Push Notification Issues

1. Jebusfreek666
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

Jebusfreek666 , Aug 23, 2016 :
    No disrespect, but haven't you said the same thing in this and many other threads about the new iphone?

2. slyfoxop
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

slyfoxop , Aug 23, 2016 :
    You are correct. I am waiting to see what Apple and Google have to offer. As much as I am a fan of Apple I can no longer justify spending almost double the money for an iPhone when other phones can do most of the same functions.

OnePlus 3 is my first Android phone in 6 years. However, the software and customer service have greatly disappointed me. A good Nexus phone is the only other alternative that I see at this point. If not, I am willing to pay premium Apple price to have a smartphone with working basic functions (i.e., notifications, Do Not Disturb, scheduled night mode, security updates...)

3. weedee
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

weedee , Aug 23, 2016 :
    Sorry to disappoint you, with Nexus phones you just receive latest bugs, and fresh ones, too. This is *my* experience after using Nexus 5, Nexus 6, and Nexus 6P - and selling them because several apps are not correctly working on latest Android. Ok, the whitelist *is* working on Android 6 Nexus, so you can circumvent this notification bug easily.

For now, I try this remote session I agreed for tomorrow. When this is not successful, UPS will pick up the OP3 for repair, and I'll repeat this again and again, until these bugs are fixed. Meanwhile, I use my old and working Iphone 6 Plus, or a Xiaomi which I've ordered recently.

patrice58 likes this.
  4. tfn9531
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2016

tfn9531 , Aug 23, 2016 :
    Updated to 3.2.4 Oxygen last night & they said this would fix the push notification & sound issue, while I am now getting sound for normal messages, no push notifications coming through still (email, kik etc)

5. bjornflodin
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2016

bjornflodin , Aug 23, 2016 :
    Where have they stated that it would fix the push notifications?

6. seamus34
    Eclair Aug 23, 2016

seamus34 , Aug 23, 2016 :
    I havent been here in a while,hoping this push notification would get fixed .guess not.
    I forgot my password to login her,so i clicked reset password,etc.BUT NO EMAIL FROM THEM WITH MY NEW PASSWORD, anyway i had to go into my gmail and refresh if to get my email.WTF.
    As i said earlier in this thread,this problem needs to be highlighted on as many different forums and websites as possible.

7. slyfoxop
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

slyfoxop , Aug 23, 2016 :
    So does this mean that Android is indeed not as polished as iOS and it is better to stick with iPhone if you want a working phone rather than wasting time tweaking settings?

8. weedee
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

weedee , Aug 23, 2016 :
    I can't recommend neither, nor. I've sold my first 6 Plus last year, because Apple didn't get it managed to fix a pesky WLAN bug. On IOS9, this is much less annoying, so I've bought another one.

Here at Oneplus are many people with a user profile, which does not trigger several bugs, so they are fully satisfied using their 3. So one should have a look at his own phone usage, then decide which to buy.

9. Meandialone
    Eclair Aug 23, 2016

Meandialone , Aug 23, 2016 :
    I also updated yesterday to 3.2.4 Oxygen as the update seemed to only just now roll out to the UK. I had read of issues with this update, but with my notifications still only coming through mainly when I pick the phone up when I press the button after all this time that I have had this phone I was hoping that the update would improve things a little for me.

It hasn't improved, I am slightly worried that it may have even made some notifications even more delayed, but this I am not 100% sure at this moment, it may be just my mind playing games, worrying about it.

Please ONEPLUS, read this thread, see how serious this issue is, how damaging it is in such that you don't even know what this is actually costing you in lost sales potential. The community are waiting for you to at least respond or make an acknowledgement of the issue, but as far as I see you are leaving us in the dark.

Once again PLEASE sort this, please nod your head and say something to us.

F_Stefano_Merli_mXGn and JasonMR like this.
  10. weedee
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2016

weedee , Aug 24, 2016 :
    It has been explained previous in this thread, that the doze mode in OxygenOS works, as intended by Google. With upcoming Android 7 this will go worse, after reading this:
    Which means, all we really need is a working white list for apps, which are still not compatible with doze mode. Other companies (those "no problems with notifications") just did not implement this mode into their version of Android 6. In future, Google may force them to make this work when they want a certified device.

Have a nice day.

