#PMChallenge

1. SantoshKenjalkar
    Donut Feb 17, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar , Feb 17, 2019 :
    Halfspace- Files in mobile to get compressed, and saved at reduced at half of it's original size. The same technology that works in computers storing compressed files on the hard disk(the operating system attempts to save a file to disk, the utility intercepts it and compresses it-DriveSpace).Compressed file might actually be faster to read by mobile OS.So 128gb space can be utilised as 256gb, also a cost effective.
    Who are the users?
    It will be useful for whole Oneplus family,who don't want more space?
    What is the proposed function?
    To use double space of the actual storage capacity.
    What is the user value?
    It might be also cost cutting feature.You can then have 256gb of storage with in 128gb .
    Also I think this type of feature is not used Halfspace.jpg yet in mobile industry

2. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 17, 2019

meatandy and G_plusone like this.
  3. SantoshKenjalkar
    Donut Feb 17, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar , Feb 17, 2019 :
    All files including system files,apps, images & videos whatever in mobile. As from now cameras pixel will increase so the size of images and videos, 128gb or 256gb will also looks insufficient. But if we can compress those all materials in mobile by half. We can use storage double just by programming compressor method. And I'm not from programming field, but I got this technique from internet, which are using for computers

Bouncer71 likes this.
  4. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2019

LegolasX , Feb 17, 2019 :
    other files are okay but you should know that compressing system files are never suggested.
    check for example if you need to access the compressed file we first need to uncompress it and then access the files and then again re-compress it, and if you ever ran a highly compressed files in Windows it uses a lot of cpu power to unzip it.
    this will drastically slow down the system.
    so apart from system files, other files can be compressed upto some level where its original quality is not affected.

5. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 17, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 17, 2019 :
    I mean, compression isn't that simple.... Also, if pictures and videos are taking up too much space, back them up off of your phone

6. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 17, 2019

Bouncer71 , Feb 17, 2019 :
    I don't think that's a good idea. .

I never use that on a computer cause it will mean a slowdown...
    The files are put in a container and need to be uncompressed for every use.. As @LegolasX already mentioned...

Videos and photos are already compressed but they could add an option to select level of compression for those who don't mind more loss of information (quality)...

I'd rather have larger storage or backup my stuff on PC an cloud.. ;D

7. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Feb 17, 2019

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 18, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 18, 2019 :
    I don’t think it will be long before HEFF (High Efficiency File Format) is adopted at the Android level, which means further compression would be both unnecessary, and more importantly ineffective. But the idea is good.

9. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 18, 2019

dsmonteiro , Feb 18, 2019 :
    Compressed files are never faster to read. They need to be uncompressed before they can be read. This costs time, processing power and battery life. Also, you'd also waste battery life and processing power while compressing the files.

So, everytime you wanted to access any file, it would take significantly more time than it currently does while also make the device run warmer and have less battery.

How is this beneficial for the user?

10. SantoshKenjalkar
    Donut Feb 18, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar , Feb 18, 2019 :
    I know it is difficult, but we can take one step ahead to start this technology. Not 50% but at least 20% can be possible.As for now, while taking a picture with nightscape mode we have hold the camera steady for some seconds. From now onwards the time will decrease and the quality will increase. The rule will be apply to my suggestion

11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 18, 2019

dsmonteiro , Feb 18, 2019 :
    It doesn't matter how much you compress it. The questions I posed above still apply. Compressing and uncompressing files takes time and wastes processing power and battery life. Your phone is constantly accessing system files, apps, etc. If it had to uncompress files every time it wanted to use them it would be a horrible user experience.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  12. Aashika_
    Eclair Feb 18, 2019

Aashika_ , Feb 18, 2019 :
    Suppose your device memory at one point of time get full how would you uncompress important files?

Bouncer71 and Papleshh like this.
  13. SantoshKenjalkar
    Donut Feb 19, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar , Feb 19, 2019 :
    If storage is itself compresses files while saving, you can access through mobile. And not to compress files like third party apps where you have to extract it.

14. Aashika_
    Eclair Feb 24, 2019

Aashika_ , Feb 24, 2019 :
    But we can't access compressed files as it is.
    They need to be uncompressed and if all the storage is filled there would practically be no space to uncompress the compressed files. This has nothing to do with feature being 3rd party or not. Hope you find a solution

15. SantoshKenjalkar
    Donut Feb 25, 2019

SantoshKenjalkar , Feb 25, 2019 :
    My concept is to make whole files compressed while on storage. And not to be compressed with any other third party software like WinZip or WinRAR. So you can access files without any uncompress method.