Poor product, terrible service, the company refuses to return

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipeterfu
    Eclair Jan 7, 2015

ipeterfu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I am in California, U.S.

I received my Oneplusone(64G) on Dec 15, 2014. The cellphone have hearing problems with the cellphone (people can't hear me on the other hand but the microphone works normally when I did the recording tests). I googled it and there are many other users who had the same problem.

I filed a return request on Dec 18, 2014, only 4 days after I received the cellphone and 8 days after the order(I made the order on Dec 10, 2014). Based on the return policy, I can return the phone within 15 days without any specific reasons.

The support system was super slow. Sometime they ignore my replies and just ask to close the ticket. Now they keep copying/pasting the same answer and send it back to me. They kept asking to do some remote check and kept tell me they would't return the cellphone for me unless I agree to accept the remote access. But I just want to return the product and don't want to waste more time on it.

I opened a dispute on Paypal last night. I got another email from Oneplus and still the exact same content.

There are some communication history. They didn't even bother reading my email and keep using the same content to reply me. It is so frustrating. I am not a difficult customer, I have been using different smartphones for more than 6 years. The problem is, how can I depend on them based on them the terrible support service?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evelyn
    Evelyn (OnePlus)

Jan 07 17:43

Thanks for your support on OnePlus.
    We would like to have the chance to help you out.

However, the device can be processed RRR support only after we try out best to detect the issue from Tech Support.

We'd appreciate your support and patience.

Have a nice day
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipeterfu
    ipeterfu

Jan 07 04:49

I am going to file a paypal dispute product return if I get no answers from you till tonight.

Thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipeterfu
    ipeterfu

Jan 06 23:37

Hi,
    Are you really reading my message???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My initial return request was within 14 days and I don't need any specific reason to return the cellphone. I need the the phone to be returned.
    Please let me know how to file a complaint to your support service. Also, I will file another complaint to Federal Trade Commission.
    I say it again, my initial return request was within 14 days after the delivery, I am asking to return the cellphone for no specific return.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evelyn
    Evelyn (OnePlus)

Jan 06 18:29

Dear DAHAI

The device can be processed through RMA only after we try out best to detect the issue from Tech Support.

We will further your case to RRR support if the remote access results in nothing.

Regards,
    Evelyn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipeterfu
    ipeterfu

Jan 06 00:13

Hi,
    I don't think so.
    Based on the return policy, "Consumers purchasing products directly from OnePlus.net are entitled to return their product within 14 calendar days after delivery without any specific reason.". My initial return request was only few days after delivery and you kept using your slow response and ignores to delay it.
    I need to file a complaint.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evelyn
    Evelyn (OnePlus)

Jan 05 15:50

Sorry for the inconvenience.

However, the device can be processed through RMA only after we try out best to detect the issue from Tech Support.

We'd appreciate your support and patience.

Have a nice day

2. vdd65
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

vdd65 , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Evelyn was nice to me during my ordering process. Good luck man.

3. bkieu
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

bkieu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I heard this so many times already, I'm sorry for your situation :(
    Contact PayPal for better solution :)

4. nobelium76
    KitKat Jan 7, 2015

nobelium76 , Jan 7, 2015 :
    That was mind numbing. You pretty much got the same response regardless of what you wrote.

5. ipeterfu
    Eclair Jan 7, 2015

ipeterfu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I won't deny that I like the phone a lot and the price is good. But I won't recommend it to my friends. If I bought cellphone in Bestbuy, I would be able to go directly to the store to return it. Now, I wasted so much time and effort. It is frustrating.

calambur and Jael Pendragon like this.
  6. juddlevy
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015

juddlevy , Jan 7, 2015 :
    yes, they are stalling. You have every right to return the phone and don't have to give them a chance to fix it if you don't want to. File a paypal dispute for sure.

7. oojafink
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

oojafink , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I'm so glad I don't have to deal with people who do that in their emails.

kelly2kelz, addam, Souliere and 5 others like this.
  8. tcnchristian
    Froyo Jan 7, 2015

tcnchristian , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Even though I have had no issues myself (apart from a vague yellow band) threads like this are why I will not buy OP2.

