OxygenOS Project Treble for OxygenOS ?

1. jo.airesm
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2017

jo.airesm , Sep 4, 2017 :
    Will OnePlus 5's Android 8.0 Oreo update integrate the project Treble architecture?

I read on Reddit (here) the project Treble architecture will separate the vendor's modifications on Android original ROM and the actual Android Core.

[​IMG]

This allows the AndroidOS be completely independent of OxygenOS and make the updates easy to maintain.
    Let's say that in the best scenario... we could have update support for the Oneplus 3/3t/5 directly from google forever.

Can anyone from Oneplus team comment on this?

Thanks folks!

2. varma246
    Lollipop Sep 4, 2017

varma246 , Sep 4, 2017 :
    AFAIK... It's only available for devices which are shipped(released) with Android O.

3. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Sep 4, 2017

dsmonteiro , Sep 4, 2017 :
    And a few (undisclosed) vendors are also getting help from Google to implement this on their already released flagship devices.

Bottom line, it's not up to OnePlus.

FlixbusLennart, otto2, adpro and 4 others like this.
  4. hubick
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2017

hubick , Sep 4, 2017 :
    Dear @dsmonteiro,

Why do you think Google would somehow not be willing to help every OEM who approaches them to help backport Treble to their device?

Searching for info about possible Treble support for my new OP5, I keep finding closed threads, with you stating it's "not up to OP", but I see you providing absolutely nothing to back up that assertion.

I expect money talks, and if OP wanted Google's help to do this, they could very much get it (for a price). Would OP spend the money to do that? Maybe if their customers are asking for it?

But, if every thread asking for it is closed and locked with a worthless explanation, that sends a strong signal that OP doesn't want to hear from customers (like me), and really makes me contemplate if I should return this device and buy one from a company who does.

5. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2017

AlexandreP , Sep 5, 2017 :
    I should add to @hubick reply that even though other vendors do get Google's help to implement Projet Treble, it does not mean other vendors could not implement Treble themselves without a hand from Google.

Unless I messed something, and Treble's implementation should be Google-approved?

xavipotau and hubick like this.
  6. Robertogl2
    Froyo Sep 6, 2017

Robertogl2 , Sep 6, 2017 :
    Treble has to be Google-approved, but any OEM can implement it and ask Google to approve their implementation. So if OnePlus want to give Treble to OnePlus 5 (or also to 3\3T) they can.

7. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Sep 7, 2017

AlexandreP , Sep 7, 2017 :
    Thanks for the clarification! :)

ninguem98 and jo.airesm like this.
  8. Nxss4
    Froyo Sep 10, 2017

jo.airesm and Guillo_von_Büren like this.
  9. F_Sriram_Jagannath_DPnJ
    Froyo Sep 11, 2017

10. Deactivated User
    Sep 11, 2017

11. jizang
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2017

jizang , Sep 11, 2017 :
    then email or tweet @ them...they won't do it here

12. Nxss4
    Froyo Sep 11, 2017

Nxss4 , Sep 11, 2017 :
    There are some water lillies on a lake. They grow at a rapid pace, in fact, every day the number of lillies increases by a 100%. After 379 days, the lake is finally fully covered. How many days did it take for half the lake to be covered?

13. jizang
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2017

jizang , Sep 11, 2017 :
    STOP IT..I'm the GAMEMASTER and no one ELSE ... :mad:

+ I'm DUMB and don't know the answer :p

14. Deactivated User
    Sep 12, 2017

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  15. jizang
    Lollipop Sep 12, 2017

jizang , Sep 12, 2017 :
    well done you, you smart alec :p

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  16. G_neo_x_YgGo
    Eclair Oct 16, 2017

G_neo_x_YgGo , Oct 16, 2017 :
    Guys,
    Everyone should be supporting this thread and should not be saying @OnePlus won't do it etc.
    How come you guys(against) are so sure @OnePlus won't support Treble for already released Devices without any official statement???
    AFAIK, officially @OnePlus said they would "keep an close eye on Project Treble".

So, let's wait for their official statement, especially after their spying incident they should give "Project Treble", to all devices from which they gathered the information, as a repay.

So, let's try to open a campaign if they don't!
    Because, it is 'us' who made them a "known brand", if they respect this fact they will agree.

Thanks!

17. maccelis
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2017

18. G_neo_x_YgGo
    Eclair Oct 16, 2017

19. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Oct 16, 2017

dsmonteiro , Oct 16, 2017 :
    Project Treble won't do anything to OnePlus One, 2 or X. Project Treble only matters to devices that are being actively supported. So adding Project Treble "to all devices" makes no sense.

https://www.xda-developers.com/project-treble-android-o-exist-flagship/

They clearly said “some companies” which is different than "every OEM". That being said there's little to no information regarding if OEMs can do it by themselves, but it doesn't seem to be a straightforward thing to do so I'm guessing with a comfortable degree of certainty that only OEMs that are helped will be able to implement this on older devices.

I haven't seen any official information to support those claims. Can you provide sources, please?

20. Robertogl2
    Froyo Oct 16, 2017