#PMChallenge Using Data Warning

1. A1550189984840 Cupcake Feb 15, 2019

A1550189984840, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Who are the users?

People who have restricted data plans or those whose carrier doesn’t provide them with an unlimited data plan and tend to use a lot of streaming apps (like Netflix, Youtube or Spotify) and also whom tend to turn Wi-Fi on and off either because they work or live in a poor Wi-Fi signal zone or those who disable it to save some battery life, and as a result forget to turn the Wi-Fi back on thus wasting many Megabytes (or Gigabytes) of internet data.

What is the proposed function?

The function I’m proposing is to remind the user that he's using data instead of Wi-Fi with an alert. This alert could be shown only while using heavy data consumption apps (like Netflix, Youtube or music streaming), so it won’t be very intrusive and the user can always toggle between having the alert or not at all.

What is the user value?

The goal for this is to prevent the user from wasting precious and expensive data while using intensive-data usage apps, when he or she could perfectly have used Wi-Fi in order to perform such tasks therefore saving both battery life and a lot of internet data.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

As far as I know in a recent Samsung device there is an alert that warns you that Wi-Fi is going to be turned off while using Wi-Fi hotspot, but it never reminds the user to turn it back on again, that’s where I have been so frustrated because sometimes I just wanted to share my data with my friends for a couple of minutes, only to find out many hours later that I’ve been using data the whole time.

On the other hand, this new feature actually reminds you to turn the Wi-Fi back on so you won’t spend data without you even noticing it. This function might be very similar to ‘Set data limit’ with the difference being that with the data limit, the user cannot be reminded that he or she is actually using data, so for example, for whatever reason the user turns Wi-Fi off and forget about it, then several hours later the user opens a Netflix movie and begins to watch it, and depending on the setting, there would be an alert (I think it’s called a toast) that shows that the user is using his cellular data.

I have uploaded a document with all the sketches and diagrams

Sorry if I have made some mistakes as English is not my native language. Cheers!

Attached Files: