Privacy Guard will open your eyes!

1. ByrdDroid
    Froyo Aug 26, 2014

ByrdDroid , Aug 26, 2014 :
    I re-read the PC Mag review again today, and it mentioned the high degree of control that Privacy Guard provides (Settings>Privacy>Privacy Guard). So I went in and started poking around. I was shocked at the permissions that some of the apps can control...
    For instance: Notepad enables permissions for location, Read Contacts, Read Call Log, read Calender, Read SMS DB, and some others.
    Power Amp enables all those and more. Even RealCalc enables all those permissions for a calculator! So I went through every app and "Denied" access to all the permissions that didn't seem crucial to the apps. I changed a lot of the others to "Always Ask", so I would at least know when the permissions are being accessed. I only left a few at "Always". It also tells you how many times those permissions have been accessed.
    The take-aways: 1: I love Cyanogen Mod! It's great to see what permissions all the apps are using, and to have so much control over them. 2: it is quite alarming what permissions that some apps use, that seem totally unnecessary for simple operation. Some of them seem to just want to collect a lot of information on users (and their contacts).
    Check your permissions... It's a real eye opener, and You might be surprised at what some of them use...

Next thing to look at: Settings>Security>Trusted Credentials. I need to look up what is supposed to be there, because there are some pretty sketchy looking things listed... Well that's for another day.

2. gman43
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2014

gman43 , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Oh wow free apps arnt so free after all woulf like to see that security post

-Alienkh- likes this.
  3. aminushki
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 26, 2014

aminushki , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Nothing is absolutely "free" in the literal sense. Somebody somehow somewhere is always paying for it.

gman43 likes this.
  4. gman43
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2014

gman43 , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Very true

matt.89 likes this.
  5. nikunj
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 26, 2014

nikunj , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Yeah Agreed.

6. risky1301
    Lollipop Aug 26, 2014

risky1301 , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Thanks for the info, I just looked at my apps and was very surprised, especially the social networking site.

-Alienkh- likes this.
  7. iTrollz
    KitKat Aug 26, 2014

8. gman43
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2014

9. shred
    Honeycomb Aug 26, 2014

shred , Aug 26, 2014 :
    Yeah honest as long as they aren't looking at me through my camera while I jerk its fine.

Tyronnster and nobelium76 like this.
  10. GRBurst
    Eclair Aug 26, 2014

GRBurst , Aug 26, 2014 :
    So you are one step ahead of the majority :)
    I do not understand why people do not care about that - most do not have any sense for their own privacy - I do not want to be a glassy person...

-Alienkh- likes this.
  11. -Alienkh-
    Jelly Bean Aug 27, 2014

-Alienkh- , Aug 27, 2014 :
    I have been careful about what I install for a while, and using this Privacy Guard feature since it came out… but just last hour, I reinstalled a few Gapps to be able to use purchased apps, and opened GPlay *before remembering to set the permissions right*.

About one minute later, Google had comfortably made its way into my Contacts list, copied it on its servers, and was proudly telling me what applications had tried, rated and commented a former classmate of mine, whom I haven't contacted in over a year. So creepy… :|

I really don't get how people just "meh" at that. I mean, imagine going to the supermarket, and the salesman whispers in your ear "Oh yeah, your neighbor bought those underwear last week, he's been very satisfied with them, you should really give them a try! :< "

everdefiant, zxrwyd, rks2000 and 2 others like this.
  12. ByrdDroid
    Froyo Aug 27, 2014

ByrdDroid , Aug 27, 2014 :
    Yeah, seriously, -Alienkh-! Very scary! I never knew about Privacy Guard until I got the OPO with CyanogenMod... The vast number of people have no idea how much info they're giving away... And as mentioned by others in this thread, that info has real value to data brokers (Acxiom, Epsilon, etc.).

13. starkst
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

starkst , Oct 27, 2014 :
    I think that regular android has this feature but they hid it in the recent releases. Cyanogen just exposes them, I think.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

14. wu_tang_880
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

wu_tang_880 , Oct 27, 2014 :
    Thanks for the thread, didn't even know android allows this much control, I usually checked the permisions when installing stuff on my tablet, didn't know I can control them in such detail

15. rks2000
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2014

rks2000 , Oct 27, 2014 :

I am not sure stock Android ever allowed us to make the changes to the default permission. (I remember they opened up briefly but they locked it back!) As far as I know, stock Android only had 'all-or-nothing' or 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude! Yes, custom ROMs had that option. I turned on privacy guard by default for all the Apps and selectively open it up as necessary.

16. starkst
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

17. starkst
    Froyo Oct 27, 2014

starkst , Oct 27, 2014 :
    And there seems to be an app (App Ops) that you can install (on regular android) that will enable this functionality (I don't know if it works). It should be in stock android and, I think will be.
    Privacy Guard is one of my favorite cyanogenmod enhanced functionalities.

18. sandeepsubhash
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

sandeepsubhash , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I bought OPO about 15 days ago. And then set the privacy guard to work. Disabled all apps to get access to private data. The phone started crashing. Then enabled some like android UI etc to have access.
    Working fine now.
    Wanted to know how to disable access to wifi pwd?

19. Deactivated User
    Jul 28, 2015

20. everdefiant
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2016

everdefiant , Jan 28, 2016 :
    We have apps such as camera block and microphone block. Sound usefull. Why is it that the microphone block app keeps asking permission to record audio?