Power button doesn't work sometimes (SOLUTION)

1. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    Hi there guys/girls today I noticed why my phone never turns on when I press the power button in my pocket before I take it out so its on by the time its held up. Simply if the proximity sensor detects something for example its in your pocket the power button doesn't work.

This is because double tap to wake used to go off while it being it in the pocket therefore they made the power button useless while in your pocket in case it turns on by its self. Which I think it stupid, because not one person randomly hits there power button while its in their pocket.

I have made a jira: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-2445

Please vote it!

Thanks!

2. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

dsmonteiro, Dec 11, 2014 :
    TBH, I don't see that as a bug and never had issues with it.

3. Ycantibeu21 Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2014

4. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    I tend to bring the phone out and click the button while removing it from my pocket and I find it very annoying that I have to wait for the sensor to see light to turn it on. I see it as a bug.

benluca likes this.
  5. Hanson Lee Lollipop Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

Hanson Lee, Dec 11, 2014 :
    That don't sound like much of a bug to me.

Just press it when it's out of your pocket.

lameking91 and ramsabi like this.
  6. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    I have it in my pocket all day and to wait while its in front of me to turn it on its kinda odd, and why would the power button be disabled if their is no light, that's very stupid.

7. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

It has nothing to do with light, it's a distance detector.

benluca, _XVoidX_ and lameking91 like this.
  8. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    Go ahead cover your proximity sensor and press the power button, it wont work. No one will accidentally hit their power button while in their pocket. In my opinion double tap to wake should be disabled when its in the pocket and the proximity sensor cant see anything.

My mistake if its an ambient light sensor or whatever I tend to mix up all the sensors :p

9. azoz11 Donut Dec 11, 2014

10. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Dec 11, 2014

gusuraman, Dec 11, 2014 :
    I like how easily people generalize. YOU never accidentally push that button.
    Sometimes while i put the phone in the pocket i accidentally push the power button. Also when i need to make the phone to fit better when sitting (mostly with small pockets i I often push it.
    I was very pleased when i discovered that the proximity sensor act also on button press.
    Finally, why do you need to turn on the phone when it's in the pocket?

benluca and ramsabi like this.
  11. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

I know that the power button won't work. But I don't see it as a bug, I see it as a feature.

You can always disable the proximity sensor verification.

12. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    How the hell do I disable it? And also if I did it would probably double to wake in my pocket which I am not a fan of.

I see it as a flaw (bug) it shouldn't disable the power button in whole, and only the double tap to wake feature. It feels like Cyanogen took a shortcut on it.

13. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

I'm currently using Lollipop so I'm not 100% sure but I think that option exists either on Screen or Gestures options.

So, you want them to disable just for the button, which can also turn on the screen, but not for the screen gestures?

14. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Dec 11, 2014

The sensor take less than 1 second to understand to be outside of the pocket.
    Actually it activate only when you push the button if I'm not wrong.
    Now. In the time you bring the phoom the pocket to your faces the display is already on.

15. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    I simply want them to disable tap to wake when the ambient sensor doesn't see light and enable the power button while the ambient sensor cannot see anything (being in pocket)

16. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Dec 11, 2014

It's in display settings just under the double tap to wake

benluca and dsmonteiro like this.
  17. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    My phone is always put the screen facing my leg haha just incase I bump into a table :p Also I cant tell when the power button will work so I have to always press the button until it works while bringing it out my pocket.

18. gusuraman Global Head Moderator Dec 11, 2014

It works with the proximity sensor not light sensor. Is it would be the light sensor the double tap wouldn't work in a dark room

19. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 11, 2014

OK, I understand your idea but simply don't agree, as the power button can also lead to unwanted screen on time and therefore undesirable battery depletion.

20. paull Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

paull, Dec 11, 2014 :
    Yeah I like the double tap feature I have nothing against it, you dont get the point I am trying to make. I want the button to work while its in my pocket, simple!