Poor Bluetooth Audio Quality on OP5T

1. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 5, 2017

matthewnlee , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Got my OP5T over the weekend and I noticed that the bluetooth audio through my OP5T is giving me below average-to-awful sound quality for both music tracks and spoken word podcasts. I've tried this on both my UE Boom 2 and in my car (a 2016 Subaru) and the result is noticeably worse than on my just-replaced OnePlus One and an iPhone 7+. I would describe it as "crispy" or "crunchy, not in a good way haha. Sort of static-y, almost through a bad filter. The audio source for both is the same: Google Play Music, downloaded and cached in "high quality", and Pocket Casts.

I have been able to replicate it with one other OnePlus 5T I've tested with across each of the three codec options...is there something else I could try to rectify this?

Very unscientific comparison between the OPO and the OP5T in this video: .

I know the difference is nullified a bit by being recorded on an iPhone - sorry for the portrait video haha. I think you can hear a bit of that crunchiness in the highs and and dulling of the low end here...It is much more pronounced of a difference in person and about half a dozen people I've demo'd this to agree.

Running the stable version of Nougat that came with the phone out of the box...

SPadron and johnpauljj like this.
  2. lostLambda
    Lollipop Dec 5, 2017

lostLambda , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Have you selected the correct codec?

Screenshot_20171204-212553.png

3. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 5, 2017

matthewnlee , Dec 5, 2017 :
    I only have these three options. I've tried switching to each with no discernable difference between them (I kind of assumed that the car audio doesn't accept better than SBC given that it's not specialty equipment). I have also unpaired the phone from the car each time, in case the codecs need that to switch.
    1512451836897.jpg

lostLambda likes this.
  4. Martin70
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2017

Martin70 , Dec 5, 2017 :
    I am also getting very choppy sound quality on my Sony Bluetooth headphones but only when using them with my 5T

matthewnlee and lostLambda like this.
  5. johnpauljj
    Cupcake Dec 10, 2017

johnpauljj , Dec 10, 2017 :
    I'm having the same problem on my 2016 Subaru WRX, sounds really distorted when playing music and podcast. Tried rebooting the phone, changing codecs, repairing, etc.

Works fine on my bluetooth headphones though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017

matthewnlee likes this.
  6. vinaysharma76
    Eclair Dec 10, 2017

vinaysharma76 , Dec 10, 2017 :
    I also face same issues on my car blaupunkt music player. audio is chopping and many times playback speed is either slow or high.

7. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2017

sweetberrywine , Dec 10, 2017 :
    I'm also getting the cracking and popping music and audiobook when paired with my '06 Prius stereo.

I've been thinking (after trying just about everything else): could it be an issue caused by newer-to-older Bluetooth version pairing? Seems too simple though. I'm looking forward to getting viper4android up and running to see if the drivers will fix it.

8. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2017

9. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 10, 2017

10. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2017

sweetberrywine , Dec 10, 2017 :
    What I'm trying to figure out is:
    is this a hardware or software problem? Because if it's a software problem, it can be fixed. But if it's a bad hardware situation then what's the point of keeping the phone? I use it all the time for music streaming to Bluetooth so it's a deal breaker for me.

For what it's worth, the problems I'm having are with this device:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1012761/Mpow-Streambot-3032.html

Which is not the most high end peripheral, but still.
    It has Bluetooth 4.0.

I'm hoping it's something specific to the codecs dealing with Bluetooth 4.0, or something like that -- software-related.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017

matthewnlee likes this.
  11. johnpauljj
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2017

johnpauljj , Dec 11, 2017 :
    I believe it's a software issue. I can stream bluetooth music just fine to my Mpow Buckler, Taotronics headphones, and Vizio soundbar. The only issue is with my car stereo.

12. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

sweetberrywine , Dec 12, 2017 :
    YASS!!! I want to say it's fixed!

I did the 4.7.4 OTA yesterday and so far so good! Sounds like a million bucks. Okay maybe a hundred thousand but I think it's good to go.

Back to loving this phone again, woohoo!

I will definitely come back with an update on this soon because I noticed it sort of fixing itself before and then getting corrupted again after a while.

13. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 12, 2017

matthewnlee , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I've been on 4.7.4 for half a week now and the audio quality has not improved as of this morning. Did you have to adjust any settings or re-pair for this improvement to come into effect? I would be surprised if they provided a fix and neglected to include it in the change log, so I'm hopeful there's a fix you can share on top of the update!

14. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

sweetberrywine , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I'm actually not 100% sure it's fixed. Heard some crackle in a song so my ears are all perked up now...waiting... listening... judging...

Starting to think it's either something to do with some sort of cache (because it seems to build up), or interaction with another app that temporarily takes over the audio (I'm looking at you, Maps!).

I guess since OP haven't exactly mentioned it it's either A) a small embarrassing problem they will quietly fix or B) a bigger more complicated problem that they are secretly freaking out about.

In the meantime I'm trying to figure it out by process of elimination. But yeah right I probably won't! Just makes me feel dilligent I guess.

15. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 13, 2017

matthewnlee , Dec 13, 2017 :
    Appreciate the effort!

FYI, soon after I made the original post, a Oneplus staffer reached out on behalf of the Bug Hunter's crew and asked me to send along some logs as I replicated the poor audio. Since then, they haven't advised on what their approach will be yet. I'll provide an update when/if I hear back...

sweetberrywine likes this.
  16. sweetberrywine
    Gingerbread Dec 13, 2017

matthewnlee likes this.
  17. M1511781426508
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

M1511781426508 , Dec 13, 2017 :
    I have a similar problem.
    The audio quality is okay. But currently I don't have anything to compare. So.. yea.

But... sometimes (direct after the connection to my Pioneer Radio is established and the music is starting) it lags some times and also sometimes I got a "fast" version after this lag.

As soon as I switch to the next title everything is fine again. Until the next reconnect or change (like a incoming call).
    It is so anyoing....

18. johnpauljj
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

johnpauljj , Dec 13, 2017 :
    Yea there was a definite improvement with this update, but the issue still remains. Just not as bad or as prominent? Not sure what the right terminology is, but at least using my radio is more tolerable now.

19. matthewnlee
    Eclair Dec 16, 2017

matthewnlee , Dec 16, 2017 :
    Just as an update, I tried the OP5T in my friends brand new Nissan last night and I managed to replicate the issue. No update from my Oneplus contacts whom I sent the logs to yet, but I'm going to guess we won't see any improvement until the next build they release. Hoping it will at least be resolved by Oreo~

20. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 16, 2017

AbhishekS287 , Dec 16, 2017 :
    Tried my Bluetooth headsets again last night. They connect fine but the sound is choppy. Even the audio video is not synced at times and sounds keeps on chopping at times.

Later tried two different Bluetooth earphones (Sony and Bose), same issues on them too.