ProClip: Mount Your OnePlus One in Your Car

?

Would you be interested in purchasing a Proclip holder for the OnePlus One?

1. Yes. (Please contact ProClip to express your interest!)

84.3%
  2. No. (Why not: no need, too expensive, other?)

15.7%
  1. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

nickmurphyphotos , May 7, 2014 :
    UPDATE: Woohoo! The OnePlus One ProClip holders are finally here!
    Thanks so much to @johanvanmierlo for making this possible!

Original Post:

I created this thread for two reasons:
    1. I think many people could benefit learning about a product that I find really useful, and
    2. I want to enlist the OnePlus One forum community to try to convince ProClip to manufacture a custom mount for the OnePlus One.
    ProClip manufactures custom mounts for a huge range of devices and a large range of vehicles. Their system is comprised of two parts:
    1. A custom holder for your specific device, and
    2. A custom mount for your specific vehicle.
    [​IMG]

Together, it makes for a sleek, custom mount for your phone. I've been using it nearly two years now, with three different phones (and an iPod), and I highly recommend it. Here's how it works:

ProClip offers three main types of holders for most phones: a plain holder, a holder with a cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and a holder with a cord that you hard-wire into the car's electrical supply. For my car, I installed the hard-wired version. I was able to hide the cord in the air duct, so you can't even tell it has a wire.

[​IMG]
    From left to right: 1) plain holder 2) with cigarette lighter adapter 3) with hard-wired installation (12V)

For some phones, ProClip even makes mounts that fit a phone that has a specific case. For example, they make a mount for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in the Otterbox Defender case.

Now comes the part where y'all can help!

I e-mailed ProClip a few days ago to see if they might be able to make a custom holder for the OnePlus One:

I received this reply the following morning:

If you would be interested in having a custom holder for the OnePlus One, please e-mail them to express your interest. If they receive enough e-mails, perhaps they will make a custom mount for the OnePlus One!

I'm thinking about following up with them to see how many people need to be interested for them to consider making a custom mount. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

2. Elisha Siegelman
    Donut May 7, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , May 7, 2014 :
    Huh. Kinda cool, but I don't see myself using it. If many people like it on here, you can email them this link!:D

iomollie likes this.
  3. dosonzzz2
    Jelly Bean May 7, 2014

4. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

Reasons I like ProClip mounts so much:
    • The mounts are well built, solid, and look sleek in my car. It really looks custom.
    • The tilt-swivel mount allows me to adjust the mount to exactly the right angle.
    • The hard-wired charger delivers a good current (2A), and the cord is invisibly routed through the air duct in my Pontiac Vibe.
    • My phone is near the steering wheel, and is easily reachable and visible. It's great when using my phone to navigate somewhere.

5. johanvanmierlo
    Donut May 7, 2014

johanvanmierlo , May 7, 2014 :
    Well... let me joint his thread. If OnePlus One reaches out to me directly we might be able to look at developing a ProClip holder sooner.

Anyone with an invite left.

6. gr4z
    Eclair May 7, 2014

gr4z , May 7, 2014 :
    I would buy one - if I get an invite for a OPO. I have bought loads of holders from Brodit in the past. Currently have an active one for my Iphone.

7. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

Hi, Johan! Welcome to the OnePlus One forums! I'm excited to see that you might be interested in developing a mount for the OnePlus One.

As far as I know, right now the only way to get ahold of the OnePlus One is to be invited to purchase it. I would be happy to extend you an invitation once I receive one, but I'm not counting on getting it until later in June.

You might try contacting @Carl or @David S. to see if you might be able to get a device earlier. You can also find Carl on G+. David S. is also on G+.

8. johanvanmierlo
    Donut May 7, 2014

johanvanmierlo , May 7, 2014 :
    Hi Nick, Great and Thank you.

@Carl and @David S. I would like to get in touch with someone at OnePlus directly to discuss the opportunity for us at ProClip to develop a vehicle dock line for your OnePlus One device. We do have current customers reach out to us who are going to switch to the OnePlus One device and of course need to switch their custom device holder for a new one. Please let me know how we can proceed in this.

9. jostalli
    Eclair May 7, 2014

jostalli , May 7, 2014 :
    Had it for the Nexus 5 and pitched it. There are many better mounts. It's just mediocre

10. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

What didn't you like about it?

11. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

Carl and David should see your message since you tagged them, but you can also write directly on their profiles.

Edit: I just saw that you already did. :)

12. jostalli
    Eclair May 7, 2014

jostalli , May 7, 2014 :
    It's not really what I didn't like about it but what I liked better in other mounts. I have purchased about 8 different mounts as I'm in my car half of the day. What I settled on is a cheap sticky back like this one: . There are many of these so you can choose which mount you prefer. It works great.

elrayyes and nickmurphyphotos like this.
  13. jlemon8
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 7, 2014

jlemon8 , May 7, 2014 :
    If you guys are in need of a car mount, I highly recommend the kenu airframe. Its the most convenient, portable car mount there is. And its suitable for any car. No I am not a spokesperson.

nickmurphyphotos likes this.
  14. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

That does look like quite a handy mount for traveling. I may consider something like that, because I like the small size. However, I'm concerned that it might not work with a larger phone, like the OnePlus One.

15. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

That seems useful, and easy, but what I like best about the ProClip is that it has integrated charging, and it holds my phone securely while allowing it to be inserted and removed easily. But, I understand that not everyone wants the same features in a vehicle mount, so thank you for sharing alternatives.

16. jimberkas
    KitKat May 7, 2014

17. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 7, 2014

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

18. jostalli
    Eclair May 7, 2014

jostalli , May 7, 2014 :
    Who would want to add a metal plate to their phone just to use this mount?

19. jlemon8
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 7, 2014

jlemon8 , May 7, 2014 :
    It works. I use a bulky case with my nexus 5 and the kenu still has space to expand.

20. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 9, 2014

nickmurphyphotos , May 9, 2014 :
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to try it out. Hopefully, it will be great for traveling (I like that it turns into a stand with with the addition of a credit card).