0
[Submitted] punch hole camera black bar when I open google chrome in dark mode

  1. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2020

    KDASH95 , Jul 11, 2020 :
    1. Open Google Chrome in Dark mode.
    2. Close all tabs.
    3. Lower brightness to 5 to 10 percent.
    4. Look closely to the top notification icon panel along the right side of camera. A black bar is visible.


    Note: Same can be recreated with Display Tester app from Play Store.
    The steps in Display Tester :-
    1. Open Display Tester.
    2. Tap on Test tab.
    3. Open Defective pixel detection.
    4. Swipe left six times left to Dark Grey #333333.
    5. Lower brightness by swiping slowly down to 1%.
    6. Look closely to the top notification icon panel along the right side of camera. A black bar is visible.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020

    #1
  2. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2020


    #3
  3. Dipankar_verma , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jul 12, 2020 :


    KDASH95

    Phone can be replaced at service centers, but the issue may persist I guess, even with the replaced phone as many who have replaced claims so.

    Here is a link to an article which may help with display concerns: https://www.techquila.co.in/oneplus-8-pro-display-issues/?amp

    I am getting my phone replaced this week.​



    How much time dose it takes to get a phone replaced?
    i am so confused should i get it replaced ??
    like is this problem going to get worse over time???
     
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020

    #4
  4. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020

    KDASH95 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Replacement may take a day or few depending on availability of the stock( got to know from youtubers ).

    As per the case of worsening of the issue I don't have any info on it. But, it is a defect that is not going to go with updates I guess.


    I am not going to use a phone worth 50K+ where such display quality issue exist. Replacement is recommended by all who faced this issue.
     

    #5
  5. Dipankar_verma , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jul 12, 2020 :
    When did you recieve the product......how may days it has been till you received yr product?
     

    #6
  6. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020

  7. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020


    #8

  8. #9
  9. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

    KDASH95 , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Service center was telling me that they were not able to replace the phone as they got instructions from higher ups.

    Their claim was the black bar was intentionally done to optimise the quality of punch hole camera.
    1594893108285.jpg


    I told them that the online one plus support told me "They are sorry for the problem", which states that this black bar is not intentional and a real issue.

    They then claimed that the support people are not aware of it. And it will be fixed in coming update.

    So, here I go online and search for a fully functional OP 8 pro replaced phone with no issue and got a image of the phone as attached and send them.
    1594893108334.jpg


    They then told me they are talking with people at the back end and let me know later if it is possible to get it replaced.
     

    #10
  10. Dipankar_verma , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 16, 2020 :
    My device had more issues more then just black bar the screen showed uneven brightness ps 3 more issues i got it replaced today now it seems to only have black bar lets see if i see some other one ps i did some digging and most of the op8 pro devices have the black bar issue appox 90% i think and i think we can live with that like its not always visible if you only has black bar and u looking for getting it replaced i dont think it would be of any use.....if you really cant ignore that look for refund i guess otherwise the phone is a awesome in profermence
     

    #12
    KDASH95 likes this.
  11. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

    KDASH95 , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Ok, they listened to uneven brightness part? In my case they told me it is due to the punch hole camera circuitry. I also had a issue of burn in retention on the black bar which comes and goes and impossible to see in photos. The battery, WiFi and network indicators stayed burned in when I used in landscape mode. But, as it went away after a while. So, I ignored it.

    Let's see if there is any proper resolution in my case. As you said 90% of the user have the issue and the rest 10% are lucky I guess. I cannot go for a refund as I have various accessories of OP 8 pro that is from OP and other 3rd party vendors which cannot be returned.
     

    #13
  12. Dipankar_verma , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 16, 2020 :
    KDASH95

    Ok, they listened to uneven brightness part? In my case they told me it is due to the punch hole camera circuitry. I also had a issue of burn in retention on the black bar which comes and goes and impossible to see in photos. The battery, WiFi and network indicators stayed burned in when I used in landscape mode. But, as it went away after a while. So, I ignored it.

    Let's see if there is any proper resolution in my case. As you said 90% of the user have the issue and the rest 10% are lucky I guess. I cannot go for a refund as I have various accessories of OP 8 pro that is from OP and other 3rd party vendors which cannot be returned.



    The uneven brightness part well mine was very noticeable show me yours..... with that i really had so many issues
     

    #14
  13. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

    KDASH95 , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Lower part of phone is dimmer. This was at 10% brightness and if I went to 1% brightness in Google chrome it is more noticeable. Yes, your pic did seem noticeable. But, OP service center at my locality cannot give replacement for such reason sadly.
    1594910406408.jpg
     

    #15
  14. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

    KDASH95 , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 16, 2020 :
    OLED does have uneven brightness at lower levels. But, not the black bar. Now, there comes a argument that my phone looks worst than his/hers for the same model on the grounds of low brightness, but bear in mind the OP 8 pro screens are not calibrated for individual devices and hence the uneven brightness.
     

    #16

  15. #17
  16. KDASH95
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2020

    KDASH95 , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Samsung users does seems to face such similar issues in S20 Ultra also.

    Oneplus 8 pro display issues on Indian Unit.

    Fixed by OTA update I guess.
    But, Curved OLED screens are manufactured by Samsung for all phone manufacturers and issue arises in manufacturing process and manufacturing defect is very common in them.

    Check out the part where Carl discusses on displays with Marques in this Youtube video link:

    He talks about curved displays being more prone to error. What error is not specified.

    I am so confused myself:(, hardware or software issue? No, official statement from One Plus as of now.
     

    #18
  17. Dipankar_verma , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 17, 2020 :
    At time of replacement i asked for refund but they said it is not possible. black crush issue still exist when dc dimming is on ,black bar is there pretty much on every device ik it shouldn't effect that much but for a person like me who mostly use phone in ni8 its a big trade off...... i do have some third party acceceries yet i wish to get a refund...


    I think black bar is hardware rest are software

    List all issues you are facing...?
     

    #19

  18. #20