#PMChallenge Temporary App Permission manager!

1. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ Eclair Feb 7, 2019

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Hey OnePlus Community!
    Here is my idea to enhance your privacy and peace of mind! Ever worried about apps spying on you, but going to app permissions every time you exit the app is too much of an hassle? Then this is the solution! An App Permission manager integrated into settings app that provides the option of giving temporary app permissions as well as generating a report on when is the app using the permission after you have closed the app!

1549540259287.jpg
    (This photo shows how the entire system works)

1549540609584.jpg
    (This photo shows that a report is generated to check when an app last requested or used an permission while the app was closed)

Who are the users?
    Everyone who cares about apps leeching their private data and spying on them!

What is the proposed function?
    Giving users deeper control over app permissions. For example automatically disabling all permissions granted to an app when the app is closed and auto-enabling it once the app is open again by the users. Giving temporary access to an app for a certain amount of time, etc.

What is the user value?
    The confirmation that apps are not secretly tracking their location or having access to contacts and microphone when the users don't expect it.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Well I don't know any manufacturers that do this. However yes apps do have this functionality. For example the app "Bouncer" can do this. However in my approach apps that are set to "allow permissions" even after they are closed would generate a report every 24 hours showing when the app used that permission after it had been closed so that people would be more aware of the apps spying on them.

I know the following questions were for the Oneplus team to use but I would still like to give an opinion.

Does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    In my opinion, yes it does! The app manager would just be a background process and not intrusive (or even seen in normal usage) unless specifically wanted by the user as it is inside the settings app!

How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    Well I am not a app developer so I can't say definitely but as far as I know not too many. Just the app permission manager itself.

What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    In my opinion it would be simple to understand.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 7, 2019 :
    OOS has an interesting functionality. ability to turn off internet access. I do that for all apps that don't need internet access for core functionality. this way, they can access anything on my phone, but unfortunately for them, they can't leave my phone.

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ likes this.