Production Update (Jun-Aug)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Jul 2, 2014

Carl , Jul 2, 2014 :
    The difficulty and excitement of obtaining a phone has spawn all kinds of amazing theories and ideas. To add some data (and fuel) to all this, let’s talk about production for the coming two months. As some of you know, we will not be revealing exact figures for competitive reasons. However, I still want to give you a peek into how production is ramping up. Check out the graph (Global production) below.

junaugplan.jpg

To clarify, the shipments I am talking about from after today are estimations as everything in the early phases is subject to unforeseen hiccups. Additionally, it will take 1-2 weeks for produced devices to be ready for shipment. The devices that are currently shipping were made in mid June. Various small issues added up to a sizable delay. Some were situational, and some were our screw-ups. Delays caused by our screw-ups will decrease by time. :)

Also, just a note about the estimations that have been floating around. They are low. I’ve said it before, but a lot of you probably didn’t see it. The invites that have been won via contests only constitute a part of the total pool. Many early supporters or those with giveaway invites do not like the attention and have not publicly announced what they have, and understandably so.

We realize that nothing but shipping a buttload of phones will save us at this point. That’s what we aim to do. We understand that some do not have the luxury to wait for us to do so. No worries, you’re always welcome to check us out at a later time, or come back for a future product.

Lastly, I know some of you still have questions so I’ve tried to anticipate some and prepared answers. Here goes...

That sounds good, but being member x, when will I receive my invites?
    We’ve announced that early supporters will be prioritized in July. We don’t want to give any exact dates as they’ll be rolling these out on a continuous basis and may be different for each person. If someone doesn’t claim their invite, it will roll out to the next person. It’s normal to have 2-4 days of production and logistics delays. Once our supply starts matching our demand, we can keep a buffer of stock in our warehouses. At that time, more exact estimations will be possible to make.

Why don’t you just do pre-orders and simplify the purchasing process?
    The invite system was put in place to control the amount of customers we get. As this is our first time out of the gate, we need to iron out any issues with production, logistics or customer service before shipping on a large scale. Ultimately, the goal is to grow together with the customer base and avoid ending up with a bunch of customers for whom we cannot provide a great service.

Last month, we announced that we were working on a pre-order system. As soon as the system is fully developed and we have scaled up our operations to allow for a small buffer of stock, we’ll introduce this to users.

Look at the number of forum members, can’t you even produce enough for the forums?
    Consider these facts:
    1. Those with OnePlus accounts far outnumber active forum members. Your forum account will only be activated if you login to OnePlus Forums.
    2. There are an unknown amount of people interested in purchasing OnePlus products, who haven’t had the chance to sign up for the forums nor an account.
    3. Of all the forum members, a big portion are not in launch countries. Furthermore, it’s impossible that 100% of those in launch countries would purchase.
    4. OnePlus staff consists of people from many of the leading consumer electronics (and other) companies. We’ve never experienced similar demand before.
    Given these uncertainties, it’s not possible to accurately project demand, and as you know, excess inventory can easily mess up the cashflow and kill a hardware company. It is because of this that our early estimates were so conservative but we will be more aggressive moving forward.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

2. theacer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 2, 2014

theacer , Jul 2, 2014 :
    I'd like to point out that usually graphs have numbers associated with time. That being said, it's good to see OnePlus will be going up "some lines" over the months... or something.

luxuskamel, Aaahh, macem29 and 192 others like this.
  3. jase33
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014

4. Deepak
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014

5. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Jul 2, 2014

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

6. calvinux
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014

mayo1024, Yakoh, AgentTran and 299 others like this.
  7. Orbettino
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014

Orbettino , Jul 2, 2014 :
    wtf..

that's a no sense graph..
    what production it show (china, export or global?)

in china reseller buy stock of 100 phones

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

hemanth97, misher, cosmina and 38 others like this.
  8. volteon
    Lollipop Community Expert Jul 2, 2014

9. selveh
    Honeycomb Jul 2, 2014

10. b.duterme

b.duterme , Jul 2, 2014 :
    Thank you! @Jerry

11. miichael.lee
    Honeycomb Jul 2, 2014

12. Shuffler505
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014

Shuffler505 , Jul 2, 2014 :
    That's awesome to see such an increase in upcoming production. Thanks for the update :)

13. dcohr
    Eclair Jul 2, 2014

14. oscaruru
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2014

15. dcoun
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2014

dcoun , Jul 2, 2014 :
    Thanks for the update.... Again the "early supporter" is not defined. It should be a ghost!!!
    I will try to make it more "english understandable":
    In June they gave less than 5000 invites away.
    So, at the end of July they will provide about six times more = 30.000 but the first 5000 customers will have 15000 invites to sell or give, So only 15000 new "early supporters" will get their invite by the end of July.
    At the end of August, they will have produced 18 times more than June = 90000 pieces. But 45000 second generation customers (from the initial 5000 winners) and the 3x15000 invites given or sold by the 15000 "early supporters" will not allow an increase in invitations by their random forum giving invitation machine.... it will continue to be about ~50 invitation/day to support the forums....
    The above are conservative calculations having in mind several types of delay like shortage of parts, weekends, airplane crash, oppo revolution, etc
    I continue to be an OPO supporter, but as I can see, I will have it in my hands when it will not be a flagship killer, just a great phone in a great price, somewhere before OnePlus Two.
    So, OP, I think you should think again the 3 or 5 given invites to customers when you have so many people waiting in the forum. From the other side, you just created a great market on ebay and similar marketplaces....that economical universities started to study it....

tony1454, mayo1024, HughOSB and 83 others like this.
  16. simmac
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2014

17. Raul9b
    Honeycomb Jul 2, 2014

18. Toon10

19. ETTBJohanHermans
    Honeycomb Jul 2, 2014

robertp5072, uchi and crroc like this.
  20. Mark Joseph
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2014