Push Notification Issues

1. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2016

MarkusRanz , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Whatsapp Works for me without the fix, without PNF and without disabling batteryoptimization aslong as i have it Running in backround. Maybe there will be an issue on mobile becasue I was at home today but on wifi it seems to work.
    Other pushnotifications for Example a goal ticker for football don't work, only show messages when I awake the phone with power button.
    I have now disabled doze with the temp fix, I will charge it up and then see how it behaves...what is with the optimization settings and pnf should I move back to stock settings or should I also use it.

Is it someway possible to use the adb commands from the phone itself or is a USB connection neccesary?

2. Spliffman
    KitKat Jun 26, 2016

Spliffman , Jun 26, 2016 :
    OK thanks, I always used greenify on my OP2, and I have it on the OP3 now, but it's non root mode, so I'm limited , I am still running completely stock, like a quantum leap for me:D, I am a flashaholic. I'm just seeing how the OP3 on stock OOS performs, so far it's way way better than the OP2 was out of the box. So far in am getting my messages and notifications when it's sleeping.

3. snafu_
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2016

snafu_ , Jun 26, 2016 :
    OK, sounds like it is working for you. However - can you tell us that in the above test the phone was NOT on a charger? As it's been mentioned in this thread that the doze will not exhibit this issue when the phone is charging.

4. Spliffman
    KitKat Jun 26, 2016

What is? The push notification iissue? I wasn't sure what you meant

5. Spliffman
    KitKat Jun 26, 2016

Yes, it was not on a charger, I did it overnight not on charger and received messages, email etc, etc. Then someone said maybe because it was there all night I may have received them but they may have been delayed because I checked the phone in the morning, so I did a real time test, left my phone off charger and dozing, and sent myself emails from my laptop and whatsapp (from another phone) and everything cane through. Now someone else has said that maybe on wifi it's not an issue, only on cellular data. I was on wifi when I tested, so I can't speak to that. But during the week I'll see for sure, because I am on the road a lot away from wifi and get a lot of whatsapp and emails. I will know if something is wrong.

6. Spelt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2016

Spelt , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Would check to make sure OP3 Notification slider is not on Silent or Priority position. That can cause notifications to not come thru when they should. Nothing to do with dose. My own notifications come thru fine and have been using doze since I got the phone.

7. thomasjkok
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2016

thomasjkok , Jun 27, 2016 :
    I'm having these exact same problems as well, which present themselves rather annoyingly when attempting to use web.whatsapp.com. I have noticed another issue that I think ties in with the Doze issue. For music, I use a bluetooth headset connected to my OP3 and for streaming music I use Deezer.

All works perfectly normal, as long as I do not lock the screen. As soon as I do, the music continues to play for as much as it has buffered, but after that it just freezes/hangs and I have to wake the phone. It then resumes on its own. The same seems to happen with Google Music.

So, for me at least, the problem isn't isolated to just notifications. I am currently running MM6.0.1 and OOS3.1.2

I have not yet been able to test the ADB fix graciously provided by Graham, I probably will tomorrow. I'll get back with the results a.s.a.p.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. Guido4711
    Donut Jun 27, 2016

Guido4711 , Jun 27, 2016 :
    Yeah you probably have a special edition of the OPO3

9. Guido4711
    Donut Jun 27, 2016

Guido4711 , Jun 27, 2016 :
    Exactly the same here with the app "Tor alarm". After doing thd ADB Fix it works like before. Push Notification came immediatly.

10. Aaddron
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2016

Aaddron , Jun 27, 2016 :
    Similar here with youtube red, listening to a podcast with the screen off and it'll play fine for maybe 10 minutes at best an then just cuts out until I wake the screen, youtube complains of lost connection and then resume it again. My wifi is rock solid with screen on. Keep wifi connection is on.

Also having the notification issues. Hoping it's all related.

11. Graham Robertson
    Jun 27, 2016

12. Graham Robertson
    Jun 27, 2016

Graham Robertson , Jun 27, 2016 :
    It is...

13. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2016

Adipekar , Jun 27, 2016 :
    After living with disabled Doze completely, I tried again a fresh start with the OOS33.1.3 stock ROM, using the Qualcomm recovery tool for a complete reset. Just set up essential apps like Inbox, Gmail, WhatsApp and some others. No root, no Greenify or whatever.
    Same problem all the time on WiFi and mobile, home or office.

14. Graham Robertson
    Jun 27, 2016

This issue is a serious one, I mean, a "Smartphone" that has delayed, or no push notifications whilst the screen is off, is a disaster,
    and certainly is no "Smartphone".
    My "adb disable temporary fix" is just that,
    a temporary fix, to keep things running
    and push notifications coming in on the phone
    whilst OnePlus address the issue. This now has been going on far too long,
    as the same problem exists on the OP2 running OOS 3.0.2, I can only come
    to one conclusion with regard to the attitude of OnePlus regarding this issue,
    They don't care.

Guido4711 and Adipekar like this.
  15. inffy
    KitKat Jun 27, 2016

inffy , Jun 27, 2016 :
    Well there are lot of other aspects than just "fixin it". The update needs to be tested, it needs to pass googles certification, and only after these you can think about pushing the OTA out.

16. Graham Robertson
    Jun 27, 2016

Agreed, but the OP2 has the same issue, since OOS 3....
    Plenty of time to patch, certify, and push out, OTA.
    but nothing.. and even worse, OnePlus don't even
    acknowledge the problem exists.

Guido4711 and Adipekar like this.
  17. Pr0metheus2
    Donut Jun 27, 2016

Pr0metheus2 , Jun 27, 2016 :
    I had problem with notifications in Signal messenger, and found out that this issue started when I restored from backup via Titanium Backup.
    So I deleted app and installed directly from Play Store. At first run, the app re-registered with server and since than, notifications works all the time.

Spliffman likes this.
  18. Graham Robertson
    Jun 27, 2016

This problem has existed since OOS 3... on the OP2, it affects push notifications from,
    Gmail, FB, FBLite, FBMessenger, and a lot of other Push notification enabled apps.
    it makes no difference if you do a clean install, without reinstalling a backup,
    or doing a "Dirty Flash". It also makes no difference if you do a clean install,
    and set the phone up as a "New Device" in Google,
    (so no apps will be reinstalled from a google cloud backup).
    Clearly, doze mode in both the OP2 and the OP3 is stopping the GCM Service
    from receiving it's heartbeat, therefore, delaying these apps push notifications
    coming through to the phone.
    there is no If, or But to this, this is a fact,
    and it needs to be fixed.

m1tch3m and Adipekar like this.
  19. Spliffman
    KitKat Jun 27, 2016

Spliffman , Jun 27, 2016 :
    It seems certain that it is happening to you, I can reaffirm though that it is not happening to me on my OP3. I was not on Oxygen for very long on my OP2, I quickly went to OOS based roms, like Skydragon, Oxyslim, then I went to CM13 and RR. I don't remember the problem at all with my OP2, but then again I left OOS at around 2.2.1 or something like that. I've only had my OP3 for 4 days, and I will continue to monitor this issue, but I have tried to recreate the problem and cannot on my phone. It definitely receives notifications, whatsapp and emails in Doze, because once again overnight I had the normal alert emails I get from Google, and spam emails from this shopping site, all seem to have arrived at the normal time too, not delayed. I'm loving my special edition.:p Well today will be my first full workday. Where the phone spends a lot of time sleeping in my holster, so if there is a problem, today will be the day to really show it.

20. kandan26
    Froyo Jun 27, 2016