Push Notification Issues

1. chris4497
    Eclair Aug 6, 2016

chris4497 , Aug 6, 2016 :
    Well you'll sleep soundly as you won't get woken by notifications from your OP3 or by any alarm you set on it ;)

Spliffman likes this.
  2. chrisinthesun
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2016

chrisinthesun , Aug 6, 2016 :
    OK - so after weeks of WA working just fine even during doze; Today phone was sitting on the table for a few hours, my wife was out and WA'd me. She says her message only showed a single tick (sent but not delivered). I only got the message when I opened my phone cover after she was back........

3. Spliffman
    KitKat Aug 6, 2016

Spliffman , Aug 6, 2016 :
    LOL

4. playya
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2016

playya , Aug 6, 2016 :
    Oh my god guy you gotta learn to get to the point in 200 words or less. Damn your Twitter account must be be a problem for you... lol

Just kidding (but serious) guys this is not just on OPO as I own a S7 same crap. Also people who complain about the thread too big ya know there is a search function or maybe just read back a few pages at the least.

5. Jebusfreek666
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2016

Jebusfreek666 , Aug 7, 2016 :
    Just popped back in after a little hiatus to see if this had been rectified yet. Sad to see we are in the exact same spot we were in a month and a half ago. Almost 100 pages in this thread, no update from OP about the progress of fixing this issue, and several more angry customers added every day. If this was some little issue, I would understand them blowing everyone off. But this is a huge issue, and my end up being something that tarnishes their brand for the future.

weedee likes this.
  6. difference1891
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2016

difference1891 , Aug 7, 2016 :
    The only workaround working is disabling Doze.

7. dz3n
    Eclair Aug 7, 2016

dz3n , Aug 7, 2016 :
    So, what OnePlus says about this? Apparently there is still bad experience with 3.2.2 too

8. m.abhirup
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2016

m.abhirup , Aug 8, 2016 :
    Nothing. :(

9. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Aug 8, 2016

harlekinwashere , Aug 8, 2016 :
    I move whatever reputation I have in this thread against "it happens on my Nexus, S7 ... as well" postings. From where I am sitting those are just inducing uncertainty by playing with the fact that you can actively hide issues by adding a little confusion. Those claims never are backed up by actual source links for example.

Most people dont want to bother with intricacies, so you have to reduce a complex issue down to 140 characters, which then allows people to confuse it with something else and the issue gets burried quickly, if that happens. If you have ever read public debate strategy guidlines, this is how you stop progress in self organizing plattforms. Literally.

Here is the issue - some delays (up to 10 minutes at most) are expected, by the way doze works. Google does this to save you battery life. At the same time, Doze has a system in play, that lets priority messages come through instantly and always. What a "priority message" is, has to be defined by app developers themselves.

On the Oneplus 3 both of those systems are currently broken.

On your Nexus, S7 and so on they are (most likely) not.

As a result, we see all kinds of priority messages failing to come in "in real time" and we see delays of much more than 10 minutes on all other messages. Yesterday, just before I went to sleep I got a mail notification 43 minutes too late.

None of this is how the Android messaging delivery system (GCM) should work, conceptually (you can read googles feature documentation, Ive linked the files in here before) - and I highly doubt, that people experience those issues on any other phone today.

If you get a "lesser" notification up to 10 minutes late, this is by design, if you get it 20, 30, 40 or 240 minutes late - it is not.

If you get a "lesser" notification up to 10 minutes late, this is by design, if you get a high priority message (like an alarm or an instant message, or a VOIP call notification) even 5 seconds later than it arrives, it is not.

On the Oneplus 3 we currently dont even get alarms, all instant messages or VOIP call notifications in time. Not until Oneplus "fixes" them - one app at a time. This is not normal phone behavior, this is not how Android is supposed to work.

Some people actively use those important differences in notification profiles ("bug or feature") to burry the issue by proclaiming that other phones have it as well. To my knowledge they dont. At all.

And even if they did, none of this can be considered normal, or even acceptable behavior in any case, because you ruin the functionality of the phone and render entire app categories entirely useless. So fix it.

(If you are a Oneplus "official" and think you can blame it on something outside your realm of responsibility, do it. If you do it publicly, at least that leaves us with more than just Oneplus ignoring the issue for the better part of a month right now. We can work with anything that isnt the company actively ignoring the phones problems.)

And I actually have a pretty killer argument to back it up. Whe had two reports in here that if you install CM on the Oneplus 3, the issues go away. Entirely.

CM at the moment isnt in a stage it can be considered a daily driver, and might not be for a long time - so yeah dont shout "install another - unsupported firmware, the manufacturer hasnt ruined" quite yet.

As a proactive statement against people who want their news in 140 characters or less, you cant have it your way. Issues get dilluted by shortening the message, so I wont play that game anytime soon.

