Portuguese customers warning via OnePlus 9

1. davidsaraiv
    Eclair Apr 27, 2021

davidsaraiv , via OnePlus 9 , Apr 27, 2021 :
    I'm from Portugal and I recently bought the OnePlus 9.
    The last I bought was was the OnePlus 3T, did it through the OnePlus online store. The problem that I had was the international taxes I had to pay.
    So I bought the OnePlus 9 on the OnePlus online "Portuguese Store", ate least that's what the website said. I made the pre reservation of the phone and paid the deposit value. To my surprise when the value was retrieved from my account I noticed an additional tax of "international transfer" this because it was an Hong Kong entity that took the money, and I paid even more when I paid the remaining phone amount. In total I paid an additional 30€ in taxes.
    This is a warning for all portuguese customers thinking that you are buying something from Europe, it is sent from Europe but the payment is to Hong Kong.
    Oh and the OnePlus support said it was not their problem, I complaint because there should at least be a warning on their store. We as a customer have the right to have an informed purchase.

TheMystic and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  2. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Apr 27, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Did you placed the order here?
    https://www.oneplus.com/pt/oneplus-9
    Screenshot_20210427-163228.jpg

How much the payment exceeded from 729 € or 829 € for OnePlus 9?
    You didn't mentioned your payment method in your post.

Bobbie63, Tokolozi and Caoimhín like this.
  3. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 27, 2021

4. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 27, 2021

McJader, otto2, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  5. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Thanks for the tag Tokolozi! Never happened to me... I already bought the OnePlus 7T, 6T, several covers, tempered glass, etc... I always bought from the official website and always received the products without paying customs.

6. davidsaraiv
    Eclair Apr 27, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  7. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 27, 2021 :
    My best guess would be credit card, however i can't remember what additional cost we're years ago when I ordered my OP3, the only thing that could be applied here is the additional cost charged by the credit card company as mentioned in the sales terms, 3.3

Screenshot_20210427-131105.png

Shailender Sharma and Caoimhín like this.
  8. davidsaraiv
    Eclair Apr 27, 2021

I'm not talking about customs. I'm saying that if you make a transfer/payment outside Europe you pay this tax

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  9. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

Belgium and Portugal are the same in this case I guess, although the weather is waayy better. :p

10. davidsaraiv
    Eclair Apr 27, 2021

You are correct, the thing is I assumed I was safe, since I was buying something from the "Portuguese store"

Bobbie63 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  11. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

Are you talking about the fee charged for using your card, right? This situation also never happened to me.

otto2, Bobbie63 and Caoimhín like this.
  12. davidsaraiv
    Eclair Apr 27, 2021

Yep. I'm just trying to warn the other portuguese buyers to not fall in the same mistake as me.

Bobbie63 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  13. Tokolozi

Tokolozi , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Are these costs not the "international payment fees" some Credit Cards have in their clause? These are not tax, but basically a fee for the bank itself. These costs may vary from bank to bank so that's why most users may not have these costs.

Usually online CC providers have higher fees on these parts, that's their whole business model.

TheMystic, McJader, otto2 and 4 others like this.
  14. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

Compreendo e eu pensava que não se cobrava essa taxa. Também usei o mbway
    I understand and I thought that this fee was not charged. I also used mbway

15. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2021

I know and it shouldn't be hidden like this tbh. I even had to search for the sales terms on the Portugese part as they didn't show up on the home page.

16. Tokolozi

Btw, to some form this is stated in the terms of sales:

5. Payments
    a. Prices and currencies displayed at checkout are final. OnePlus does not charge extra transaction fees. You agree that OnePlus shall not be held liable for any fees in addition to those displayed at checkout.

b. If you are paying for your order with an international credit or debit card, the price displayed in your card statement may vary based on exchange rates. Your bank or card issuer may also charge additional foreign conversion charges and fees, which may increase the overall cost of your purchase. Please contact your bank or card issuer regarding any fees incurred.

17. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 27, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Olá David,

As @Bobbie63 quoted from here:

upload_2021-4-27_12-18-50.png

This is something OnePlus has no control over, as it's a fee from your credit card supplier, not OnePlus. I know this does not happen with PayPal, as I've recently completed an order, but it may happen with credit cards, depending on the fees they have in place..

McJader, otto2, SoniaB and 4 others like this.
  18. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Apr 27, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 27, 2021 :
    I guess he has made the payment in Euros. So, ideally it should not exceed the official price mentioned on the OnePlus website.

19. Tokolozi

Some banks still charge a fee for "international" transactions, even if they don't need to do a conversion. Like I said, Especially with online only cards, this is their main business strategy.

20. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 27, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 27, 2021 :
    If bought in an EU OnePlus store, the price you see Is the price you pay. Plus shipping if its added. But there would be no international charge. Only charge that could be applied would be by the CC company. If they are charging for international payments, then they are breaking EU rules, as the whole transaction on the localised OnePlus EU country website is within the EU itself.

Check with MBWay why they have applied this charge, as it shouldn't happen with purchases within the EU.