Project PUBG | In a world of games, why does PUBG take the cake?

1. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 20, 2019

YRJ , Aug 20, 2019 :
    20190821_024013_0002.png
    What game are you playing?

Hey Folks,
    Let's look back around 10 years from now, what comes to your mind when one says, 'Gaming' ?
    If you were in your prime, then it must be picture of you sitting in front of you PC or a gaming console!

However the situation today is quite different. Yes, PC's still exists they are powerful and can run almost any game ever made, no doubt.
    But the smartphones of today are so powerful that even the most graphically demanding games can run smoothly on them. Yes, it's not the biggest screen or the best experience but it will always be in your pocket! Gaming has never been easier.

Talking of games how can I not talk about PUBG?

Developed by Tencent Holdings Ltd. PUBG mobile was released back in March 2018
    PUBG might just be the most popular game in the world right now. Let aside other numbers it even took the top spot in @dsmonteiro 's thread, Vote for the Best App of the Month - March
    So the question stands, In a world of games, why does PUBG take the cake?

About a year ago, the psychological department of my college approached the science department, to jointly work on a research based project to find out what this whole PUBG drama mama is about.
    P.S. PUBG was a hot topic in India and it was a matter of concern for parents, educational institutions and the Government.

We definitely did not know what we are getting into but we were told that we would get points and internal marks, so why not?
    The idea was to talk to maximum number of PUBG players and understand what makes them go back to the game every single time. To understand the driving force behind PUBG's popularity. We initially set our goals that we would interview atleast 1000 players. But that was simply impossible due to limited resources and time. So we finally completed 600 instead.

In the planning phase, teams were breifed about the tasks and deadlines were set. Since all members cannot work together, we had fortnightly meetings to discuss the progress of the project.
    The team comprised of interviewers, writers, designers, reviewers and compilers.

So the interview process started from within the campus. Thankfully, PUBG players can be found in plenty. There was never a shortage of subjects to interview. :D
    I was lucky to be a part of the most interesting team, the interviewers. However, exhausting or continual the job was there was never a lack of variety. Every subject had a different story to tell. It was a wonderful experience.

Without further ado, here are the conculusions!

Q1. What games do you play apart from PUBG?

Ans: For this question I expected people to start naming every game from the play store/app store but to my surprise that wasn't really the case!
    One thing in common with PUBG mobile players is that their exposure to other games is minimal. They never get enough of it so there is no question of them dedicating time to another.
    We still managed to get few different answers, out of them it was found that EVOLAND 2 takes the 2nd place and Alto's Adventure took the 3rd spot.

Q2. How did you find out about this game and how long have you been playing this now?

Ans. It would be really difficult to reproduce the 600 responses, but to put it succinctly the most common response was that they found out about PUBG after watching the streamers play it live on YouTube. Other responses included recs from friends and peers.
    On being asked, how long they have been playing it now, the answer was 'ever since I knew about it'. The duration ranged from 8 months to about a month. However, the top answer was 5 months.

Q3. What feature of PUBG mobile do you like the most?

Ans. For this we were expecting answers like, Missions, easy controls and quality graphics. But the best feature according to users was, the ability to talk to their squad and 99 other players. It is also one of the features that make the gameplay enjoyable and engrossing. Ofcourse, graphic quality, easy gameplay, realistic sounds and weapons followed.

Q4. How many hours do you play PUBG, on a daily basis?

Ans. There were no predictions by the team, we were ready to be surprised and the answers did just that.

A user claimed to play 8 hours a day. An interviewer who was rather interested, aksed how he managed to do that? He said he used to bunk school and play PUBG with his friends who were in another city.
    Apart from this, users also quoted 3,5 and 6hours of gameplay.
    The team compiled the answers and on taking the average it was found that a user was spending roughly 4hours and 10 mins playing PUBG on a daily basis!

Q5. Do you remember of any PUBG mobile related stories that make you laugh, even today?

Ans:
    Q6. What's life without PUBG?
    Ans.

Dude chill,it's just a game!

There are way more wierder replies to this question. Alas, I can't put them all here.

I am sure that a majority of you won't make it up till here, it is a huge thread, indeed. Believe me this is just a small snippet of the bigger picture.
    The intention of this thread is to share the findings of the project that we took up.
    The year long process, involved a lot of effort from all the team members and each one played an important role in putting this together.

Here is what the psychological department had to say of the conclusions:

For those of you who are addicted and cannot quit, one of the teammates suggested this: https://forum.gamequitters.com/

Please note: All information in this thread is based on the 600 interviews that were collected and processed from late 2018. The given information is true to the best of my knowledge and free from bias. If you find any discrepancies, feel free to DM or comment down below.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop them in this thread. I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for reading!

