(Q) What carriers will be on board for the Oneplus in 2020?

1. dlads
    Donut Feb 7, 2020

dlads , Feb 7, 2020 :
    Hi all,

Have owned the Oneplus 5 and I loved it besides the lack of OIS, so went Huawei and loved the camera but the devices / company, it's just abysmal in comparison, if i'd have known then what i know now, i'd have been happy sacrificing the OIS for the other benefits which the Oneplus came with.

Now my contract is about up, which coincides with the "rumoured" oneplus 8 release, may (ish)

My question as the title states, does anyone know what if any carriers in the UK (don't care about US or EU)

Will / may be jumping in with Oneplus?

I don't really care for 5G so just the device and a normal 4G contract is all i'd like.

EE had the Oneplus 7 pro 5G
    Three had the Oneplus 7 pro and 7T (albeit for an inflated price and the 6GB version)

Vodafone seems to have lost the plot
    o2 doesn't seem to have bothered

Does anyone have any news / rumours? Or is it a case of getting on paypal credit again?

Cheers.

2. dlads
    Donut Feb 12, 2020

3. bobsta
    Gingerbread Feb 23, 2020

bobsta , Feb 23, 2020 :
    I doubt that any UK operators will join up with OnePlus after the fiasco of the 7 Pro 5G handset with EE. As more people are holding onto their handsets for longer, the operators are more interested in making PAYG unattractive and moving customers onto contracts.

If I was in your position, I would avoid OnePlus altogether as they've lost the inclination to support their products. Keep an eye on the likes of Xiaomi who have given OnePlus a scare as they've managed to develop a powerhouse house in the Mi 10 Pro. Probably explains as to why OnePlus are releasing bits of information to the various IT media channels talking about the 8 series launch to divert attention away from competitors such as Xiaomi who are a big threat to them.

4. dlads
    Donut Feb 24, 2020

dlads , Feb 24, 2020 :

I've always had a contract and i've always stuck with top tier, sometimes upgrading or getting 2-3 contracts per year.

I've just spent 2 whole years with the P20 Pro and EMUI 8 / 9 and soon to be 10.

I had the oneplus 5 before it bought direct from oneplus, RMA took 3 days in the UK, they've been flawless besides the initial purchase madness (i won't go into it)

I am actually with EE and would be happy to upgrade as mines about to come to an end, don't give two hoots about 5G, 4G is fine for me, seeing as i get 275Mb down and 150Mb up at my house and Wifi in work.

I wouldn't go with Xiaomi as I took a gamble on Huawei last time and now i need something i know, plus the oneplus will outpace the Xiaomi and i cannot stand MIUI, development was excellent for the 1+5 too which i miss sorely from living with this EMUI crap, googles pixel is too expensive, xiaomi took 14 days (waiting on xiaomi's behalf) before they would unlock the bootloader / provide a code, i dont' want that.

If no English carrier is supporting the 1+ then i guess it's the Pixel 5.

Any idea when that mammothly priced thing will be out?

Cheers btw

PS: I will check out the Mi 10 pro as you've said, but it needs to be on a contract, preferably with EE as their speeds for me have been superior.

bobsta likes this.
  5. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Feb 26, 2020

Gav_W86 , Feb 26, 2020 :
    EE, BT, & Three all currently carry OnePlus phones, no reason why they won't going on, but nothing confirmed for next-gen yet.

Chinda and dlads like this.
  6. Louioo
    Honeycomb Feb 27, 2020

Louioo , Feb 27, 2020 :
    EE will most likely continue with them. There's a lot of new customers they gained (myself included) with the whole 5G release. Plus after 1 year I am not sure a carrier can just drop a company - surely there must be a 'X years' in the initial contract? O2 for some reason have shunned OP after such a strong initial relationship. I suspect Three will continue to service them.

Chinda likes this.
  7. dlads
    Donut Mar 1, 2020

dlads , Mar 1, 2020 :
    thanks man, i hope so, huawei has sucked the damn life out of me, i've lost a lot of faith in android carriers simply because of them they're such a bad egg, they don't listen, have awful devices (besides the cameras) awful software and their GPU (mali) really left me wanting.

And then you have the bootloader code removal fiasco too.

Oneplus for me i'd say.

Three did have a oneplus but it was a 6GB variant and they never dropped the price once.

EE did have the 5G version of the 7 but it was so overpriced i just couldn't commit.

o2 doesn't do oneplus anymore afaik

Voda hasn't ever i don't think.

Carphone wouldn't tell me but their staff didn't know anything.

I've argued with EE and wanted them to advise only if they were NOT going to get the 8, i didn't want confirmation that they WERE and some douche bag got in the thread with me on a back and forth, i just couldn't be bothered after a few posts.

Can't afford to buy one outright right now, so i'm hoping EE comes through.

Was looking at the Exynos 990 on the s20 ultra (superb hardware and specs)

But i queried with exynos chipset seeing as not even S.Korea will be using it this year, the new Mali apparently will be comparable to the new Adreno on the 865, but i guess we will have to see if that's true.

The Adreno does allow for driver updates from the play store similar to nvidia / AMD which means emulators get better optimization, the exynos / mali has been historically crap so i do have a hesitant thought of committing, although with EE the price isn't bad.

£65 for the phone and i think 100GB 5G, not bad for a £1000+ phone and a tonne of data. If the GPU can perform then i'll get that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020

8. dlads
    Donut Mar 1, 2020

dlads , Mar 1, 2020 :

BT?? Didn't even know they did mobiles mate? Let me google that sh**.

Cheers

9. Louioo
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

Louioo , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Same way Sky also do mobiles, not sure who the main carriers are of these sub carriers - I know Tesco is serviced by O2.

10. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Mar 3, 2020

Gav_W86 , Mar 3, 2020 :
    Its an MVNO using the EE network (EE are actually part of the BT group now).

11. Brownz
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Brownz , Apr 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM :
    According to EE staff member this morning when I asked, said that EE will no longer be selling oneplus devices as Three have the contract exclusivity