#PMChallenge - Ultra savings mode

1. T1549406121840
    Cupcake Feb 19, 2019

T1549406121840 , Feb 19, 2019 :
    I posted this thread in here because I'm no able to post on the asked category, Ruby G. recommended posting here because of that.
    Also, I already had this text saved on a word document on my pc for a week but totally forgot to post, just remembered today and when taking a glance at other threads I noticed there is one with a similiar idea to mine. I believe mine is more complete so that's why I'm still posting it, however there was one feature I found interesting in this other thread so I added it here (it is accordingly marked as such).
    Last but not least, this is a feature that would require a lot of work and I'm not sure it would give that much more battery life given how power efficient today's smartphones already are, I guess the usefulness of it depend on those numbers.

PM Challenge
    Ultra-savings mode

Who are the users?

- People who need to be reachable for a long period of time but don’t really need all the functions of a smartphone. Examples: traveling, camping.

- People trying to use less their smartphone but still need basic functions (relevant: )

- Everyone of us that need to be reachable but only have 10% battery and it’s still a few hours till I am able to get my phone on a charger and I really, really, need to be reachable.

What is the proposed function?

Create a new sub-OS. An operating system with only the basic functions (calls, messages, e-mail, perhaps a messaging service like Telegram).The interface is low resolution and mostly black to take advantage of the OLED screen. Also with ''low frame rates with low refresh rate'' (credit to vrakk - https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/pmchallange.1002222/). Might run on a dedicated ultra low power chip (a chip from a feature phone might be enough).

Things to consider:

The transition between normal mode and this power saving one needs to be easy and quick.

Having a messaging app through the internet would be a big plus (examples: Telegram, Whatsapp)

Easy to turn on/off Wi-fi (I'd say with a button on the mainscreen).

Wi-fi, if turned on, is actually off and turns itself on every couple of minutes for a small period of time just to get/send messages if necessary (maybe just let it be a third mode, On/Off/this_one).

What is the user value?

I’m not sure I understood this question. My answer is assuming it’s about how the user will gain from the function.

Well, basically this:

Battery… and battery… and battery… and battery… and battery… Apps trying to get all my attention and me miserably failing? What’s that? Oh! And did I already say battery?

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

As far as I know, there are none that are directly comparable.
    At most there are a couple very different features to solve one of the problems this one does, to combat smartphone ''adiction''.
    I believe however my feature is superior in the reason that, as smooth and quick as the transition between Android and the sub/simplified new OS is, it is still psychologically a higher barrier than having a message appear saying the user has already spent the minutes he/she gave himself/herself.

As far as extending the time between chargings, I don't know about anything even close.

And now, with all due respect, bow to my amazing drawings:

[​IMG]

(I really feel like that last explaining was necessary)

ArcadiyKulchinskiy likes this.