Push Notification Issues

1. witalit
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

witalit , Jun 19, 2016 :
    This is bad news so people are not getting notifications for Whatsapp even when they are using the phone? Or just when they sleep?

2. qvert
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

qvert , Jun 19, 2016 :
    when the screen is on its no problem
    but as soon as the phone idles a few minutes you get the problem

Nudelholz likes this.
  3. Nudelholz
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Nudelholz , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Thats what happens while the phone is idle for a longer time (see attachment).

GCM is Handling push Notifications and it loses connection by failing a heartbeat and not reconnecting again.

I already put whatsapp in the list of apps that are not included in doze and it didn't help anything.

You can check your GCM Status with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer

Root is not necessary for that. Under "tools" go to "Play services monitor" and in the next screen Press "Events" in the top right corner. You'll see your GCM Stats, if GCM does not work correctly your push Notifications are Broken.

Attached Files:

4. Ricci
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

Ricci , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Yes thats Big Problem with Push Notifications! I have same Problem.

5. OneplusMike64
    Eclair Jun 19, 2016

OneplusMike64 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    I have a notifications problem when the phone is in doze for a few minutes, will not get notifications from Gmail and youtube (and probably whatsapp too). If the phone was just recently on, it will send notifications.

Phone not rooted, added gmail and youtube to the battery exclusions , that didnt help either.

This is a Big problem for me, my old 112 Euro Oppo works perfectly. As it stands, this is not acceptable and if its not solved in the 15 day period the phone is going back.

6. qvert
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

qvert , Jun 19, 2016 :
    opened a ticket for this with op, let's see what the official answer is

7. abhilashnazar
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

abhilashnazar , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Same issue here... Not getting whatsapp notificiations until I open the app.
    And also for the last 3 days I have been putting my apps to update before going to sleep. only 3-4 gets updated and when I woke up in the morning the playstore gives an error "error : enable backgroud data" eventhough background data is not restricted. I'm guessing the wifi is going to sleep after few minutes of getting the screen locked.

8. jizang
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2016

9. qvert
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

10. Bjarn
    Eclair Jun 19, 2016

Bjarn , Jun 19, 2016 :
    It seems like PNF fixed it, even the non root version works. Will monitor it.

11. Nudelholz
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Nudelholz , Jun 19, 2016 :
    PNF wasn't able to fix it for me. The phone still loses GCM connection while in doze.

12. qvert
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2016

qvert , Jun 19, 2016 :
    seems i found a solution
    i disabled IPv6 in my router

working now

13. shrijith1
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

shrijith1 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Okay, I also seem to have this issue. It doesn't happen straight away on turning the screen off. Not sure how much time it takes. I was searching for it and stumbled upon a similar thread for Oneplus 2. Please check the workaround mentioned in Post# 29. Pasting below -
    In addition to disabling battery optimisation for all the push notification apps that you are using,
    Go > Settings > Sound and Notification > App Notifications, then find the app that has the delayed notification,
    and change the priority from Normal to Priority.
    Repeat this for all your Messenger and email and push notification enabled apps.
    this will fix this bug.

14. lampisd
    Eclair Jun 19, 2016

lampisd , Jun 19, 2016 :
    so with this settings the notifications work well?

15. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Adipekar , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Same problems here on the OP3. I've tried taking the impacted apps out of Battery Optimization which didn't help. I also set notifications for affected apps to be treated as priority, didn't work either. I'm currently trying PNF(no root) and will see if it helps but it seems to my like either an Oxygen problem or Android's Doze overall because there are threads on Google's Developers forums with thousands of posts about this.

16. OneplusMike64
    Eclair Jun 19, 2016

17. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

18. Aphex
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Aphex , Jun 19, 2016 :
    It seems like a lot of people are suffering this bug. Interestingly though, everything's OK with my nexus 6.

19. TrueBrush
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2016

TrueBrush , Jun 19, 2016 :
    MKBHD used the phone for 2 weeks and didn't say about it. This is a huge problem if it's true.

20. Adipekar
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Adipekar , Jun 19, 2016 :
    It was also happening on my OP2 on Oxygen and CM13. It would be really helpful if OnePlus or Google would finally adress this issue, since it's a large number of people impacted by this.