Power off alarm

1. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

weresloth , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Hi.

As many of you probably know, Cyanogen on the Oneplus One supports power off alarm. You can set an alarm, turn off your phone, and it will automatically turn on in time for the alarm to trigger.

Since it seems one of those features, like gestures, that Cyanogen developed jointly with Oneplus, and since gestures are in, I was wondering if OxygenOS currently supports power off alarm as well. Maybe someone who uses it can shed some light.

I tried searching for an answer but was unable to find one.

stegarga and hegyestomi like this.
  2. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Takendown , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Reserved. Testing now.

Edit: Does not seem to work. Is it a matter of setting the alarm and powering off, or is there a setting I must enable?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

weresloth likes this.
  3. aespinalc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2015

jussumguy and mustafaquadri like this.
  4. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

I'm completely stock, so if some kind soul who has Oxygen can test this for me, I think it's going to take less than installing a new recovery, doing a nandroid backup, installing Oxygen, testing power off alarm and restoring.

Takendown likes this.
  5. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

6. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

On Cyanogen 11, you just set the alarm and power off. If I remember correctly, if you set the alarm too close (like in 1 min.) it doesn't work. But 10 minutes ahead it always does.

Thanks for taking the time BTW, very kind of you.

7. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Ah, I see. I set it a minute prior. I'll try 10 minutes and get back to you. Also, no problem. Anything to do with OxygenOS and helping, I'm right on it. :)

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. gauzeyga
    Froyo Apr 17, 2015

9. aespinalc

aespinalc , Apr 17, 2015 :
    I see your logic and i understand it, ignore me then.

weresloth likes this.
  10. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

That's a good question as well. As soon as I receive the OTA I'll test.

This is a feature I love and haven't found on any other Android device.

11. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Can confirm, as of now, that it is not working. I'll do some more tests later on as I think it has something to do with how I set the alarm.

I've noticed that alarms set via Google Now (voice) delete themselves after they go off. This isn't the case for manually set alarms. Later on, because I don't have the time now, I'll try manually setting the alarm and will post the results here.

weresloth likes this.
  12. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

Ok thanks a lot for now.

In Cyanogen 11 Google Now alarms work as well. If you say "wake me up in 10 mins", and then switch the phone off, after about 8 mins it powers itself on, the alarm sounds after 10 mins, and then it gets deleted as you say, but that doesn't prevent it from working.

So that's already a difference that makes me think Oxygen doesn't currently support power off alarms.

I hope they will add this feature, also because it's advertised on the product page:
    https://oneplus.net/one#features-unique

Scrolling down to "Other Features" there's the "Power off Alarm" icon, and nowhere it says it requires Cyanogen, so I hope this lack of functionality is only transitory and due to Oxygen being at its first real release.

@Helen it would be nice to know something about current and future status of Power off Alarm in Oxygen.

Takendown likes this.
  13. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Interesting. I'm testing it again and have set it for fifteen minutes (turns out I do have time! Pun intended). Let's see how it goes.

Seeing as this is the first release, I'm pretty sure they'll add the feature in an upcoming update. I'll make sure I submit it to the Feedback app. If someone could confirm if this is working on COS12 too, that would be great. I had no idea they had advertised that feature on their webpage. In fact, I had no idea such a feature existed. I must have overlooked when buying it initially.

I was reading this thread and someone mentioned that it only worked when you have QuickBoot enabled via DevOps. That's strange...

14. Chriss29

Chriss29 , Apr 17, 2015 :
    I had my alarm programmed for this morning and the phone was on silent. I woke up 10 minutes late and the phone didn't ring. It was showing the alarm on the screen but there was no sound, I wonder why. I am on Cyanogen OS12 by the way, and this never happened with CM11s.

15. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

It's probably something like wake timers under Windows. They can wake the PC from sleep but not from power off as far as I know.

It would make sense for Android to have a similar limitation: there has to be some process running even in a low power mode to wake the hardware completely.

16. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

Hope they didn't ditch the feature in Cyanogen OS 12.

Maybe try to see what @Takendown was saying about QuickBoot having to be enabled for power off alarm to work. Maybe it's off by default on Lollipop.

Takendown likes this.
  17. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Possibly a bug within COS12, to be sorted out with upcoming updates. When I was on CM11s, all alarms went off even if the phone was on silent.

I agree. If all fails and I can't get it to work, I'll just put it down to the PA Team forgetting about the feature initially and expecting them to add it in a later update. I don't blame them, they only had a small amount of time to construct OxygenOS. They need us users to tell them what we need.

weresloth likes this.
  18. Takendown
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2015

Update: Apologies for the double post, but it doesn't seem to be working on OxygenOS.

19. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2015

I agree. For the first release they had to lay a good, stable and smooth foundation that they could then build upon and they have done just that, so no blame from me either.

Takendown likes this.
  20. weresloth
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2015

weresloth , Apr 18, 2015 :
    I read that thread more thoroughly, and it turns out power-off alarm works with QuickBoot disabled as well. When it seemingly wasn't working, it was because the test alarm was set too soon.

I re-read your post and my previous reply was completely off, please ignore it.

Chriss29 likes this.