Poor UK Repair Service

1. dalephillips
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2021

dalephillips , Oct 19, 2021 :
    Hello everyone,

Just a thread to warn people against using the OnePlus Repair service.

Firstly, I think it needs to be highlighted that OnePlus now use a 3rd party company to perform their repairs. Your phone will not be repaired by OnePlus directly as it used to be. It won't be clear that that is the case until you receive a quote from the company and the options are to pay the fee for the repair, or the £14.40 fee to return the phone to you.

Secondly, I have had no communication at all about the status of the repair once the repair quote has been accepted. I chased up the status of the repair last Friday as it had been almost 4 weeks since the acceptance of the quote and I was informed that they are awaiting parts (I am having the screen and back cover replaced at the cost of £200.70 on a OP7Pro) which are expected on the 28th October.

So it is going to be at least 6 weeks that the repair company have had my phone when the OnePlus estimate is 7-9 days.

Now, I understand that there can and are part delays at the moment but being kept updated with delays is just standard customer service practice and if informed of the delay a week or 2 after the repair acceptance then I may have requested the phone returned and explored other options. Instead, I have waited 4 weeks so I may as well put up with my borrowed phone and wait another 2 weeks.

TL;DR: Do not use OnePlus Repair service. Repairs aren't done by OnePlus, You will have no communication, 7-9 day estimate is highly unlikely.

Sorry for the rant, I am just disappointed in OnePlus as the owner of many OP phones over the years.

2. ChrisOnePlusAccount
    Gingerbread Oct 19, 2021

ChrisOnePlusAccount , Oct 19, 2021 :
    Thanks for posting, always good to know!

I somehow haven't needed to repair any of my phones, hopefully it stays that way :)

Good luck with getting your phone back.

If you don't mind saying, how did you manage to break your phone? and did you have a case on it?

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 19, 2021

Bobbie63 , Oct 19, 2021 :
    As far as I know, repairs have never been done by OnePlus, previously I think the phone would have been send to Polen for repair, to CTDI to be more specific, which is a third party. Lately I’ve seen someone mention some repair company in the UK, can’t remember the name of that company though.

the price given for the replacement of the screen and the back cover seems to be OK though. The time it takes to replace them is ridiculous I think. As for communication, well let’s say……….I’ve seen better.:rolleyes:

4. dalephillips
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2021

dalephillips , Oct 20, 2021 :
    I did it in 2 stages! Dropped from a very small height onto a patio which cracked the back panel but I left that for a while as is was still usable. Then I randomly just pulled it out of my pocket one day and the screen was smashed! I guess I must have leant on something which broke it. All very annoying to be honest. It did have a case on it as well which made it even more irritating.

5. dalephillips
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2021

dalephillips , Oct 20, 2021 :
    SBE Ltd is the company now doing UK repairs, it appears they repair a lot of manufacturers phones.

My colleague had 2 OP phones repaired in the past from the Poland company and had nothing but good service from them, That was why I followed through with this one as I had assumed it would be the same!

I have no issues with the price to be honest it is just the lack of communications or alternatives offered due to the lengthy lead time. But there we go, I will just wait it out and see if I get the phone returned at any point soon.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 20, 2021

Bobbie63 , Oct 20, 2021 :
    I sure hope you get stuff fixed any time soon, not much more one can do at this point I’m afraid. I do understand your concern on communication, I stil don’t really understand what’s going on here. There have been issues with Poland too I guess but that might have been the usual incidents we see everywhere.

to be honest, OnePlus or affiliated companies and communication isn’t really a match in general, not just the UK.

Still the best luck on a swift repair.

7. D1631539647902
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2021

D1631539647902 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 29, 2021 :
    Same applies to Germany. They received my device 5 weeks ago and still didn't start the repair. 5 contacts complaining to the service didn't change a thing. All answers promising to escalate to a higher level seem to be simple lies.

8. binkygriptite
    Cupcake Nov 8, 2021

binkygriptite , Nov 8, 2021 :
    This is concerning... I bought a OP9P which arrived with a cluster of dead pixels around the front camera, immediately sent off to SBE Ltd for a replacement (why a replacement would need to go to a repair company I don't know... maybe they just need to verify the problem? But then if I wanted to return a perfectly functional phone I could have anyway without 'making up' a defect)... proof of delivery obtained but they haven't acknowledged receipt yet.

It doesn't take five minutes to open the package, turn on the phone and see the issue but it sounds like I could be without my phone for a while all the same if they slowtime...

9. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 25, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Sirk2k , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 25, 2021 at 10:13 AM :
    I'm in the same boat, frankly the whole service from OnePlus and SBE is a shambles.

The OnePlus website still shows my phone as service requested. I chased up OnePlus after my phone had been confirmed as delivered by royal mail and they told me I had been emailed a quote by SBE (I had not - it turns out they had posted a quote, I was traveling for business and unaware of this archaic practice).

OnePlus then gave me a link to the SBE tracking portal and I paid for the repair online. Over a week later and it still says awaiting component. My phone has been sent away for nearly a month at this point.

I appreciate the damage I caused was my fault and I've paid handsomely for this fix. Having read the reviews on SBE, I'm concerned about additional damage or issues on return.

