#PMChallenge Time to SOHO FAST-[UPDATE] Super Fast App Switching.....

1. grouperb Froyo Feb 9, 2019

grouperb, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Priceless....XD

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 10, 2019 :
    I will give you another idea then. if you go to developer options, there is a setting called Background Process Limit, which by default is set to standard. Just change it to 2, 3 or 4. Android will close all apps for you automatically, except for the last 2,3 or 4 apps depending on the number you choose.

again, not recommended because let Android handle it.

3. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2019

Venky61, Feb 10, 2019 :
    My point is why to habe both icon and previews when the idea was to give quick access to switch.
    So what if the recent app gesture brings up just the icon menu like you presented but without any previews. It will be a tranparent background and the prsent app used will be visible. Once you touch the icon, preview shows up and swipe up switches to it. You can decide on this gestures.

grouperb likes this.
  4. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Hello everyone,

Added images to show the menu design features that help users navigate when in minimised or expanded view.

Are there any other cool features that can be implemented to make navigation easier for the user?

Love to hear about your ideas.

Thank you.

5. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Are we really going to talk about going to Developer mode and change android system settings?

Why do such thing? The proposal builds upon the limits set by the current UX. It tries to provide an alternative functionality to help user navigation which is a fundamental part of the way users use their devices.

More running apps need more battery regardless of clever OS multitask management and optimization.

With the visual impact of the running counter been so small(bottom left corner) and without impacting field of view or distracting user from the main purpose of the Recent Items page which is to either switch from app to app or close apps I believe it is of value to have this basic notification accessible to us.

What do you think?

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

This was my 1st comment:

I like the idea of having a couple of rows at the bottom in the preview page that shows app icons of running apps/ recently opened apps.

I don't agree with the idea of running apps counter or the ease of closing them. That is one area which is best left untouched by the user. ANDROID WILL HANDLE IT BEST.

The setting under Developer Options was suggested as a solution to your requirement. Ever thought why they hid that option inside developer options? The answer is they don't want the average user to worry about it.

alessiodales and grouperb like this.
  7. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    If one does not want to have the counters they could disabled it from the menu.

Not everyone feels the same about what does or doesn't appeal to them.

Flexibility is key to this proposal because it allows users to choose the UX most suited to their needs and it does so without disengaging the user and with minimal alterations to the current solution implemented by Oxygen OS.

I understand your point but a trully great OS is one that adapts to its users needs and not the other way around.

Other big companies in this industry have made that mistake and paid for it dearly. Examples are Nokia,Sony, Microsoft, Blackberry, Apple and many many others.

Flexibility is a cornerstone of what Android stands for, and that is what I love about OP, its community is its power. It must never forget that and this PMChallenge is a testament to their moto, NEVER SETTLE.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

killing apps from memory:
    1. will free up memory for more useful functions
    2. will make the device faster
    3. will conserve battery

all of the above are myths and factually incorrect.

you now propose something that encourages the wrong practice of closing down apps manually, when it isn't necessary. this is NOT flexibility.

the development team working for any OEM has a far better understanding of how the OS works and how best to configure it. most users lack this understanding, and unfortunately end up following a lot of misguided prescriptions available on the internet that are both outdated and counter-productive w.r.t to the requirements.

I'm all for flexibility and giving control to the users. but only on matters which is purely a matter of choice, and not those that manipulate how the OS functions. the reason is - people will create a mess and then blame the developers.

9. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Closing apps manually is a bad practice?

Then what is the reason having the CLOSE ALL APPS button in the bottom of the Recent Items page?

The Developers are already giving us means of closing apps manually and closing all apps with a single touch.

I am not one for promoting bad practices but I don't think I can agree with you on your arguments.

If you feel that way about application management by users on Android perhaps you could open a proposal to remove the CLOSE ALL APPS button.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

10. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

11. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    I think that as the users mature around these devices these kind of questions will pop to challenge design/dev teams.

One could argue that having the Recent Items page is not a requirement but reasons exist for it and we could talk about it.

In the future perhaps swiping up and holding would blur the active window and a pop up of the CLOSE ALL APPS button with the menu above it as presented by the proposal becomes the norm.

