Pocket mode in Oneplus7pro via OnePlus 7 Pro

1. joginder.sooraj
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2020

joginder.sooraj , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 27, 2020 :
    Hi I am using OP7Pro since last 3 months. Everything is fine but I was surprised to see that there is no Pocket mode.
    During walking or cycling, the screen opens up by itself in spite of having finger sensor.

Kindly help out.

O1578849647316 likes this.
  2. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jan 27, 2020

3. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 28, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 28, 2020 :
    The OnePlus 7 Pro doesn't have a physical proximity sensor. This sensor is used for the pocket mode. Because the sensor is missing, this feature was removed.

The 'proximity sensor' in the OnePlus 7 Pro is based on AI and other sensor like the gyroscope.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  4. jasemanONE
    Honeycomb Jan 28, 2020

jasemanONE , Jan 28, 2020 :
    I'm not sure you're correct in saying that "The OnePlus 7 Pro doesn't have a physical proximity sensor." I could be wrong here but I believe there is one located under the glass...that is under the screen much like the fingerprint sensor is under the glass. You can test it yourself by getting in a bright area and after the screen turns up the brightness (seeing that you have auto brightness turned on) place your hand or something solid over the top 25% of the screen and you will see the brightness automatically go down. On top of that the screen turns off when you lift the phone to your face to talk. Therefore, some type of proximity sensor is working. Now I agree that the auto brightness does not work as good as we all hoped it would, but I believe that is a result of the fact that the proximity sensor is under the glass. Just one more reason I think this whole trend towards removing all bezels is stupid.

Liehjan likes this.
  5. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 28, 2020

tide1109 , Jan 28, 2020 :
    The sensor you see is the ambient light sensor. As you already explorered, it's used for the auto brightness.
    The detection of the lift up while talking is for example detected by the gyroscope.

Here is an article about the used virtual 'sensor': https://www.ellipticlabs.com/2019/0...eaner-design-to-oneplus-7-series-smartphones/

Bouncer71 likes this.
  6. jasemanONE
    Honeycomb Jan 28, 2020

jasemanONE , Jan 28, 2020 :
    Certainly an interesting article, and I thank you for pointing me to it. However, the explanation on "how" they actually sense what is in proximity to the screen, in order to turn it off, is not really explained. I guess it is proprietary technology that they are trying to keep secret for patent reasons.

Here is a quote from the article trying to explain how they accomplish the proximity feat: "Using ultrasound, sensor fusion, and machine learning"

Not sure what "sensor fusion" actually is...but at this point I do not think the technology is truly ready for prime time. Hopefully all this "fusion" and machine learning tech improves sooner rather than later because the fact remains that the "old" tech utilizing actual physical sensors worked much better! New technology does not always equate to better technology.

7. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 29, 2020

pgrey , Jan 29, 2020 :
    https://machine-learning.cioadvisor...ven-virtual-smart-sensors-cid-501-mid-44.html

This article talks about the implementation in another phone, using the speakers and ultrasound, to test proximity.

I agree though, the "pocket mode" on the OP7 Pro isn't very functional, IME.
    Mine almost always "times out", when I'm out riding (cycling), from the "touches" it counts, through my jersey pocket (and registers as failed-unlock-attempts), even inside a ziploc (or perhaps the ziploc contributes).
    Nether my OP5T or 6 had this problem, ever, or previous phones, it's unique (for me and quite a range of phones over the years) to the OP7.
    I don't dislike a reasonable bezel, where they can place "real" sensors, and cameras and such, so that's my leaning; I really hope the industry swings back to some small amount of bezel for this stuff...

8. jasemanONE
    Honeycomb Jan 29, 2020

jasemanONE , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Well, for now Sony still makes great up-to-date phones with physical sensors and bezels. I have been looking at their offerings, but for now my 7 Pro functions very well for the way I use it, and Sony still charges too much in my opinion. Otherwise I like their phones. At least they don't look like every other cookie-cutter phone out there. It's rather easy to identify a Sony phone and I like the way they look. I owned an Xperia XZ Premium a few years ago and I really liked it.

9. escudero.ares
    Donut Jan 30, 2020

escudero.ares , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 30, 2020 :
    I think the brightness issue is a software issue (Oxygen OS issue for this phone). Try using YAAB App as a replacement for auto brightness and it does the job well in reading ambient light and adjusting the brightness as necessary.