Poor Portrait Shots with horrible Skin Tone

1. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

crazy.beans , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Has anyone else noticed how bad the skin tone is on the portrait shots of the Oneplus 7T? Every time I take a pic it seems to be blurry & has a greenish tint. The skin color on the subjects are way off reality.

Even though 7T has f 2.2 12 mp telephoto lens the performance is way off compared to my Mi 9T Pro 8 MP f 2.4 telephoto lens!! I am wondering is it an issue of my phone cause I saw many Youtube reviews of the 7T & none of them mentioned these issues while taking portrait shots.

Anyway will Oneplus fix these issues in a future update? Really disappointed after spending quite a lot to get the 7T only to end up with such poor results on the telephoto lens. I have attached samples with this post. Please share your thoughts.

Attached Files:

bullu likes this.
  2. bullu , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Feb 24, 2020 :
    telephoto portrait shots quality is very poor quality
    warmer skin tone
    missing details
    blurry images

front camera portrait shots quality is not good take
    blurry images

OnePlus 7T camera quality need more improvement

crazy.beans likes this.
  3. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Why don't you post some camera samples so that we can understand your problem thoroughly.

crazy.beans likes this.
  4. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Feb 24, 2020

Horsault , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Portrait mode was designed to be used at .5-2 metres from subject, using main camera (no telecamera, no wide angle camera), with a light source in front of your subject and no back light.

As 1st approach, all your samples show insufficient front light and back lighting.

If you don't use a camera mode within its application range, you can't expect optimal results.

5. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

crazy.beans , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 24, 2020 :
    I already attached these samples with my original post, dunno why they aren't showing.
    1582543437946.jpg

1582543437965.jpg

1582543438000.jpg

6. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

Before explaining the basics of portrait shots please read the post carefully. As I already explained under same light conditions & distance the Mi 9T Pro 8 mp telephoto lens produces significantly better results compared to the 7T's 12 mp one.

7. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

8. NumberSix
    Gingerbread Feb 24, 2020

NumberSix , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Other than it looking like you need to clean your lens the photos look absolutely fine on my monitor (calibrated with a X-Rite i1Display Studio)

Rana_S likes this.
  9. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

Obviously buy why are so skin tones so messed up? Post processing is absolutely horrible, my Mi 9T Pro takes much better portrait shots under the same conditions with 8 mp telephoto lens.

10. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Also it seems to me that it's a focusing problem. The subject doesn't seem to be perfectly in focus. I think these will be significantly better if focussing is done well.

11. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 24, 2020 :
    Well, I can't comment on the skin tones as I've not seen the person in real life. But I feel OnePlus needs to improve their overall image post-processing to improve photo quality.

crazy.beans likes this.
  12. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

Well I've got a Dell Ultrasharp monitor which might not be as fancy as yours but they known for their brilliant color calibration and to me skin tone looks way off and there's a significant loss of detail in the photos.

13. MiH!R
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

MiH!R , Feb 24, 2020 :
    I will agree to this, it actually bad given that its a flagship-level device and this is not expected. I have also compared the output with other devices (Redmi, Oppo Vivo, etc) and honestly, I was shocked to see how bad the pictures turned out.
    The Skin tones look Greenish, Redish or Mustard yellow in most of the shots and color accuracy was way off. I hope they fix it soon its really annoying.

crazy.beans likes this.
  14. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 24, 2020 :
    1582544128946.jpg
    This is a photo taken in artificial lighting in portrait mode from OnePlus 7T. Looks to me the overall picture is good enough, if not perfect.

crazy.beans likes this.
  15. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

I can only get these kinda shots using the main camera for portrait shots or g.cam 🙄

16. crazy.beans
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

Good to see someone who isn't biased in their opinions [e]1f44d[/e]

17. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 24, 2020 :
    So, here's the thing. The picture that I posted was taken in wide angle portrait mode in artificial lighting, and that uses the main lens. But I believe the photos that you took was in telephoto portrait mode, which uses the telephoto lens. Hence my photo quality was superior than yours. So my advice, try to take portrait shots in wide angle mode.

18. NumberSix
    Gingerbread Feb 24, 2020

NumberSix , Feb 24, 2020 :
    The thing is they were taken indoors under artificial light, the top one looks fine if a little hazy, a bit like the lens needs cleaning. The middle one looks fine, the whites in it are white so no colour balance issues. The third one looks like you have wobbled a bit while using a slow shutter speed, it isn't bad focus it is motion blur. However all 3 look like they were taken with a very high ISO due to poor lighting and have suffered a loss of detail because of that and if that was the case then no matter what you do you cannot get around that.

19. bullu , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Feb 24, 2020 :
    just look at this sample actually telephoto portrait shots need more improvement
    missing details
    over smoothness no Sharpness
    sometime noisy images
    colours are not natural over saturated

7T need more improvement

1582559383056.jpg

1582559383161.jpg

1582559383251.jpg

crazy.beans likes this.
  20. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Feb 24, 2020

Horsault , Feb 24, 2020 :
    I'm sorry. Really.

From your post I thought you wanted to know users thoughts on why your pics were not optimal and how to take better pics. I would have given you more advices on white balance and how to get the most from your OnePlus device, which might be designed to work slightly differently from its competitors, as each brand has its own design goals.

Once again I'm sorry that you didn't like my post and won't post on this thread any longer.