Paypal dispute will speed things up.

scumdroid, damian_44, hln1969 and 2 others like this.
  9. Maphesta
    Donut Jan 7, 2015

Maphesta , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I felt like it was a poor product due to its bad battery life. Turned out its the Spotify app that kils your battery. If you don't stop the Spotify app in Settings -> Apps -> Spotify -> Stop now... the app will keep the phone from entering Sleep Mode, resulting in a battery that hardly last a day.

Now I love the phone. With high usage, the battery can still last 2,5 days.

Mztech likes this.
  10. ipeterfu
    Eclair Jan 7, 2015

ipeterfu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Usually I am a good tempered guy. I just pasted the last few emails and you didn't see the rest. I have been contacting their for 20 days now and always received the same reply no matter what I wrote to them. I was frustrated. I know it is hard to work as customer support. I used to do that kind of job too. This is not a n individual problem, there are some problems with the support system.

11. SoniaB
    Community Hero 2020 Jan 7, 2015

12. ipeterfu
    Eclair Jan 7, 2015

ipeterfu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I don't have any problem with the battery, it is a hearing problem.

13. HiiP0WER
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

HiiP0WER , Jan 7, 2015 :
    PayPal dispute and contact your bank for sure..

If worse comes to worse, ship it back directly to them and take picture documentation of your return process and then tell your bank and give them your photos. They should be able to just refund your money and tell OP to kick rocks

Jael Pendragon and AuntieAnn like this.
  14. tigerfrost
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

tigerfrost , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Have you done a full factory reset on your phone ?

By now customers who buy this phone should understand that their customer service is not exactly AMAZING.. yet people will still buy and then turn to complaining on the forums when their product does not work as expected.

We all understand that its frustrating when your hard earned is wasted on something that does not work, i would be even more frustrated if i bought a well known brand at double the price. - It all comes with the price you pay, its a risky business trusting a company that's just released their first phone and expect them to have top notch everything.... its what they call * teething problems

I hope you get your phone resolved, never settle and have a nice day!
    ;)

mukas, rhtrex, ShyamM and 1 other person like this.
  15. SARVJOT LOCHAM
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

SARVJOT LOCHAM , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Open claim with PayPal and get money refunded by PayPal following instructions by PayPal. Best of luck my friend

And keep in mind never close your claim with PayPal if by chance OPO ask you to close or cancel claim with PayPal and they will refund you the money. Keep in mind don't trust that comment stick with PayPal.

Because PayPal actions are for sure there is no turn around at all but OPO never know. I have been through.
    Best of Luck

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

16. ipeterfu
    Eclair Jan 7, 2015

ipeterfu , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Thanks, I opened a claim on PayPal already

17. raypaulmer
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015

raypaulmer , Jan 7, 2015 :
    It's stories like this that make me hesitant to get the phone. But then tons of people absolutely LOVE their phone. It seems like it's almost a matter of chance whether you get a good phone or one with problems. I wonder if this is an issue with manufacturing consistency and quality control.

18. ellisonline
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

ellisonline , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I was on/again off/again on this phone. I see a few folks with negative experiences who seem to post over-and-over again. Let me sum it up:

1) Some folks have had issues with post-sales support/RMA's etc - this is a small company with a hot product. Worst case a paypal dispute will work - but honestly - I do believe they will work with you - just be patient and follow the process.

2) Yellow Band - I've seen a number of reports of yellow banding - with photo's online - and I have difficulty seeing what the fuss is about - maybe its just my old eyes - but if I have to really work to see the described issue - I have trouble giving it credence. Is it perhaps just that the photos aren't doing the problem justice?

3) Battery Life - seemed to be a couple of battery issues reported - ultimately a firmware issue - seems resolved with later firmware.

4) Scattered reports of mic issues - again - given that the mic works in other apps most likely a issue with firmware or headset - suggest reflashing to stock.

One Plus sold 500K+ Handsets this year - based on the forums I see 20 vocal customers with issues. Thats not bad - credit where it is due.

The one suggestion I would make is OnePlus should hire a 3rd party ombudsman to act as a final point of escalation - the loudest and most resonant complaint is having nowhere to escalate when things go wrong.

For a consumer focused company thats less than 10 months old and not north american based - bravo - job well done.

DISCLAMER: I own a phone, I love it, and I don't work for OnePlus (but I do work in the Industry).

19. rritambhar
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

rritambhar , Jan 7, 2015 :
    what exactly is your point in this context?

20. dat niggah
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2015