[POLL] Camera quality: temporary verdict

?

What do you think should be improved with the camera?

1. Dynamic range

18.8%
  2. Color accuracy (oversaturation belongs here)

45.3%
  3. Noise

27.1%
  4. Contrast

12.5%
  5. Sharpness

19.3%
  6. Texture detail

17.2%
  7. Low light performance

40.1%
  8. Exposure

15.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ozi2007
    Froyo Apr 21, 2014

ozi2007 , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Hey guys,

In the last couple of days we've been flooded with camera samples from the OnePlus One thanks to @Martinrm and @ZeGaby. Great job guys, keep it going! I'm proud to see so much dedication in the community.Almost all those pictures were taken from their threads. Check them out so you can see the pictures.http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/p...a-photos-in-their-full-resolution-glory.1508/

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/comparison-oneplus-one-camera-against-find-5-and-a-dslr.2105/Which brings me to this thread. I wanted to post some of the best pictures I've seen so far from this device. But also a couple not so good ones. I'll post a quick review from my point of view and you guys can add your opinions.All in all the camera seems to be good. Some shots are gorgeous. I like most things about this camera. Here's a list of a couple of things I have observed :

-The sharpness is well preserved. For a 13 megapixel camera the shots are on par with other high end flagships. It even outperforms the Galaxy S5 if you ask me. The GS5 pictures are so oversharpened that they lose detail. Try posting them on Instagram and you'll see pixels. Yes, you'll see tiny pixels on Instagram on photos coming from a 16 megapixel camera. That's when you know that you've oversharpened your photos by messing up the software algorithms. Great job Sammy :pFortunately the OPO is not suffering from that phenomenon.

-Dynamic range. At the beginning I was suspicious about it because of the shots from the Chinese forum. I thought: Oh God, hasn't anyone learned anything from the HTC M8? The 4 megapixels were bad. But it's dynamic range. Terrible. A catastrophe painted in Ultrapixels.With the first of the OPO shots it seemed like the sky was always way too bright and it looked like one of the weaker points of the camera. But I guess that was only the case in the beginning. Now you won't find any white skies popping out of the image. Only in some macro shots where the sky is in the background. But I think OPO will fix that soon ;)

-Colors. One thing people haven been arguing about in the forum. I personally do like slightly oversaturated colors à la iPhone 5S. And on most photos it looks perfect to me. But boy some of those shots are on the extreme side. Just look at the picture of that purple flower. Looks like someone has been running over it with Photoshop for the last 24 hours and the only thing that person did was boosting the saturation levels constantly. Just kidding. It's not that bad. But it is too much. Even for my taste. Maybe I'm wrong.

-Exposure. Funny topic. There's not even a handful of smartphones that get this right. The OnePlus guys are doing it right. I haven't come across many overexposed areas yet so that's good for sure :)
    But there's one complaint. The whites. Yup if you ask me, white areas tend to be too white. I don't want to call it overexposed. But if you check out the white shirt of that girl in the picture you won't be able to see any details. Whites seem to be glowing compared to other pictures. But this problem is solved easily since it's software related.

-Noise. You won't be able to detect much noise on the taken pictures. Why? Because you'll come across tons of macro shots. But if you check the landscape pictures and look into the distance there are grainy areas. The further away the the object, the more grain. That's my observation. It would be nice if OnePlus could keep the noise level constant and I'm confident that they'll manage this task.

-HDR? I don't know how to call this but by looking at the picture of the cathedral it looks like it's been edited with the HDR effect on Snapseed. Just to clear this. I personally think that HDR should be a mode that evens out the image when for example the sun is making it impossible to take a picture without leaving on area completely dark or the other area completely overexposed. I hate it when manufacturers turn HDR mode into a fancy Instagram filter. Just look at Apple: they're the only one doing it perfectly right. I can still edit the pictures if I want to.
    Most of us want to take some professional looking pictures that also look natural. That cartoonish HDR effect is not helping. I really hope this will be fixed until release.

-Contrast. Most of the time contrast is captured well. But contrast tends to be on the harsh side. I did some editing and found out that if you lower the contrast levels a bit not only will the picture look more natural, but it will even look more detailed. One example of that is the purple flower image. Again this is very easy to fix since it's all in the software.

-Shadows. This probably also falls into the contrast topic. Since the contrast is high, areas that are in the shadow have almost no detail. Lighting up the shadows a tiny bit would make a huge difference.