I very much doubt I'll be buying another device from OnePlus if getting a fix is so problematic. Back to the Pixel series it seems now that it supports SIM + eSIM.
    Hopefully I'll get my 9pro back soon.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  10. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2021 at 10:28 AM

Bobbie63 , Nov 25, 2021 at 10:28 AM :
    I’m sorry to read your story, unfortunately the only thing we can do on these forums is to tag a mod to escalate you case and see if she/he can speed up things or at least get an answer on what’s going on. Nearly a month gone and no update isn’t the way things should go.

if you can post your case ID I can tag a moderator for you to escalate.

Sirk2k likes this.
  11. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 25, 2021 at 10:36 AM

Sirk2k , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 25, 2021 at 10:36 AM :
    I work in logistics so I'm not naive to issues in the current global supply chain and perhaps one week after making payment is expecting too much (device was posted end of October).
    However, as a brand new flagship phone that I've paid nearly £300 to fix the screen for the repair centre to NOT have the screen available is frankly absurd. They don't update you with a rough ETA or provide additional correspondence either, you just have to do a daily refresh on the case page.

Case ID is GBSI211028023

superplus and Bobbie63 like this.
  12. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM

Bobbie63 , Nov 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM :
    I also know about the shortage on components, however even for whatever reason, like in your case the screen isn’t available, there should at least be some kind of feedback on when components become available again.

The other issue I have problems with is the fact you submit your repair at OnePlus, that makes them in my opinion responsible to do the follow-up and they are the ones that should provide you with all relevant information. The fact they use a third party to do the repairs, doesn’t absolve them from the responsibility for that repair in my opinion.

To me, it sounds strange you apply for a repair at Oneplus, you get the feedback from SBE on what has to be done and the costs involved. Did you pay SBE or Oneplus? Who is at the end responsible for the repair? These all just a few question that come to mind?

But all that is too late for you right now, most important you get your phone back, so @superplus , sorry to bother you again but could you look into this and see if you can be of any assistance?

superplus and Sirk2k like this.
  13. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 25, 2021 at 11:26 AM

Sirk2k , Nov 25, 2021 at 11:26 AM :
    Completely agree, I applied for repair with Oneplus and then it was handed over entirely to SBE. I had to pay SBE for the repair or be charged a return fee (£14-15 I think). The Oneplus service portal doesn't acknowledge the repair at all. They have record of it though as they provided me with the ultimate link to see the status / make payment of the repair.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  14. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM

Bobbie63 , Nov 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM :
    That’s exactly what I meant and that’s also where things go wrong and information gets lost. Now this was a repair you had to pay for, one could wonder what happens if it’s under warranty. My humble opinion is OnePlus should coordinate this and not pass it on when users start to ask questions.

Oh well, not much we can do now, good luck on your repair, I hope you’ll get your phone back soon again………in perfect state.

Shailender Sharma and Sirk2k like this.
  15. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM

Sirk2k , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM :
    I hope so, my OP6 isn't really fit for purpose any more. If the Pixel 6 Pro comes back into stock before my OP9Pro is confirmed for return, this may well be the end of my oneplus loyalty.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Bobbie63 likes this.
  16. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Nov 25, 2021 at 3:53 PM

superplus , Nov 25, 2021 at 3:53 PM :
    Thanks for the tag @Bobbie63

Hi, has your repair/replacement been processed by now?

Just to confirm, you're saying they sent you the quote through the post? As in, by means of an actual physical letter in an envelope?

Thank you, could you just confirm the overall timeline of the various stages? You sent your device off towards the end of October. When was your device confirmed as delivered by Royal Mail? When did you finally receive & pay the quotation (through the emailed link, as obtained through contact with CS)? Have you requested any status update from CS since then? When has your last contact with CS regarding this been?

17. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM

superplus and Shailender Sharma like this.
  18. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Sirk2k , Nov 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM :
    No, as of this moment is still states awaiting component.

Yep, an actual physical letter. I did not know this until I came back from my trip only to see it sat on my doormat.

Time line was:
    28th October - Contact Oneplus Support, RMA label generated by Royal Mail to SBE, device posted that afternoon
    4th November - For unknown reasons it takes Royal Mail (using Tracked24) to deliver package
    15th November - I contact Oneplus support asking what is going on, they tell me I need to accept a quote that has been emailed to me by SBE. I tell them I've received no email, eventually they provide a link to the SBE repair portal. I see a quote for repair there for the replacement screen and pay immediately - confirmed by email from SBE.
    21st November - return from business trip to see Quote 'letter' sent from SBE on showing that they received the device on 8th November (not the 4th November as delivered by Royal Mail) and they sent a letter on 10th November (I was already away).

And thats it, no idea when I'll get it back. I've not tried to contact CS again as if SBE are awaiting a part, I don't need to be a jerk about it. But similarly, I have no idea when it will be fixed and honestly I've little faith in this process now.

superplus and Bobbie63 like this.
  19. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Nov 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM

superplus , Nov 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM :
    Thanks for the additional information and so sorry to hear it's been such a slow process so far. I wondered if CS would be able to at least give you an indication of the estimated wait if you contacted them?

Bobbie63 likes this.
  20. Sirk2k
    Eclair Nov 26, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Sirk2k , Nov 26, 2021 at 10:39 AM :
    Well, I've escalated with CS over chat.
    To sum up, they've said they'll try to escalate although not sure what they can do as the ticket with SBE is still sat on awaiting component. Kinda hope I do get some sort of resolution today as there are few black Friday offers that would be worth considering if this is gonna drag on.

Bobbie63 and superplus like this.