#PMChallenge [UPDATE #2.5 with INTERACTIVE DEMO] App Revert: Revert apps to a previous version

1. RamQ Froyo Feb 6, 2019

RamQ, Feb 6, 2019 :
    If you try to install an older version of an app that's already installed, you'll get an error and it won't get installed, you have to completely uninstall the app first, maybe oneplus can override this somehow ? don't know but it's a great idea that needs a lot of thinking and optimizing to become ready for public use

darkwingz, BeingIncog and laiosg like this.
  2. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    I meant it in a similar way to that!! Dude you're amazing wow

BeingIncog and Dresa91 like this.
  3. Dresa91 Android Q Feb 6, 2019

Dresa91, Feb 6, 2019 :
    oh thanks :)

BeingIncog and laiosg like this.
  4. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Thank you for your honest reply!
    It really means a lot!

Yes, I suppose manufacturers have more control over app installs, so I guess it could be somehow overriden.
    I'll have to fix some issues here and there with this post and I'll update it. thank you so much once again

BeingIncog likes this.
  5. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Lo these many days, I thought it would never happen that I would see an actual, meaningful, useful suggestion.

It would of course be killed by any server-side requirements (eg game X must be version x.y.z or higher), but that's just a subset of use cases and you already put more thought into this than every other suggestion I've seen combined.

YRJ, mahyunk, BeingIncog and 4 others like this.
  6. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Yeah I haven't really thought this through hehe *cries in indecipherable Samsung language*
    But that's why you guys are here. You've all posted very helpful comments and I'll try to tackle the issues you raised one by one. I'll update the post then and hopefully it will be better. by the way thank you personally, you're the one who started this discussion in the first place so ...

BeingIncog and GopalB. like this.
  7. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 6, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 6, 2019 :
    What a good idea and so well presented!

But as many has pointed out, android Q is working on this very feature so oneplus might very well decide to not include the feature but wait for android Q.

Still. Well done.

BeingIncog, Dresa91 and laiosg like this.
  8. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! You can't believe how happy your comment made me! I've been on this forum since yesterday and I haven't even seen a single mean comment so far. How does One plus manage to have such a great community?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BeingIncog likes this.
  9. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    thank you!!!! Well if Android Q is going to include this then that's even better for One plus to do it then, agreed!

BeingIncog likes this.
  10. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Stick around, I usually make 20 mean comments before breakfast.

YRJ, BeingIncog, GopalB. and 3 others like this.
  11. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Well you just made a funny one tho haha

BeingIncog likes this.
  12. B_Wrath Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 6, 2019 :
    I have a 256GB which is 90% full and I have maybe 6-7 games:p
    Anyways, maybe, for app revert, we may need a separate partition which can hold the temp files while downgrading. Just like A/B partitioning, but for downgrading.

And ya, like others have pointed out (which I completely forgot), Android Q is going to have this functionality. So let's see what happens.

And like @toastytoast1234 said, a meaningful thread after a very long time:) cheers!

13. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    thank you!!!!!
    Well, I'm glad you like it. The partition idea is AMAZING. This way, users will not be able to accidentally interfere with the App Revert storage space and the phone will already have made sure to keep space free for app reverting purposes!!!! Awesome!

BeingIncog and B_Wrath like this.
  14. GopalB. Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB., Feb 6, 2019 :
    That's usually what Samsung does...
    OnePlus is not well known for giving features before android... :p

It all depends on the person you are talking to and the content they are creating... ;)

15. Chuck_James Honeycomb Feb 6, 2019

BeingIncog and laiosg like this.
  16. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Thank you so much!!

BeingIncog likes this.
  17. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    So, I updated this post and will keep working on it, this won't be the end of it :p (hopefully)
    Do check it out if you feel like it!

18. Dresa91 Android Q Feb 6, 2019

Dresa91, Feb 6, 2019 :
    wow, awesome:)
    you are such a great person:)
    Like it:)

B_Wrath, BeingIncog and laiosg like this.
  19. Android450 Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

Android450, Feb 6, 2019 :
    This thread brings me joy soley due to the fact that it was well presented and encouraged thoughtful discussion. Which I feel is lost all too quickly around here

About the idea, I do like it indeed I do. As mentioned by others I think there will have to be limits on exactly what kind of apps can be backed up and if the newer app data is capable of being backed up without causing issues with the old apk (I believe this is seen with titanium backup quite frequently)

mahyunk, B_Wrath, BeingIncog and 2 others like this.
  20. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

laiosg, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Welcome to the thread! Thank you very much for your kind words and for your suggestion as well! Hold on, lemme add you to the post contributors :p

BeingIncog and Android450 like this.