#PMChallenge - Zen Mode

1. fecfecfec Donut Feb 21, 2019

fecfecfec, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Zen Mode

Who are the users?

People with anxiety, cell phone addiction or procrastinators.

What is the proposed function?
    A Zen Mode to cut down on the endless scrolling, slow down and concentrate. Zen Mode turns the phone stimuli all the way down. The screen turns pitch black, a gentle bell sounds and only a couple of apps name are visible. No clock. No notifications.

We can select what apps remain available in our zen time:
    • Reading Apps
    • Meditation
    • Music
    • Docs, to finish that feature idea that you're working
    The activation can be done manually or activated automatically according to user specifications:
    • Too many phone unlocks.
    • Too much screen time.
    • Too much time on a particular app.
    • Too many notifications.
    • Schedule to a particular time of the day.
    The user can also set-up a message or goal for that zen time so we can have a gentle reminder of what to concentrate our time in.
    The deactivation can also be timed or done manually. When we deactivate manually, a small breathing exercise shows up on screen for a minute.

What is the user value?
    We’ve become fully attached to our phones. They take our full attention and suck all our time. Sometimes we don’t even realize how much time we’ve lost with our phone.
    Maybe sometimes we need a bit of a push to just chill and concentrate. With Zen Mode, users will be able to really wind down and don't get lost in another notification.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Cell Phone addiction is pretty common nowadays, both Google and Apple had created “solutions” to see how much time you spend on your apps and set timers to prevent long exposure.
    But sometimes that’s not enough. Bypassing restrictions is easy and the dashboard it’s just a scoreboard, it’s a computer judging you from using it too much.
    Zen Mode drastically reduces distractions and encourage the user to take specific action with that time. And sometimes user needs that zen time in the middle of a busy day.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 3:26 PM

David Y. and The1Lion like this.
  2. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Great Write-up and presentation.

But, this is basically my phone tell me to buzz off! We humans need to control ourselves. People with a cell phone addiction cannot be forced to stop using a phone, chances are he may get annoyed and end up breaking his phone. Just my opinion.

Good luck :)

3. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 21, 2019 :
    But it also will be easy to bypass; we need it to lock Carl from Twitter! (Be great it Trump used a OnePlus) :p

4. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 21, 2019 :
    It's done in a way a user sets it up, so more of a tool to allow the user to help themselves overcome their addiction.

5. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    You cant expect a drug addict to quit, just because the contents are packed.
    He will find a way!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

Baymax and toastytoast1234 like this.
  6. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 21, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Well that would make me switch to a Samsung, that's for sure!

The1Lion likes this.
  7. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Feb 21, 2019

Hydra Bob, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Don't worry he's a devout iPhone user. Take that how you will.;)

The1Lion likes this.
  8. Baymax Starting Point Expert Feb 21, 2019

Baymax, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Actually he is devout Samsung. Still uses a Samsung Galaxy S3. The only reason he has an iPhone is because secret service made him use one.

The1Lion likes this.
  9. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 21, 2019

Ruby G., mahyunk, The1Lion and 2 others like this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 21, 2019 :
    All these work only with people with self-discipline, and ironically they are the ones who actually don't need these.

The point is, Google's Digital Wellbeing, Apple's Screen Time, and Zen mode are just another tool to play with for the rest, and won't serve the purpose.

11. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 21, 2019 :
    As mentioned elsewhere, that's the same reason I can't have Pringles or digestive biscuits in the house @Sharinnn .

Sharinnn, Baymax, The1Lion and 2 others like this.
  12. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Feb 21, 2019

Huh didn't know that. No accounting for taste. He's got three iPhones now though. Only two of which are secret service approved.

The1Lion, Baymax and YRJ like this.
  13. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    As mentioned here:
    XD

toastytoast1234 and The1Lion like this.
  14. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Feb 21, 2019

Idk why but the first thing that came to mind was some sort of laxative laced cookie when you said that. I guess maybe it was your age.:p

There's another UK thing I'm ignorant of that you can make fun of me for @Sharinnn .;)

15. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Most drug addicts are addicted to a "physical" dependency on the drug of choice - just like people can get addicted to pain killers. A phone doesn't have a physical need and if you want to break the dependency, you remove the apps (even if temporary).

The first step is admitting you have an addiction ;):D

YRJ likes this.
  16. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 21, 2019 :
    He'd have to stop the trade war, and he'd be roasted for having a "Chinese" phone while selling his MAGA hats (made in China) :p

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  17. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 21, 2019 :
    WE need that Zen Mode NOW!!!! OnePlus needs to OTA this ASAP! Because WE want it! WE we we all the way home! :p

Cheetosdust likes this.
  18. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

You've clearly never seen pensioners in Vegas stuffing coins in slot machines for hours at a time (I know they don't take coins any more).

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...got-us-hooked-on-tech-facebook-apps-addiction

The1Lion likes this.
  19. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

Or putting up a wall to block all those illegal immigrants working in his properties.

The1Lion likes this.
  20. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

Never needed them, you could set your watch by my bowel movements.

Hydra Bob and Sharinnn like this.