Oneplus still is silent on the whole thing.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

AcmE85 and tbone03 like this.
  10. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Aug 8, 2016

harlekinwashere , Aug 8, 2016 :
    Also, at this point, where are the "oh so independent" moderators in this forum right now, that in the past only showed up to squash issue reports in the 24 hours after a firmware release -

at this point we try to establish a channel of communication.

You could help.

If you really are working for customer interests, dont hide around the corner, claiming to be "good guys". Do something. Show us some support.

You stated before that you are actively monitoring this thread, so you should read this.

11. TheFifeFlyer
    Froyo Aug 8, 2016

TheFifeFlyer , Aug 8, 2016 :
    Who really gives a toss what you say.

You`re nothing but an attention seeker who thinks he`s the big 'I am'

12. Guido4711
    Donut Aug 8, 2016

Guido4711 , Aug 8, 2016 :
    It works perfect for my Nexus 5x AND my wifes Motorola MotoX 2nd. So it seems someone allready fixed it! Only my OP3 makes propblems here!

AcmE85 likes this.
  13. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 8, 2016

AcmE85 , Aug 8, 2016 :
    So a user who tells the truth is seeking attention. What does your response make you?

Exactly! This is not a google issue. I did numerous tests with my old OPO and my new OP3 lying next to each other on my desk. Same wifi connection, same deep sleep duration. GMail pushes instantly on the OPO running cm13, it does not on the OP3 though. After wating 30 more minures I gave up. The mail came in about 10 seconds after lighting up the display on my op3.

People who see these kind of issues on other devices seem to mix it up with network issues. Samsung phones renownedly don't play well with wifi ip6 networks. Some routers do not support ARP-Offloading, which can also cause delays. But this OP3 issue happens on wifi AND mobile data.

Guido4711 and weedee like this.
  14. damiandd
    Honeycomb Aug 8, 2016

damiandd , Aug 8, 2016 :
    So if your saying Android Google problem ..well I'm using a Nexus 5x & 6p ..and a HTC 10 ..I use the op3 & the 6p ...my wife use the HTC 10 & the 5x ....on my Nexus s phone I get all the notification on time even if it on doze mode ...even on the HTC 10 ...all notification work s perfectly fine ...only on OnePlus 3 what ever I do I don't get any notification after doze ...so pls explain it ...even my brother using an Motorola moto x ..that's also work s with doze ...so pls explain why only on OnePlus 3 it doesn't work ????

AcmE85 likes this.
  15. Agosh
    Donut Aug 8, 2016

Agosh , Aug 8, 2016 :
    In my opinion, starting from version 3.2.2, this problem is worsened.
    If you want to try, use hangout.
    Turn off the screen with every kind of optimization disabled then ask to a friend to write you via hangout, your phone won't receive the notifications.

Unexist likes this.
  16. Unexist
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2016

Unexist , Aug 8, 2016 :
    Wow, thankfully I found this thread. I thought this issue should have been fixed with 3.2.2 but seems like I have been lied. I think you are right @Agosh by saying this issue became even worse because I have delays with WhatsApp about 40-50 minutes. At first I didn't realize the delay but after being in a family WhatsApp group while my wife getting constant alerts, my phone just acts like a brick. Nothing. Even worse with mail. It takes up to a few hours for the notification.

I guess I will take a break from OnePlus in the future - I am bored by all those issues.
    Well, at least I have a Galaxy S7 Edge which is used now instead of my 'brick'. But there are a lot of ppl out there who can't simply switch phones because they don't have.

17. robbiegast
    Honeycomb Aug 8, 2016

Attached Files:

18. lparcshinoda
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2016

lparcshinoda , Aug 8, 2016 :
    my nexus 5 with stock google shows the SAME behaviour. So this is a Google problem with stock android OR there is some app (I use the same) that I use that causes the same problem. In both cases this is not strictly related to Oxygen OS (in MY case scenario).

19. lparcshinoda
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2016

lparcshinoda , Aug 8, 2016 :
    this is related to the broom icon in recent apps. Stop using is or lock android wear app in the recents screen to avoid AW services getting killed by OOS

20. bulletmark
    Honeycomb Aug 9, 2016

bulletmark , Aug 9, 2016 :
    Yes, but again this really is a bug in OOS. Why the heck would OP but that broom option in the recents menu when all it does is break fundamental things? It is a dangerous option which should not be there. I am unsure whether the OP software team is up to the job frankly. They are making changes and additions to Android in areas they don't seem to fully understand which is in essence what @harlekinwashere is getting at. This is a team that simply deleted the nice stock Android DND functionality rather than accommodate it to the slider and also didn't consider the import of previous schedule settings. None of them noticed the serious "pocket problem" all through their testing. They added NFC to the quick settings in v3.2.2 but called it "Nfc"! There are a few other subtle issues I notice which would be easy to fix and it amazes me that the OP3 team who are likely using the phone more than me each day but have not fixed them yet.