Pop-up Camera vs. Waterdrop Notch Camera. Which do you prefer?

?

Which style of front camera do you like?

1. Pop-up

122 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Notch

44 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. K1577639756047
    Cupcake Dec 29, 2019

V1544387248968 likes this.
  2. DrAvra
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2019

DrAvra , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    pop up camera has some advantages like it makes it possible for the screen to have a uninterrupted notches clean display. And the wow factor is also there.
    I prefer the pop up camera.

3. Yash_kakhani
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2019

Yash_kakhani , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    No wonder that there can be no clear winner. And after all the pop up camera is something different and unique. And also if we see the Pop up camera can lift weights up to 49.2lbs which is also unusual and shows the quality of manufacturing and use of technology. Nothing bad for waterdrop but it just that it is common.

And anyways everyone has different opinions and views but if we compare pop up vs waterdrop.Pop up is slightly given higher preference. it gives us full infinity screen and the best futuristic screen.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019

4. BAWLA CHHORA
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2019

5. Secondbushome
    Gingerbread Dec 31, 2019

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 31, 2019 :
    Pop-up camera is generally much better for my use case where I rarely use the front camera but do like watching a lot of videos. The clean, full display is such a great feature to have. The waterdrop notch is the most passable of all these newer front designs, though I would always just hide it. The worst design is the cutout or hole punch, that creates a visual disturbance within the viewing area. It will be terrible if the OnePlus 8 phones actually go with that design next year.

6. Lostprophet85
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2019

Lostprophet85 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    Pop-up camera all the way. I don't do selfies. I wouldn't even mind if the front camera broke, I simply don't need it. That fullscreen display without any intrusion is priceless though, I don't think I could ever go back from that.
    Plus the added sense of security is really appreciated.

The round edges are a different story though. While Samsung at least had tailored software to utilize those edges, on the 7 Pro it feels like I don't have any benefit but only downsides (nasty reflections, distorted images). So a flat display like the 7T with a pop-up camera would be the best possible solution for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new 7 Pro, but I love it despite the curved edges, not because of them.

7. GuruLucky1
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2020

8. Buzz85 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 1, 2020 :
    Having come from a Samsung, I decided I didn't watch a phone with a notch. Just not a fan of this trend, so I opted for the OP7P.

I wouldn't say the pop up camera is slow for facial recognition, but it's not instant. There is a pause before it pops up, recognises you and then closes.
    Even though they are becoming less intrusive, I'd still prefer the pop up to a notch. I'm not a selfie taker either, so it's going to be rarely used. If I'd been forced into a notch I would have switched on the hide notch option, and then had that bar across the screen. So while I'm not going to use it much, I'm definitely pop up over notch. But, those less security conscious, and who favour selfies might not like the delay of the pop up.

Personally I use the finger print scanner, as that is quicker for unlock than the pop up . With that said, it's not perfect either as there is an extra step to switch the screen on first. My previous phone could unlock the screen instantly, even with the screen being switched off.

I accept these compromises because of the screen, but in the future OnePlus might favour security over a trend.

The in screen sensor is kinda cool, but it could be rear placed, or even placed in the power key like a few other devices. I know by 2020 that's old design, but, a rear/ side placed finger scanner could offer speed and security, while still offering the bezel-less screen. And OnePlus might earn that Never Settle moniker back.

I've talked about how the finger print sensor works, because of how the pop up works. I prefer the bezel-less screen, but that pushes me into a pop up camera, which in turn forces me to use the finger print scanner and not facial recognition. So I can't talk about the pop up without talking about the finger print sensor.

On the whole I love the OnePlus 7 Pro, but it definitely adds a few compromises. The next time I'm looking to upgrade, if the current OnePlus has addressed these sort of things then I'll stick with OnePlus.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020

mmohansasanka likes this.
  9. Flyingrootbeer
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2020

10. bheath101
    Cupcake Jan 2, 2020

11. H1575809962330
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

H1575809962330 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    honor 8 with a capacitive has been faster and more accurate than any onscreen sensor. I even prefer a bezel than a notch or punch hole. The pixel 3a is selling great.
    more than good enough specs for the average user. great display, good enough processor. super fast no fuss capacitive fingerprint sensor. superb battery life. and arguably the best camera in the bussiness. for $300usd (on sale) oneplus could learn a thing or 2 but I guess they are heading the Samsung/apple route.

12. R1575164588247
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

13. soccastar123
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

soccastar123 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    The Honor 8 is garbage and shouldn't even be in the same paragraph as OnePlus. The no bezel route is the way phones are going and with good reason, bigger screens and overall smaller footprint because of it. The pixel 3a is a good piece of hardware but not what I want in a phone. The 3a is mainly popular because it's cheap, Google, and fast updates as long as it's not a carrier model.

14. H1566324785867
    Cupcake Jan 5, 2020

H1566324785867 , via OnePlus 7 , Jan 5, 2020 :
    I don't want to prefer the pop-up cemara .. because my friend mobile OnePlus 7pro Mobile's pop-up cemara not opening properly within a month we are facing problem on it ..
    1578184200469.jpg

15. soccastar123
    Froyo Jan 5, 2020

soccastar123 , Jan 5, 2020 :
    lemons happen! that's why there is a warranty.

16. dnel86
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2020

17. G1577629859105
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2020