push notifications not working on many apps and issue with Truecaller

1. J1527140365700
    Donut Jul 2, 2018

J1527140365700 , Jul 2, 2018 :
    Hi,

I am facing a lot of issue regarding push notifications. It seems like the OP6 does not support it. Having trouble in getting notifications from apps like Outlook, Orahi and more. I have missed a lot of important emails and notifications.

Also, Truecaller is not supported. Now which Android phone does not support such a widely used app.

Pls fix. You can't be a flagship killer of you don't have the basics right.

E1532066819846 likes this.
  2. Prcko
    KitKat Jul 2, 2018

Prcko , Jul 2, 2018 :
    it's first time when you don't get notification? it's starts after update? do you use battery saver?

3. J1527140365700
    Donut Jul 2, 2018

4. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 2, 2018

Liehjan , Jul 2, 2018 :
    Don't know why you don't get any notifications from Outlook, but truecaller app has a LOT of issues on Oreo devices (not only oneplus devices, all oreo)

ngydat likes this.
  5. SagaBalas
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2018

6. J1527140365700
    Donut Jul 10, 2018

J1527140365700 , Jul 10, 2018 :
    Hi all, I have managed to resolve the issues myself. Just wanted to share with you all, so that you may also have it working for you.

You just need to change the battery optimization setting for any app, where you face this issue. Works for Truecaller as well.

Go to settings-- Battery -- Battery Optimization-- select app and turn off optimization.

Hope this helps.

7. RUPAM2110
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2018

RUPAM2110 , Jul 10, 2018 :
    notification for most of the app's especially WhatsApp doesnot work most of the time.is that a bug.oneplus plz fix this.its very annoying.

8. SanketPhafat
    Donut Jul 10, 2018

9. E1532066819846
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2018

E1532066819846 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Even I am not getting notifications from many apps, was using Samsung and never had this issue, frustrated with one plus 6.

10. J1527140365700
    Donut Jul 20, 2018

J1527140365700 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Hi buddy, I have already mentioned above, you just need to turn off battery optimization for the apps where u are facing the issue. This is not a bug.

11. Jono_G
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2018

Jono_G , Nov 19, 2018 :
    To everyone who says battery optimization fixes this. It does not.
    It is a rom problem. Driving me insane

G_Hugo_Tony likes this.
  12. HeadCRasher
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2019

HeadCRasher , Mar 2, 2019 :
    Found the issue! Double pull down the notifications thingy, go to the edit mode (pen) and add this "Do not disturb" mode. Disable it. That thing was activated SINCE MONTHS on my Oneplus 5. BAM one million missed notifications went in.

13. midhunjose
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

midhunjose , Jun 4, 2019 :
    I guess the issue is not with battery optimisation. I faced an issue that push notifications not working when connected to wi-fi. it was working fine when connected to mobile data. I assume the root cause is same for your problem as well.

following are the solution I got from OnePlus plus my own research

go to settings - apps and notifications - data usage control at the bottom - top right corner menu - select show system app - app list at the top - select apply to all

if it is already selected, select data only and then select again "apply to all"

scroll down and make sure "apply to all" selected against Google Play service

now, go to settings - system - reset options - reset mobile, WiFi and Bluetooth - enter password and reset

now restart the phone

your problem must be solved. it is working fine for me

14. R1560176836121
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

R1560176836121 , Jun 10, 2019 :
    Just created an account because I had/been having the same issue with Push Notifications frequently dropping. There are a couple of things I want to point out here for those who, like me, are desperately searching the internet for a solution to this issue and were brought here hoping to find an answer (spoiler alert, there are a couple of suggestions but it's likely a software issue that will need to be patched/fixed).

First, for midhunjose's suggestion above, I was a little confused so allow me to clarify for those who might also be confused. The "apply to all" is just the drop down menu's name, not the setting you should be applying. I think what he meant was, choose "allow all". So for instance:
    go to settings - apps and notifications - data usage control at the bottom - top right corner menu - select show system apps. Top right corner should show a drop down that says "Apply to all" - tap on it to bring down the menu.

If it (the "allow all" setting) is already selected/applied to all apps, then select "data only" and then select again "allow all"

scroll down and make sure "allow all" is applied to Google Play services

That should make things a little clearer as I was confused why "apply to all" was being used, so I changed everything to Data Only for awhile which was not correct. I have yet to allow sufficient time to see if this fixes the issue or not but I'll be back should it prove to not work.