Peace,
    YRJ

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019

2. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 21, 2019

Discostu , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing. The history / story of the games inception was rather unique! Had no idea this was the case.

I personally don't enjoy the game haha, it isn't my type of game and when I played it on my XOX I essentially died within a few moment of a match every time - multiplayer and shooters are not my strong point :)

I was late to the gaming world and my very first game I played was Forza 4 on Xbox 360. From that moment forward I became a bit of a gamer.

What was your first game or comes to mind when you think about gaming? Do you play PUBG?

3. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 21, 2019

YRJ , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Hey Discostu,
    I'm glad you liked it.

Same here. PUBG isn't my cup of tea either. I played it for around a month, the long gameplay times kept me occupied and when I felt that it was getting too much. I quit.
    It's a fun game but addictive too.

I was late to the gaming era as well, it all started when my dad got me a Mitashi Game IN. It was supposed to be connected to the TV and you had controllers and a gun. Then I got the PSP, which I loved. I had all the Grand Theft Auto games. It was fun while it lasted :D

Nope. I dont play PUBG neither do I see myself doing so anytime soon :p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 21, 2019

G_plusone , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Well done @YRJ :)
    This sounds like @camohan :D

5. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 21, 2019

6. Starcommander
    Jelly Bean Aug 21, 2019

Starcommander , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Nice thread @YRJ :D:D:D
    Jai Pubg :p:p:p

7. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 21, 2019

YRJ , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Lmaoo! :tearsofjoy:

Thanks though! :p

Q1563180106084 and Starcommander like this.
  8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 21, 2019

G_plusone , Aug 21, 2019 :
    Retro rocks :cool:
    :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

9. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 21, 2019

Drofidnas, Android450 and G_plusone like this.
  10. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 21, 2019

Android450 and luigimario like this.
  11. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2019

Discostu , Aug 22, 2019 :
    It's fascinating watching games like PUBG and Fortnight become so popular on mobile. I'd never have thought it would do so, I guess though there is an untapped casual (or not!) gamer market there - people who don't want the expense of a gaming PC nor to be tied into a console ecosystem that is updated every 6 or 7 years.

Mobile I guess is one that rolls along with time, getting a new phone doesn't require you to buy a new game and so on.

I think I'll stick to angry birds on my phone for now ;)

Android450 and YRJ like this.
  12. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2019

YRJ , Aug 22, 2019 :
    Exactly! that's a major reason why gaming has become so popular not to mention gaming smartphones.
    They are not as expensive as a gaming PC setup and it does more than a pc.
    Ha! And I'll sit here waiting for Yak & Co. To release Chapter 5 of their game, Agent A! :p

Discostu likes this.
  13. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member Aug 23, 2019

David Y. , Aug 23, 2019 :
    Well, it's actually the first mobile game that I played together with my wife, and that's why it is special.

She is a poor player in the game, that's the best part.

14. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2019

YRJ , Aug 23, 2019 :
    PUBG has a lot of good to it as well!

The best things has to be the various couples who found love playing this game.
    These are just 2 examples :D
    https://bit.ly/2L1Styc
    https://bit.ly/2P5yT9p
    And I'm happy that it's special for you!

But TBH, I love to play games in which I win. :tearsofjoy:

Themurtuza, TheRealGamer and David Y. like this.
  15. K1566562549211
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2019

YRJ likes this.
  16. Helder_DAlmeida
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2019

YRJ likes this.
  17. T1557824803182
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2019

T1557824803182 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    well, i am using oneplus 6 with 8GB Ram but i dont have an option of extreme FPS in Balance, HD and HDR Graphics. so what is the problem?

18. faisal.sidekick
    Froyo Aug 23, 2019

faisal.sidekick , Aug 23, 2019 :
    this is a very interesting thread. great research you have done out there. I myself am an avid player and quite addicted to it
    but recently haven't been finding much time to return to the game. hopefully will do soon!

YRJ likes this.
  19. G_Mukund_Badhe_tEXf
    Froyo Aug 23, 2019

G_Mukund_Badhe_tEXf , Aug 23, 2019 :
    pubg has many glitch still ,
    especially I hate the ping glitch as it forces the ping to remain at 964ms which as a result at times you get killed by a bot ,very sad truth of pubg is the hackers they are the worst
    they are like Superman and damn I hate them
    not every game is perfect but there are other arcade fps games too which are not like. pubg but a lot like fpp shooter games .
    in short the Moto comes true stay ahead of games and yes OnePlus has made us to stay ahead of games .
    thanks OnePlus .

20. manojgupta1992
    Froyo Aug 23, 2019

manojgupta1992 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    Excess of everything is bad. In modern world it's PubG, specially in India. Indians are playing PubG with dedication like it's their livelihood depends on it. They don't care that they are jobless or have exams to prepare. Really shameful.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019