QI magnetic charger install

?

Is wireless charging a feature you miss from your oneplus?

1. Yes, I want it!

2. No, I'm not bothered about having it...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theretard
    Eclair Jan 11, 2015

theretard , Jan 11, 2015 :
    So I got frustrated with the lack of wireless charging on the Oneplus.

I bought myself a micro USB wireless charging adapter, desoldered the ribbon cable from the circuit, and replaced it with the thinnest wire I could find.

I checked voltage coming from the wireless charger, and also checked voltage on the USB pins when the wall charger is plugged in. Decided to solder the wires to the 2 furthest pins ( colours indicate polarity). USB pins are accessible by removing the 6 screws at the bottom of the device. Easy to do, and there are guides out there.

The NFC pad on the back case caused me a few issues when placing the phone on the charger, so had to remove it by carefully peeling it off. I glued it to the phone battery, ensuring the pads and pins were in contact. I then placed the charging pad on top of this, so that it is as close to the back case as possible. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this...

Phone now charges through both USB and wireless charging.

If you attempt this yourself, I'd recommend attaching the wires to the pins further away from the USB port... I made the mistake of shorting the positive pin to the USB shielding (you can see this in the pictures), and that was a pain to correct... No damage done, I just couldn't charge by USB until I removed the short.

Questions:

Charge time: haven't fully tested qi charging, but over the period of an hour, it only charged 7%... This is minimal, but will do to keep the battery topped up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

2. theretard
    Eclair Jan 11, 2015

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

bjornder and tandu like this.
  3. leemartin
    Lollipop Jan 11, 2015

Ceasedd and theretard like this.
  4. Colt Steele
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

Colt Steele , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Nice Job! Would like to see some pictures of the installing process.
    How long does it take to charge now?

leemartin and theretard like this.
  5. Streetdealer
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

theretard likes this.
  6. Jamzieth
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2015

theretard likes this.
  7. theretard
    Eclair Jan 11, 2015

8. theretard
    Eclair Jan 11, 2015

Colt Steele likes this.
  9. adm770
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2015

10. Colt Steele
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

Colt Steele , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Pictures are working!

The NFC antenna is still in the backcover?
    Was it Hard to solder? I've soldered already, but i'm not a professional..

11. theretard
    Eclair Jan 11, 2015

theretard , Jan 11, 2015 :
    No, the NFC antenna has been removed from the back cover. It is now positioned on the battery with the contact pads making contact to the pins. The wireless charging pad is on top of this. Then the back cover is put on.

As for soldering, I usually only do wires on a much larger scale. I found soldering to the pins quite easy. Just don't use too much solder, and try and connect the wires as far away from the USB port as possible.

12. PauleyMcCoy
    Donut Jan 11, 2015

PauleyMcCoy , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Nice work!

Personally, I voted no because I had QI charging with my Nexus 4 but do not miss it.
    It was very slow, made the phone get hot and was not that much of a comfort boost.

13. Deactivated User
    Jan 11, 2015

14. Deactivated User
    Jan 11, 2015

15. ubermanx
    Gingerbread Jan 11, 2015

ubermanx , Jan 11, 2015 :
    I use one of those add on microUSB coils that slips on under my case.

Sucker won't fully charge the phone over night which is a drag.

16. theretard
    Eclair Jan 18, 2015

theretard , Jan 18, 2015 :
    I have now tested this out for a while. Charges easily from 20% to full charge over night (~6 hours).

I have had usb ports on phones fail in the past, it's impossible to stop accidents happening, especially in the dark. This has helped solve my issue.

17. theretard
    Eclair Feb 17, 2015

18. William64
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2015

19. paarni
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2015

paarni , Aug 23, 2015 :
    Followed your steps and added qi wireless charging aswell to my opo. Bought an additional cover without nfc. Qi receiver fits ok under the hood with some minor modifications.

20. championspike
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 23, 2015