Get on board with Ara?

1. Heck yeah!

76.9%
  2. Prolly not...

23.1%
  1. slaskis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2014

slaskis , Jun 8, 2014 :
    Phoneblocks are so overwhelmingly stupid. If you know even the slightest about electronics you would understand that something like that would never become a thing

ugvyfc likes this.
  2. Court Mejias

Court Mejias , Jun 8, 2014 :
    I think it has the potential to do it.

3. Abraham123
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2014

4. csukcc
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2014

csukcc , Jun 8, 2014 :
    It is not bad for companies at all, it is only bad for companies who don't make the hardware e.g. HTC, Apple and etc. For companies like Samsung I think it is still a market for them, they make a lot of the phone screens just means they need to distribute it to customers instead of selling million to a company who construct them as phones then sell to customers.

Tom Calmbacher likes this.
  5. FlexiPack
    Eclair Jun 8, 2014

FlexiPack , Jun 8, 2014 :
    I love the concept of Ara, but I'm unsure how it will work when it comes to updating software. Same for custom roms also, would it kill custom roms? You can't expect a dev to try a support every conceivable configuration of ARA parts (presuming that eventually there would be a large selection to choose from). How would the manufacturer of ARA update their phones with all the different configurations?

If they can get that sorted then I'd be interested. I'm also hoping it won't be long until flexible electronics is able to be mass produced (think graphene). Combined with the flexible displays that we're now seeing on the market and you have a truly flexible phone. Awesome!

6. Court Mejias

I actually think it will cost less to make. And I think this is the right way to go to make cheaper phones for consumers.

7. Court Mejias

I think the hardware won't be a problem. I think it will kinda stay the same cause of the main mother bored will control the android software. If anything there will have a be a added software feature that will update certain parts of the software to accommodate the swapping/upgradable parts.

8. Hasaan12
    Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2014

Hasaan12 , Jun 9, 2014 :
    As I was scrolling through the threads, I happened to past a thread comparing the OnePlus One to the Project ARA smartphone, or whatever you want to call it.

So here's my take on Project ARA as others may be different

This comparison is kind of unfair. I mean, your comparing apples to oranges. Its kinda of like comparing the First iPhone to the Moto Razr. You know the iPhone was, arguably, a revolution in mobile computing. If project ARA really lives up to the hype, then it wouldn't be like a competitor to the Gs5 or the M8 or the Z2 or the OPO, it would be a complete breakthrough. It would change the way companies unveil phones, instead of a new phone maybe they would show of some new hardware pieces.

Elisha Siegelman and Sonywalk like this.
  9. Xillra
    Froyo Jun 9, 2014

Xillra , Jun 9, 2014 :
    Why would they even compare the two? 1 of them is a prototype and the other is extremely hard to get, and has only been on the market for a few weeks.

10. xraysean
    Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2014

xraysean , Jun 9, 2014 :
    While I completely agree, as I'm sure most do, why couldn't this have gone in that thread?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

11. colemanv
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2014

colemanv , Jun 9, 2014 :
    I think it will be a breakthrough. But it will be slow to be adopted by all. I'd be afraid of accidentally hitting a modular piece off. But would love one! The customizability is exciting!

na5m and Hasaan12 like this.
  12. Hasaan12
    Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2014

Hasaan12 , Jun 9, 2014 :
    Great question, I originally wrote this in that thread but then I copied it onto this new thread so that people like you will be able to get to read it.

13. p51d007
    KitKat Jun 9, 2014

p51d007 , Jun 9, 2014 :
    I would assume, that there would be a thin back cover, that would come off the back of the device, to allow access to the modules, requiring the battery to be removed first.
    You'd be surprised the number of people I run into that think you can simply pull ELECTRONICS out of a circuit without first disconnecting the battery/power source. FET's and other static devices don't take to kindly, so I would hope if this prototype comes to market, to access the modules, the battery has to come out, and then some sort of lever twisted/pulled/released in sort of a ZIFF socket approach to let the modules come out.
    At least if I were doing it, I'd try to make it as idiot proof as possible....the problem is, once you idiot proof something, we go and invent better idiots ;)

UpTop likes this.
  14. virgil1981
    KitKat Jun 9, 2014

virgil1981 , Jun 9, 2014 :
    You can't compare the two. Opo is you basic cookie cutter phone. You get what everyone else gets while Ara you get what you want.

Hasaan12 likes this.
  15. srivasta
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2014

srivasta , Jun 9, 2014 :
    The other reason a comparison is unfair is that one is a research project, with curated PR pieces as information sources, and the other is a real product already in the hands of people, and has been certified as ap hone in multiple markets. Hye is easy. 60 years ago hype was promising us flying cars and nuvlear powere toasters

16. Hasaan12
    Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2014

Hasaan12 , Jun 9, 2014 :
    I see where your getting with that point however project ara isnt a research project, infact they have released a protoype

virgil1981 likes this.
  17. virgil1981
    KitKat Jun 9, 2014

Um Google has a working model. Watch the developers conference Google had like 6 weeks ago.

Hasaan12 likes this.
  18. na5m
    Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2014

na5m , Jun 9, 2014 :
    Im totally geeked about the Ara project! Ive been building my own computers for years now. I would love to be able to pick & chose the components of my phone.

19. virgil1981
    KitKat Jun 9, 2014

I wouldn't have smashed my phone to get an opo but I could honestly say I would smash the crap out of a opo if I get one and mail it to Pete and the rest of his team to get a project Ara in my hands.

Hasaan12 likes this.
  20. techwiz1897
    Honeycomb Jun 9, 2014