[Q&A] The Ultimate OnePlus 7T Series Guide

1. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 1, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 1, 2020 :
    I really can't go into detail about why I don't use Facebook at all because of non-disclosure agreements I've signed over the years. Salient to your post, however, they do make their money from mining user data (to which they readily admit in their TOS and Privacy Policy), and all that data mining and reporting consumes battery power.

That being said, everything a phone does uses battery power. It's up to the user to decide whether an app or feature is worth the power it eats.

Richard

nofoo likes this.
  2. Ticki
    Donut Feb 1, 2020

Ticki , Feb 1, 2020 :
    Could you send your most used apps, cause 7hours and 40% is even for me impressive. (°0°)

3. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 1, 2020

These screenshots are as of this morning and are slightly atypical for a few reasons, starting with the fact that I'd most recently charged the phone at an unusual time yesterday. I was doing some tests that required me to use the warp charger in the car while running various navigation and mapping apps to test things like heat, charging time, stability, and so forth. (It passed them all.)

I also had a friend in the hospital I was chatting with on Trillian for several hours last night, a goddaughter I was chatting with on WhatsApp for about an hour, and a friend who decided to get chatty on SMS for an hour or so.

Finally, I spent some time in the Fidelity app to find out how much money I lost in the markets yesterday. It wasn't a lot. Gains in precious metals counterbalanced losses in equities.

The time difference between the two screenshots is because the second one was an afterthought while I was composing this reply.

usage.jpg

battery5.jpg

What's more important to my personal battery life is that I uninstall or disable apps that I don't need. I usually just disable them, just to make them easier to use if I do need them in the future; but apps that I intensely hate get uninstalled. I also severely restrict permissions on many other apps to the minimum needed for them to do what I need them to do. For example, WhatsApp is denied all permissions except Contacts and Storage.

Completely disabled apps include:

Android Auto
    Digital Wellbeing
    Duo
    Google Pay
    Google Play Movies and TV
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Services for AR
    Netflix
    Uber
    Weather (the stock app)
    YouTube
    Zen Mode

I don't remember whether the phone came with Facebook installed. If it did, that would have been the first app to be completely uninstalled. I'm not a fan.

Restricted apps include most of them, really. The three that are most restricted are WhatsApp, Google App, and Google Maps. They get only what they need in order for them to do what I want them to do. That saves some battery and also is better privacy-wise.

On the other hand, I regularly use navigation and mapping apps that are very battery hungry; and I exempt apps I especially rely upon (like K-9 Mail, Trillian, Telegram, and Dark Sky) from all optimizations. I also have duty cycling disabled for GNSS and use three constellations (GPS, GLONASS, and GALILEO).

So it's a mixed bag. I take from some and give to others. I guess I'm the Robin Hood of Android.

When using the phone for extended navigation on battery power, I lower the refresh rate to 60 Hz. It doesn't make a noticeable difference on a moving map on the dashboard, and it allows me to easily navigate for more than six hours if I start with a fully-charged battery. I don't know what the maximum time I could navigate on battery would be because I haven't had a round trip of more than six hours since I got the phone. I'm estimating about eight hours at 60Hz would be pushing that limit.

In summary, I agree that my battery life is impressive, but it's based on a configuration that's probably not typical. I'm not a gamer; I don't use the phone as a media device; and I grant app permissions according to what I need them to do, not what they would like to do if I let them run free.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020

4. P1578006735336
    Cupcake Feb 1, 2020

P1578006735336 , Feb 1, 2020 :
    Unable to access the 7T memory, after connecting with Laptop. Upon connecting, HD1901 Portable device Logo and CD Drive (G:) OnePlus Drivers - appears and tried to Double Click - (1) one plus_setup.exe & (2) OnePlus USB Driver setup.exe - activated, till after reconnecting etc., unable to tranfer files / photos etc., from laptop to 7T ?? GUIDE ME

5. Ticki
    Donut Feb 1, 2020

Ticki , Feb 1, 2020 :
    Ahh, I see...

You're really one who cares about battery life as much as I do about having a good phone ^^

I'm more of an medium to heavy user, so it's clear why you have a SoT so good compared to me....

But even my 6 to 7 hours at round about 30% seem to be really good...

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  6. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 1, 2020

Absolutely. Compare the 7t's battery life to a stock Pixel 4. It's much better.

As for optimizing for battery life, it's all a matter of deciding what apps one likes / needs, and not breaking anything else in the process. That's why I usually disable rather than uninstall, whether in the GUI or in ADB. If I break something because of odd some dependency I didn't know about, it's easier to re-enable an app than to reinstall it.

Richard

Ticki likes this.
  7. Ticki
    Donut Feb 1, 2020

Ticki , Feb 1, 2020 :
    Haha, Pixel 4's battery is a joke....

But ye, you're right

8. maneesharayudu
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2020

maneesharayudu , Feb 4, 2020 :
    hii sir ,
    recently I took OnePlus 7T but they didn't offer niether an headsets nor a jack which converts type c cable to 3.55 mm cable,how should I connect the earphones to it or should I use wireless Bluetooth
    thanking you sir,
    maneesha rayudu

9. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Feb 4, 2020

Alvie , Feb 4, 2020 :
    When you connect: on your phone, there will be a notification. You need to choose file transfer as by default is charging only

10. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Feb 4, 2020

Alvie , Feb 4, 2020 :
    You can use any USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (OnePlus sell an official one but availability varies per region), I used wired and wireless earphones and they both have their advantages and disadvantages

maneesharayudu likes this.
  11. maneesharayudu
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2020

maneesharayudu , Feb 5, 2020 :
    thank you alive

Alvie likes this.

12. F1575533278812
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2020

13. K1581257590155
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2020

K1581257590155 , Feb 10, 2020 :
    I am unable to connect my 7T in my smart tv wirelessly. what should I do? screen mirror will only work if a device like chromecast is connected.

14. Ticki
    Donut Feb 10, 2020

Ticki , Feb 10, 2020 :
    Bruh... You know that a Screenshot shows how it should be correctly and not the issue?

15. O1581260872449
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2020

16. Riekje
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2020

Riekje , Feb 13, 2020 :
    Thank you for this post.
    got my 7T PRO Mclaren edtion as my first oneplus.
    so far so good more than happy and learned alot while reading this thread.

Alvie likes this.
  17. gagan.g12
    Cupcake Feb 15, 2020

gagan.g12 , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 15, 2020 :
    Dear team I am facing issue in switching net from Wi-Fi to mobile network. when I switch Wi-Fi to mobile network connectivity net is not working properly , I have to on off the dtaa several time even after I am not getting the proper data usage. Even after switch to flight mode to normal mode data is not use properly.
    please advise me what is this issue and why this will happen. I am facing lot more problem due to this I lost most of my work with this issue .

waiting for your positive response

18. mattb77705
    Cupcake Feb 17, 2020

mattb77705 , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 17, 2020 :
    hello I have the 7t and the new UI one plus launcher update and it sucks it needs to be fixed the white lines around the edges of display and highlighted stuff like if you go into something on the phone a line will light up and turn a highlighted color when it shouldn't. Also the 7t needs one handed display mode.

19. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Feb 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Alvie , Feb 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM :
    Double check that the SIM is inserted properly and also check with your network provider. Also, maybe ensuring your APN settings are correct may help.