-Low light. S. Wait for it. Ick! Sick! I've never seen low light pictures like this coming from a smartphone. No noise, pure quality. It even outperforms the Nikon it was compared against if you ask me. All the low light pictures look promising and that brings a smile on my face :D

For the ones who made it to the bottom: Congrats. I really hope that the OnePlus team can improve their photo quality with this constructive feedback. I'm being a bit demanding and I also exaggerate a bit. But I hope that this will help OPO to make it the best camera available.
    Right now I'd rate the camera a 7/10. But with a little tweaking here and there this one could reach a 9 or even a 10. This is an awesome camera by any means. And all it needs to become a smartphone camera we'll still talk about in 2015 are some software adjustments. In OnePlus One we trust.

Oh and by the way: There's way too many macro shots being posted :p I'm saying that because it's hard to determine whether the quality of the camera is good or bad. Don't get me wrong. But even my Galaxy S2 takes excellent macro shots. I'd much rather see landscape shots or pics of cities where you can find several objects in different distances.Hope to see many more pictures off the OPO's camera.

[​IMG]

Dat white shirt is glowing! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the threes you can see the result of too much contrast. Would be great if we saw some details even in the not so well lit areas.

[​IMG]

Maybe it's edited. I actually hope it's edited :)

[​IMG]

This, ladies and gentlemen, is coming from a smartphone. Insane.

[​IMG]

Very nice. Colors and dynamic range are impressive. Only if you look to the brown fields you'll see a little noise.

[​IMG]

Superb. Turn down the contrast a little and it'll become magnificent.

[​IMG]

It looks edited actually. The colors pop and contrast is a bit too high. Check out those black areas. No detail in there. A pity :oops:

[​IMG]

Beautiful picture. It outperforms the Nikon in my opinion.

2. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Apr 21, 2014 :
    An actualy useful thread! Thank you. I agree with you in some places, but I'm not as good at criticizing as you.:p
    (Either way, the pics look great, AND, there's always room for improvement!:D)

Mina Bolis, G.Mc.Os and angeliou like this.
  3. Tazz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2014

Tazz , Apr 21, 2014 :
    I'd like to choose "Color Accuracy"
    Not many phones, even the M8 with both it's cameras can match it's colors well. Sure we can get good color accuracy from a 400$+ DSLR, but a phone to have it would be epic.

4. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2014

5. angeliou
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

angeliou , Apr 21, 2014 :
    I actually believe that pictures looked better than real life :p

chrishoina likes this.
  6. Tazz

Tazz , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Some of the pictures taken with the One+ looked pretty great!
    I wonder what this phone has in store. I guess we'll find out tomorrow! :)

angeliou likes this.
  7. akh.chan
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2014

8. muddy46
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2014

muddy46 , Apr 21, 2014 :
    These pics are beautiful. Makes me feel like I am actually there. I can almost feel the wind breezing by as I look at these.

Since this camera is stated to be good for low light I would love to see some low light indoor and night time outdoor shots.

9. agnirudra
    Donut Apr 21, 2014

agnirudra , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Honestly, in my opinion, the pictures are amazing . I dont give a damn how much its looking over saturated or "little noise in the brown areas" . its a phone for God's sake . if you expect a phone to act like an DSLR, then use a DSLR . for a normal human being for daily needs,it exceeds expectations and i am really impressed with the performance. I am not going to use a phone for professional photography purpose, and so am very pleased with the quality of the images.
    In this budget, with this performance,critics should lay off their criticism. Period.
    Cheers.

kraasz likes this.
  10. T00Sp00kyFoU

T00Sp00kyFoU , Apr 21, 2014 :
    I honestly can't pick anything. Its the best shots I've seen from a phone period. Granted I haven't checked out the S5s shots or any Xperia Z2 shots but I'd find it very hard to believe if they had anything better than what the OnePlus One. The HDR mode just needs a bit working on but it seems all phones run into this problem from my experience. Like you said, that cathedral and its haloing. Bleck.

11. ozi2007
    Froyo Apr 21, 2014

ozi2007 , Apr 21, 2014 :
    So obviously many seem to dislike that part about saturation. But let's not forget that there's only the flower picture which is totally oversaturated. I found that only on some other macro shots, too. The rest seems to be very nice.

If you look at the 2 landscape pictures saturation is perfect

12. OneOver Zero

OneOver Zero , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Yeah. The quality is insane. Especially the low light shots done by Martinrm are unbelievable. I'm almost sold on that phone. Just waiting for confirmation that it has a sd card slot.

And the shutter time seems to be insanely fast. The one where Martin is riding the bike? Couldn't believe at first that it should be an HDR pic...

