Answered Possible OxygenOS 12 previews|betas ? – General Question about time difference

1. T1614081701982
    Cupcake Feb 23, 2021

T1614081701982 , Feb 23, 2021 :
    I've given up on Oxygen OS 11 already, not worth waiting any longer/waste time with a version that has had so many release issues when Android 12 is around the corner anyway with much better functionalities compared to 11.

When can we expect betas or previews of Android 12/OxygenOS 12?
    Yes I know its way too early to tell, and given the absolute horribly chaos that Oxygen OS 11 is for OnePlus 7 Pro, it makes it many times worse.
    From experience/the past, when did betas approx (months) became available after a new version of Android was released
    Is it possible to flash Android beta version myself or do I have to wait for the Oxygen type of betas?

2. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Feb 23, 2021

Gav_W86 , Feb 23, 2021 :
    Android 12 developer previews are early development builds, they are usually only produced for Google devices and a few select (generally) latest variant devices. They are often pretty unstable and have lots of app issues (they are mostly for developers to use to update their apps hence the name). I wouldn't expect a DP build for the 7 series, and trying a build that isn't built for your hardware will generally not be a success.

Oxygen OS open beta builds usually come for latest devices around the time that Google actually releases the final code - normally beginning of September, could be a few weeks earlier this year, though not confirmed.
    After initially concentrating on latest series phones, they will then move on to others. And normally that would be roughly November moving through into the new year for older devices. At a rough (very unofficial) guess I would say the 7/7T series wouldn't normally be getting A12 in 2021 (would think 9 series first, then 8/8T series...)
    This year the 7/7T series was exceptionally delayed because of a Qualcomm hardware/hardware driver issue which required Qualcomm engineers to fix. 'Strangely' OnePlus thought it better to wait than to risk 7/T series owners having bricked devices/data loss...that is hardly "so many release issues"

To put things into context. Android 11 is currently on about 3-4% of Android phones globally across all OEMs.

T1614081701982 likes this.
  3. T1614081701982
    Cupcake Feb 23, 2021

T1614081701982 , Feb 23, 2021 :
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the info and I agree, 7 Series will probably receive Android12 [email protected]

What type of fix are we talking about? It really sounds like they (OnePlus) or Qualcomm really messed up and it doesn't sound like something that could be quickly fixed via a software patch at all. Like Meltdown/Spectre type of thing.
    I think people are just tired of new OnePlus phones&electronics being released with the newest version and care, yet the older stuff is let behind more and more each year.
    It very well may have something to do with the new CEO, since from that point onwards, the company went downwards but I suppose we will never know.

4. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Feb 24, 2021

Gav_W86 , Feb 24, 2021 :
    It was just a driver bug for a particular chipset as far as I'm aware (so Qualcomm supplied). Nothing like Meltdown/Spectre.

On the whole, the OnePlus update process happens in a similar in order way every year - and for most Android updates for most OEMs that is the way it works too. Only Apple & Google have enough control of the process to do big bang updates for all their supported devices.