It is the core functionality of the proposal that matters and I find it to be a step in the right direction(regarding the UX) aside placement.

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

You are right in that the “close all” button should go away. It is not good for the device, except offering convenience under specific circumstances.

There is no such button on iOS. It isn’t there for a reason. But the logic applies equally well to Android.

13. dhiraj Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

dhiraj, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Great Idea would like to see it in action.If possible have a look at my thread and give suggestion.PEACE

14. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    The reason for not having a CLOSE ALL APPS button while forcing users to perform swipe action as implemented in iOS 12 is beyond me.

If you allow users to close apps manually you MUST provide a way for them close all apps simultaneously. This is as simple as 1+1=2 .

I have little respect of the way Apple is regarded as if its pioneering the future of device UXs. Other companies may replicate what Apple is doing for business reasons but that does not mean that Apple is right.

This whole Apple knows best reminds me of the way Microsoft got the stick for forcing users to buy their Kinect with the launch of XBOX ONE. It ended up Microsoft ditching Kinect and restructuring their priorities. Different ecosystem same principle. Users don't like getting forced to act or operate in only one way because we are creative creatures.

I still enjoy from time to time following the standard procedure of swiping up to close an app but for my everyday usage it has become somewhat boring and needless because ussually I just press the close all button when I have so many apps open and I have issues switching between them. Hense the reasoning behind my proposal.

15. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Thread Update:

I have added a section to describe the scrolling behaviour of the menu in Expanded View.

Expanded View Scrolling Behaviour

Running Apps are 8 or less
    No Scrolling available.

Running Apps are 12 or less
    Swiping scrolls a single row of icons(4 apps) at a time.

Running Apps are 13 or more
    Swiping scrolls two row of icons(8 apps) at a time.

The above behaviour is designed to minimise user action while navigating through the open apps.

Let me know what you think.
    If you know of a better way all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 6:16 PM

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

it is not there because it isn't a good thing.

you should close only those apps that are misbehaving. you rarely have a situation where all apps are misbehaving for you to close them all.

some of the restrictions are actually there in the best interests of the user. it isn't as if they cannot implement it.

I already explained to you that many of the apps you see in the Recents screen are actually held in a suspended state, they aren't actually running in background consuming resources. and there is rarely any benefit of closing them.

you don't actually get the benefits that you expect from closing them. that is what you need to understand. it is a myth that you benefit from closing apps randomly like that. and often the result is just the opposite.

and Android anyway offers you an inbuilt way to limit the number of apps that can run at any point of time. those who want it can still use it.

17. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    I get your point about closing apps being a myth.

Microsoft said something similar a few years ago.

Don't turn off you computer. Put it to sleep yet people find the need to turn off their computers.

I am an advocate for having a choice and not being restricted by what companies feel is the way something should be done. The my way or the highway argument is a bit defeated don't you think?

Finally one last question because I do no want to turn the thread a debate on good or bad user practices regarding application management.

How do your arguments justify the absense of a CLOSE ALL APPS button in iOS as good practise considering that manually closing apps one at a time is available to users?

In my book this is trolling...

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

I have already answered both your questions on why there is the option to close apps one at a time and why a restriction like no "close all" option is good.

both are there to enhance user experience. you may want to read that explanation again.

19. laiosg Froyo Feb 10, 2019

laiosg, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Amazing presentation, but for someone like me, who only keeps a few apps open at a time, such a thing wouldn't add much. Of course, I am talking about me, so idk about other users out there.

20. grouperb Froyo Feb 10, 2019

grouperb, Feb 10, 2019 :
    It makes sense if you are not using many apps simultaneouslym

But when designing it I thought of this and the fact that you can acess the three last apps using at least 1 touch less makes it of use.

Consider an example where we have 4 apps running:

In the current version of Oxygen OS one must swipe at least once to reach app preview and then touch to open or swipe up to close it.

By using SOHO FAST one can simply touch the app icon to open or touch/hold to close. effectively skipping the needed swipe to reach app gesture.

For every needed back and forth between first app and third app users need to repeat that action swipe to reach app every time. And how many times a day a person does that per day?

Don't you find that SOHO FAST solves this problem completely?