be running in the background. You could be informed that you need to, say, open up a presentation and then quickly just double-tap on the screen and, bam! You're greeted by a taskbar on the right or the top of your screen, depending on your orientation, and then you can open PowerPoint or whatever.

What is the user value?
    Users can use this feature to get things done quicker or just to get something done in a high-pressure time sensitive situation.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    The closest thing I can think of is the top section of apps in the app menu. But the app you need to open up quicky may not necessarily be an app you use very often, so it fails in that aspect.

From any app, a user may open the taskbar by tapping two times in rapid succession. If the screen is in portrait mode, the taskbar will appear on the right(can be adjusted in settings to appear on the left for left-handed users). If the screen is in landscape mode, the taskbar will appear on the right. There will be 5 personalized apps in the top section of the taskbar(or left section if in landscape mode) chosen by the user and in the bottom section of the taskbar(or right section if in landscape mode) will be the 2 most recently used apps(excluding the app currently being used). These two sections will be divided by a line.

Note: Both app icon and app name to be present, of course.

The entire taskbar will occupy one-quarter of the screen width and its entire height(width and height only to be considered with respect to portrait mode). In the top right corner of the screen there will be an X to close the taskbar(with a slick animation, naturally). Also, in landscape mode, the taskbar has to be a bit larger, but it shouldn't bother anyone too much as you're soon gonna leave the app anyway. When you reach an app from the taskbar, the taskbar will automatically close. If you exit the current app or open another without using the taskbar, the taskbar will not close until you press the X button.

Obligatory sketches are presented in approx. 19:9 aspect ratio IMG_20190210_190307__01.jpg IMG_20190210_185119__01.jpg

Does it contribute to a burden less experience?
    I believe it does as it helps the target users to switch apps quickly and easily, without minimal difficulty.

How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    The app currently being used an be resized to a different aspect ratio until the taskbar is closed.

What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    The user experience will be made smoother. The feature is in line with the ideals of OxygenOS. The process of moving to other apps will be made faster as well.

I really hope this feature is added as it will help me in day to day life.

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 10, 2019 :
    this is available in oppo and if i remember also in vivo and i think i saw it too on other oems. so the question if this already exists in industry is answered here.
    an app in play store can do this.
    so i don't suppose adding this would make much sense.

3. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

LegolasX

this is available in oppo and if i remember also in vivo and i think i saw it too on other oems. so the question if this already exists in industry is answered here.
    an app in play store can do this.
    so i don't suppose adding this would make much sense.​

can you please give me a link? I'd really like to know about it. if the app does exist I'll get it immediately. it would be really helpful

4. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2019

5. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

6. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 10, 2019 :
    you have submitted your entry, its up to them now.
    its just i think that they asked for something that already doesn't exists or is not available easily from 3rd party apps.

7. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

they did but I would love this addition to OOS. That's why I made the post in the first place

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 10, 2019 :
    In terms of seconds, do you have an estimate of the time savings per day (or per instance) due to this feature?

In the example given, if I am required to give a presentation, the ppt file would most likely be in my recent apps list, so I can quickly open it. Even if not, I am wondering how long would it take to press the home button, open the app drawer and access the app I want. If it is an important app or a frequently accessed one, I would put it on my home screen.

9. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

maybe this is just a problem I have but I cannot, for the life of me find an app in the app drawer

10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

Then there is something really wrong with the way you use your phone. Getting a little organised may help.

11. G_MisterMythicalMinds_GR Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

maybe I just have too many apps idk

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

1. Launchers allow you to create folders inside the app drawer.
    2. Launchers allow you to create folders on your home screen.
    3. Most importantly, there is a search feature available.

All of the above will help you reach your app faster.

The point is, things like these have been possible for a long time using 3rd party apps, but they never became popular due to the lack of real benefits from them. Much of the apparent benefits were superfluous at best.