Proximity Sensor issue on the One plus 7 pro needs to be fixed

1. Basithpaykat
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2020

Basithpaykat , Apr 30, 2020 :
    The proximity problem has been very frustrating for who owns a OnePlus 7 pro phone,

like not being able to hear voice notes on WhatsApp,
    turning the display on and off during calls and accidentally puting it on speaker mode or video mode,

ok i get it, the phone is using a virtual proximity sensor and is placed under the display. but i dont get it why the company still didn't try to fix the problem since its more than one year now.

i tried to turn off tap to wake up mode, but still the same.
    so i believe company could fix this by softwares updates.

who else wants this to be fixed more than like anything now ?

2. Leo471
    Cupcake May 12, 2020

Leo471 , May 12, 2020 :
    I found a fix/workaround for this, it goes at follows:

1. Enable developer settings (go to build number, tap 7 times)
    2. Go to system -> developer options
    3. Go to "Quick settings developer tiles"
    4. Activate "Sensors Off"
    5. Check your Quick Settings, each time you listen to WhatsApp/Telegram audios you can easily deactivate the proximity sensor to avoid the issue

I've also made a short YouTube video where I show the five steps:

Swejuggalo likes this.
  3. Basithpaykat
    Cupcake May 15, 2020

Basithpaykat , May 15, 2020 :
    hey thanks for the reply. its a good workaround. but when you are in a call, the display will be on. so.

thats not what i was expecting, but still its a solution

i really hope OnePlus address this issue in their next update for the one plus 7 series.

i wonder if the 8 series also has this issue.

4. mariusmuntensky
    Froyo Jun 8, 2020

mariusmuntensky , Jun 8, 2020 :
    I have a brand new OP8 and the proximity sensor issues are here and it's not pretty. Very often screen goes live while in a call and I end up pressing things on it with my face. I wasn't expecting such basic functionality to be this bad.

R_EZ_I likes this.
  5. Samu2504
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2020

RandyManLB likes this.
  6. B1571877925732
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2020

B1571877925732 , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I'm also facing proximity sensor issue in one plus 7 pro, i have spend 58000 to purchase this phone, totally dissatisfied with one plus. Not preferring anyone to buy one plus.

7. RandyManLB
    Froyo Jul 14, 2020

RandyManLB , Jul 14, 2020 :
    Tempered Glass. Is that the cause?

8. Basithpaykat
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2020

Basithpaykat , Jul 23, 2020 :
    nothing at all. didn't use any screen guard

9. kashifnawaz85
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

kashifnawaz85 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Facing same issue with my 7T. This is my second after extremely good experience of OP5. But I'm ver disappointed by this issue of 7T. Probably my last OnePlus phone.

10. J1599655241294 , via OnePlus Community App , Sep 18, 2020 :
    I have 7t pro and im not facing this issue, as i keep my phone to my ear the screen automatically turns off. And as im done with the call and take phone away from ear it lights up the screen. Perfect.

11. artifex-canada
    Donut Oct 15, 2020 at 4:33 AM

artifex-canada , Oct 15, 2020 at 4:33 AM :
    My issue is that I can hear the proximity sensor. The OnePlus 7 series (I too have a Pro} uses a virtual proximity sensor (essentially software) from Elliptic Labs:

https://www.ellipticlabs.com/2019/0...eaner-design-to-oneplus-7-series-smartphones/

It uses the earphone speaker and generates ultrasound patterns around 21Khz, which is supposed to be above the range of human hearing. However, younger people (under 25) or those with sensitive hearing can detect these frequencies. Install any audio spectrum analyzer app and you'll see this constant noise at the above frequency. If you use the "sensors off" tile, that noise disappears.

It had been driving me nuts in my condo trying to find the source of that noise. I went so far as to shut off all power in my apartment to isolate the noise, but audio analyzers kept picking it up. It wasn't until I installed the app on a different phone and checked my OnePlus 7 Pro that I discovered it was the source of the high pitched noise. Sensors off confirmed it was the problem.

I too am still looking for a solution.

12. EnriqueF
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020 at 2:41 PM

EnriqueF , Oct 15, 2020 at 2:41 PM :
    Maybe I got here a little late but I have the solution for this and every other OnePlus facing this issue.

Go to play store and download an app called proximity sensor reset, follow the steps within the app and there you go. Reset your phone to apply those changes.

The problem was the sensor calibration, I don't know how that happens but it isn't a hardware issue.

13. Kiran_Kumar_T_Nayak_15
    Donut Oct 16, 2020 at 4:35 AM