Procedure to Get the Pill-Shaped Home Button and Navigation Gestures for Android Pie in OnePlus 3/3T

1. RogerOriginals
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2019

RogerOriginals , Apr 21, 2019 :
    I have found out a workaround for enabling the pill-shaped home button and navigation gestures for the Pie version of OOS for OnePlus 3/3T. The bar stays even after restart, so it will be there until you manually disable it.

Things you need for this procedure:
    • A OnePlus 3/3T running Android Pie (Community Beta version of OOS only)
    • A working computer
    • Original OnePlus USB cable that came with your phone.
    • Internet connection
    • A basic knowledge of how navigation gestures work.
    NOTE: The command line codes shown here doesn't show up properly in the community app no matter how many methods I use, so open this thread on a computer via web browser (forums.oneplus.com) to see the codes properly, as you'll be using a computer to do this anyway.
    Caution:
    • Please understand that this might be risky for you, so if you don't know what you are doing, stay away from this.
    • If you update your software to stable OOS, disable it before updating the software.
    • This disables your hardware navigation buttons including the home button, so you either get software or hardware buttons, not both.
    • This procedure worked for me, but may not work for you.
    • This procedure is completely safe, but it might cause issues for incorrectly configured devices, so I am not responsible for anything that happens hereafter.
    • Read all steps carefully.
    Follow These Steps:

Step 1:
    Download ADB drivers for Windows PC from here.
    Step 2: Unzip the file into any folder in your computer. The unzipped folder will have the name 'platform-tools' and will contain a bunch of files in it.
    Step 3: Turn off on-screen navigation keys in your phone from button settings.
    Step 4: On your phone, go to Settings > About phone and keep tapping on 'Build number' until you unlock developer options (It'll ask for pin/pattern, enter it)
    Step 5: Go to Settings > System > Developer Options
    Step 6: Scroll down and find 'USB Debugging', turn it on.
    Step 7: Connect your phone to your computer via original OnePlus USB cable.
    Step 8: You'll get a prompt on your phone asking to allow USB debugging, tap on 'yes'.
    Step 9: Tap on your USB options (below USB debugging notification in notification bar) and select 'PTP'.
    Step 10: Browse to your downloaded folder in your computer from the first step, open it, move mouse cursor to an empty space there, hold 'Shift' on your keyboard while pressing right click button on your mouse.
    Step 11: Select 'Open command prompt here' or 'Open powershell here', whichever comes up in the menu on your computer.
    Step 12: In the black window that comes up, type the following code:
    Code:
    adb devices
    Step 13: Your device ID will come up in the screen. If it doesn't, try typing the commands again. If it still doesn't show anything, Google "My phone doesn't show up in adb" and research on how to do it.
    Step 14: Once your device ID shows up, in the next line, type the following code:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put secure swipe_up_to_switch_apps_enabled 1
    Step 15: Disconnect phone from USB.
    Step 16: Open up button settings and enable 'on-screen navigation bar'.
    Step 17: The pill-shaped button will show up now. It also supports gesture-navigation
    Step 18: To disable it and get back everything to normal, disable on-screen navigation buttons, follow the instructions mentioned in Steps 3 to 13 and after your device ID shows up in black window, type the following code:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put secure swipe_up_to_switch_apps_enabled 0

Screenshots:
    Screenshot_20190421-160809.jpg

Home Screen

Screenshot_20190421-160821.jpg
    App screen

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

2. athaarv
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2019

athaarv , Apr 21, 2019 :
    That's awesome. Do you know of a way to enable OnePlus's take on gesture navigation?

3. RogerOriginals
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 21, 2019

RogerOriginals , Apr 21, 2019 :
    No, not yet. The method I posted here enables Pixel style navigation only.

G_Dmitry_Glushko_CVji likes this.
  4. hiteshits
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2019

5. TwiceVice
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2019

TwiceVice , Apr 22, 2019 :
    конечно спасибо за информацию, но зачем наэкранные кнопки когда в телефоне есть физические?

6. RogerOriginals
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2019

RogerOriginals , Apr 22, 2019 :
    Some people have been demanding the new gestures for 3/T, so I posted one for those who need it. I personally disabled it right after posting this because I hate on-screen buttons on my 3T and prefer to use the hardware ones.

7. Pawan Sapkota
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2019

8. RogerOriginals

RogerOriginals , Apr 22, 2019 :
    I found it on XDA as a procedure to enable buttons on Pie beta for OP6, tried on my 3T, and it worked.

9. Pawan Sapkota
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2019

Pawan Sapkota , Apr 22, 2019 :
    yep it indeed works and has been using it since yesterday.

RogerOriginals likes this.
  10. G_SpEeDCubER__NiKa_jcqg
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2019

11. RogerOriginals

12. Vedant620
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2019

Vedant620 , Apr 23, 2019 :
    Hmmm that's weird, I'm quite curious why OP decided to not implement the pie gestures for the op3 pie beta. Hopefully it's just a temp issue and it'll be implemented properly in the final stable version

13. RogerOriginals

RogerOriginals , Apr 23, 2019 :
    Hopefully they will.

14. Suresh07

15. i.m.vvk
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2019

i.m.vvk , Apr 23, 2019 :
    You could try the navigation gestures app by XDA , it has similar OnePlus like gesture mode.

16. MALIKADNANAIM
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2019

17. RogerOriginals

18. MALIKADNANAIM
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2019

19. shinosky31
    Donut Apr 23, 2019

20. athaarv
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2019

athaarv , Apr 23, 2019 :
    It's fine. I found a way of enabling default Android Pie gestures by using an app

i.m.vvk likes this.