Possible Issue With Background Tasks / Battery Optimisation

1. OBiW4NSHiNOBi
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

OBiW4NSHiNOBi , Jun 7, 2018 :
    I've been using SMS Backup & Restore for years, without issue, to schedule the backup of my SMS history and call logs. Currently backup is around 1.9Gb so the whole process of backing up, and uploading can take a little time.

This process runs at 3am, while my phone is on charge and until May worked without a problem. But now it just fails, at some point during the upload without warning, no error messages, no notifications.

I've gone through the logs, and spoke to the developers and they seem pretty convinced that it's the battery optimisation process killing off the background task despite the fact that I have disabled the battery optimisation for the app, and disabled the "Advanced Optimisation" options.

Does anyone else have this issue with this app or any other apps that require long running background processes?

It seemed to start around the time of the 5.1.1 update.

G_plusone likes this.
  2. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Jun 7, 2018

3. OBiW4NSHiNOBi
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

As stated, I've gone through my settings with the developers of the app. Nothings changed. I've sent them numerous logs, they've checked them. My settings are correct.

4. OBiW4NSHiNOBi
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

It fails exactly the same way, if I run it manually. I sat and watched the status icon just disappear from the status bar while the app was running in the background.

Then I sent the developer the logs, their response;

"That again sounds like the phone is killing the app while it's trying to upload the file."

5. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Jun 7, 2018

Horsault , Jun 7, 2018 :
    What I mean is some options like local saving to a 3rd party cloud service may cause trouble when phone isn't awake. It may be your cloud app settings. Or maybe network unavailability at backup exact time that causes error.

6. Mukund760
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2018

Mukund760 , Jun 7, 2018 :
    Run Sms Back up app, then go to recent menu. There will be a small lock icon in the top right corner of the app window. Tap it. now that perticular app will never leave from memory.

7. OBiW4NSHiNOBi
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2018

Possibly, with a large file my first thought was that might be the case, however when I've tested manually working via the same network remotely on a server and experienced no loss of connectivity when the app disappeared.

Also, if it was a problem with connectivity, network or otherwise, then it would show in the logs, as the SMS Backup app would still be running having not been culled from memory mid process.

I have no answers, neither do the devs, but things seem to point to the battery optimisation closing the app, despite it being set otherwise.