13. Martinrm
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

Martinrm , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, i really enjoyed the read! By the way the photo of the purple flowered was with HDR mode turned on, so maybe that upped the contrast a bit? I too have notice a bit of oversaturation on a lot of the photos. The HDR on the cathedral looks like snapseed to be honest, that filter sucks. . . sorry. On every HDR picture i have taken i have NOT had an obtrusive outcome like that. In a lot of ways i think this camera has it right. You can even get some sweet lens flare photos (in a good way) like you only can with a true DSLR!

Just as a side note, none of my pictures have been edited. One of the fundamental things we have to do with the prototype is to NOT edit any of the pictures! That defeats the purpose doesn’t it haha.

I'm going to try and get more low light and night shots for you all since you seem to enjoy them haha :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

Deepak and Elisha Siegelman like this.
  14. Martinrm
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

15. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2014

16. ozi2007
    Froyo Apr 22, 2014

ozi2007 , Apr 22, 2014 :
    EDIT: I want to clarify that this is based on my opinion. This thread was made to help OnePlus. And that also consists criticism. Some people say they don't care about the quality since it's good enough. But what did OPO teach us? Never settle! Good enough is great. But we want the best. We have the hardware.

So I'll try helping as much as I can to get the last drop out of its hardware. The Sony Exmor sensor does have its limitations but we haven't reached them yet.

Many people say don't compare smartphones to DSLRs. And they are right. You have so much more control over the camera and you can even change its lens. But is it worth it?
    I know a lot of people walking around with a 1000+ dollar DSLR and taking horrible pictures. No joke.

If you're not willing to take your time and adjust everything manually, maybe even buy some different lenses you will find little difference between a camera and a low to mid range DSLR. If you don't know how to take pictures and you buy a DSLR there's only two advantages.

1) The mere megapixel count. So your pics will be bigger. Theoretically. Provided your DSLR exceeds the 13 megapixel mark.

2) Low light action. You can't beat physics. DSLRs have bigger sensors and we can't deny it.

I am not saying that it doesn't make a difference. There's worlds between a smartphone and a DSLR. Especially since camera is a thing often screwed up by manufacturers. Only Nokia and Apple have been consistent in the camera department.

What I am trying to say is this: For the average Joe a smartphone would possibly suit better than a DSLR. Now again, it depends on the DSLR and the phone. If you managed to take the best out of the phone then definitely yes. But theoretically smartphones have advantages that overweigh those of a DSLR listed above. Let's take the OPO for example.

1) It's always with you (I know this is getting old. Haha ;))

2) 13 megapixels are enough.

3) You don't need to mess around with ISO, exposure, aperture, shutter speed, (insert more manual controls here) since it's automatically set. And I guess that OnePlus has a better auto mode than many DSLRs.

4) You have HDR mode. Strong point. Check your aunt Annie's folder with the pictures she took with uncle Eddie on her vacation in Florida. Oh, did I tell you guys that she bought an Olympus DSLR just for that trip? Yes, she did. ;)
    But unfortunately all her pictures have a blown out sky because she doesn't know how to handle an expensive camera. Often DSLR are not very user friendly to the bloody beginner.
    But you'll smile and tell your aunt Annie how gorgeous the pics are and that it was totally worth it buying the Olympus.

5) Apps and connection. No matter if you want to retouch that picture or share it. You got it right on your fingertips. And you'll find yourself looking at the vacation pictures more often than if you would have stored them in your folder in a folder on the desktop of your laptop.

So now you have it. If you want to help OnePlus in terms of camera quality feel free to contribute. If not, please move on.

This is for those who don't want to settle. And for the photo enthusiasts. :D

kraasz, susuwatari, Deepak and 3 others like this.
  17. chrishoina
    Froyo Apr 22, 2014

chrishoina , Apr 22, 2014 :
    And not that far behind the DSLR too. In some photos I think they looked even better.

angeliou likes this.
  18. angeliou
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2014

angeliou , Apr 22, 2014 :
    Most of them for me :)

chrishoina likes this.
  19. nunomrmartins
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2014

nunomrmartins , Apr 22, 2014 :
    I also think that the colours are a little bit oversaturated in certain pictures, but since we are talking about a smartphone camera and most of the corrections can be made by software, we can't ask for much more.
    How about some indoor pictures with faces, in somre mundane /real life situations?

20. JorgeDiesel
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2014

JorgeDiesel , Apr 22, 2014 :
    What got me crazy was the HDR while riding the bike by @Martinrm. Dat shutter speed tho.
    Seriously, the concrete isn't blurred out as much.
    Either martin was going veeeeeeery slowly either the shutter speed is blazing fast

leizhang123 and Martinrm like this.