Second, I found this on the XDA forum and hope that others can relate because this describes perfectly what I'm seeing/going through:

These drops are mostly responsible for missed push messages because the device is not ready at the moment the push happens and it will not be repeated every few seconds (delay)

Even worse if one is using several devices, of which one is i.e. at home and the other on the road. while a the working device will receive the push notification the OP6 would not ( you can check for network drops where it shows the IP number, it happens on wifi as well as data and both wifi frequencies BTW.)

so in the last case the message will never arrive because it's delivered, (to the working device at home) and hence no more push attempt will happen until next message arrives.

i and others posted this in OP support, as mentioned above, open you network settings and watch the IP number, it will disappear and re-appear.
    also you can use FB messenger where you will frequently see an orange bar saying "connecting" intermittently with a green bar saying "connected"

of course i dunno if that happens on EVERY device but at least it happens on MANY including mine.

since i'm always having 2 phones on man i'm receiving all mails and messages on at least on of the two which also illustrates quite well how often a push will reach one of my various other devices but miss the OP6.

Go to OP support and report the issue if you face it, that way they get aware of the full scale of the issue.
    This described my issue pretty well although I don't have a second device like the one above. But I do experience frequent network drops. I'm not a dev/expert, but I was under the impression that the way push notifications worked, the device/app would check every X seconds/minutes to see if there's a new message and, if so, would push it. So that way if it fails or was disconnected/reconnected, it's still searching and pushing any new notifications (though again if there's a second device that's receiving them and they've been marked as "read" there's obviously nothing that can be done there as far as I know).

So bottom line is, try the suggestion made by midhunjose and if that fails again, raise the issue with OP Support via a new thread (separate from this one) so they can be made aware of the full scale issue.

*Edit: Started happening again, so yes, this is an Android issue and the suggestions above have not seemed to work (at least for me).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019

el_tim likes this.
  15. el_tim
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

el_tim , Jun 10, 2019 :
    having exact some issue here. happened with my already sold 5t and now with 7pro . can't find a solution. done exactly as instructions and didn't worked. Tired of replies about battery optimization, it's not that.

16. coryhull79
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2019

coryhull79 , Jun 29, 2019 :
    I have had the same issue with my 6 and have finally found what was causing it. Keep in mind that the lack of notification sounds is a glitch so the fix (at least in my case) doesn't make logical sense.

My Do Not Disturb setting was not selected. In a previous attempt to fix the issue I had turned it on and off repeatedly with no success, but when I clicked the settings icon from the pull down menu there was an option for Do Not Disturb. I clicked on that to turn it off. For whatever reason, the option to turn this setting on and off from the pull down menu was not synced with the option in the detailed settings menu.

I'd like to know if this will work for anyone else.

17. M1560335188599
    Froyo Sep 9, 2019

M1560335188599 , Sep 9, 2019 :
    Bought a 7 pro, and was excited at first, until I found out that notifications do not work at all. This is a basic thing that should work out of the box. This must be a bug in Oxygen OS, and it's embarrassing that Oneplus hasn't fixed this. This thread alone dates back more than a year, and there are numerous threads about the same issue, going back to 3/3T. A phone without notifications is totally useless, and I will never buy another Oneplus device ever again. Waste of money!!

18. Mettastar
    Cupcake Nov 9, 2019

Mettastar , Nov 9, 2019 :
    I have a OnePlus 6 and all of my app icons stopped appearing in my status bar and would not alert with sound after latest system update September 4th 2019. I cleared the phones cache along with all of the caches in each app with rebooting and NOTHING changed. I then went to the SETTINGS ICON > SYSTEM > RESET OPTIONS > RESET APP PREFERENCES > TAP RESET APPS.
    Problem Solved! Back to constant visible and audible alerts. Hope this works for you as well.

19. L1575108807891
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2019

L1575108807891 , Nov 30, 2019 :
    I have the 5t and I can't get push notification for some apps such as Nest or Koogeek. My wife has oneplus 5 and she get all the notifications. We're in the same telecom company, same Android version (9) and same OxygenOS (9.0.9)
    I've tried the battery and apps notifications solutions but that didn't work.
    Thinking on buying a new mobile, and this issue make me think onePlus is not an option.

20. M1560335188599
    Froyo Nov 30, 2019

M1560335188599 , Nov 30, 2019 :
    I've had the 7 pro for 6 months, and notifications never worked. Also, the backup to google drive didn't work either. I tried every trick in the book, nothing worked. Then I did a hard reset (factory reset), and now everything works as it should. Of course you need to set everything up again, but for me it was worth it.