11. playya
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2016

playya , Aug 24, 2016 :
    I understand everyones issue in here as I have the same and hope with 7.0 this issue is fixed but to be honest a simple adb fix cures it all and you can proceed with life as expected. Yes I know you should not have to do this but honestly ts a lot faster than the constant posts and complaints we keep making. I rarely reboot and for rooted phones you can have the script run for you every time you reboot. Yes I have it on my S7 my Note 7 and my 1+3 so I hope a fix is soon but until then the workaround is fine for me

12. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2016

Adipekar , Aug 24, 2016 :
    Are you guys flashing the community build of OOS 3.5? I'm giving it a go now to see if they made some changes to their Doze mode implementation.

difference1891 likes this.
  13. weedee
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2016

weedee , Aug 24, 2016 :
    Ok, thank you for pointing my (our) attention onto this build. But why should one test an early OS version, while already fighting with present bugs?

14. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2016

Adipekar , Aug 24, 2016 :
    Well, I'm testing it to see if I can have stock camera with working push notifications.

Besides the push notifications issue, OOS has been good to me, I didn't encounter other bugs like random reboots and random battery drains and other stuff. So I'm running it now and will see if this issue in particular is fixed or not. Let's see.

15. HellbillyDeluxe
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2016

16. Jebusfreek666
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2016

Jebusfreek666 , Aug 25, 2016 :
    Was wondering this myself, although I doubt it. Can't imagine the figured out a different way to work with doze just for a community build.

I did want to ask about something though. Last night I rooted, and installed xposed. I am still on OOS, just wanted to be able to add things like pie controls. But ever since I did this, all my notifications have been coming through right away. Not sure what I did, just followed the guide in the development section on this message board (sorry, noob to this. It was my first time rooting.) I had also thought I was going to have to do the ADB fix again after because of all the reboots, but it is still going strong today. I have not attempted to set a timer to see if that works, but if my Gmail is coming through I don't see why the timer wouldn't also work. I'm sure I just overlooked something, and this is actually an expected behavior. But I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Now if I could just get the YouTube Music app to play in the background or with the screen off without paying for Red, I would be in business.

17. difference1891
    Gingerbread Aug 25, 2016

difference1891 , Aug 25, 2016 :
    I also rooted so that I could go back to 3.2.2. After that I created a script that runs after each reboot. It disables Doze. :)

18. manototh
    Donut Aug 26, 2016

manototh , Aug 26, 2016 :
    Hello,

I had the same issue on OP2 (stock 3.0.2) and the adb workaround fixed it for me. As my phone is not rooted and I abide by the "a reboot a day keeps the lag away" mantra, I had to run the adb command every day and I found it annoying. So I came up with a little trick which enables you to run the script that disables Doze from your phone's shell even if it is not rooted. There is no need to connect to your computer and run adb anymore. Here is how it works:

1. First, enable the installation of apks from unknown sources and install this:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=67395775473623742142

This is basically identical to the SH Script Runner app. The only modification is that I added a line to AndroidManifest.xml that requests permission to DUMP which is necessary to run the script that disables Doze.

2. Now run the following command from adb.

adb -d shell pm grant com.adamioan.scriptrunner android.permission.DUMP

This is the only time you need to use adb for this workaround. This basically gives permission to the app to DUMP.

3. Now download this script, load it and run it in SH Script Runner:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=11441515523468914556

You should see the message "Idle mode disabled" which means that Doze is off. This script is just the shell command mentioned earlier on this forum.

4. In Play Store, disable the auto-update of SH Script Runner. I think this is necessary because the modified permissions might be wiped out by an update.

5. When you reboot your device, you only need to open SH Script Runner and run the script again.

I am really new to coding so please forgive me for this "dirty" workaround. I know it is not a very elegant solution, but at least it works. I hope it may be of use to some of you.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

19. JasonMR
    Lollipop Aug 26, 2016

JasonMR , Aug 26, 2016 :
    Wow this could be really helpful, I'll take a good look at this over the weekend.

20. Kragbell
    Eclair Aug 26, 2016

Kragbell , Aug 26, 2016 :
    Please come back and let us know how reliable / safe this is. I barely understand a word of it but will use it if it means I can reboot regularly without having to connect to PC to disable doze.

Cheers - Andy