Qualcomm Quick Charge on the OnePlus One?

1. condemned
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2015

condemned , Sep 4, 2015 :
    You provide more power, you charge faster - that's all there is to it. Except that on a unsupported phone you risk frying your charger circuit or overloading the battery.

2. CrAcKeZ
    Honeycomb Jul 19, 2016

CrAcKeZ , Jul 19, 2016 :
    Simply putted no

QC1.0 - 5v 2A
    QC2.0 - 5v / 9v / 12v with up to 3A :D

3. aenews
    KitKat Jul 19, 2016

aenews , Jul 19, 2016 :
    And 18W hence 9V/2A or 12V/1.5A in the higher voltage modes. Why bump this thread anyways?

4. Jupeeeeee
    Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2016

Jupeeeeee , Jul 19, 2016 :
    Quickcharge is 5v 2a? lies. Most phones that dont have quickcharge function still charge at that speed.

5. aenews
    KitKat Jul 19, 2016

aenews , Jul 19, 2016 :
    Quick Charge 1.0 is 5V/2A

That's because nearly every phone since the days of the Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4 has a minimum of Quick Charge 1.0. Older devices only charged at 5V/1A.

6. Jupeeeeee
    Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2016

Jupeeeeee , Jul 19, 2016 :
    So quick charge 1 is that old? god d*mn. regular chargers be as fast as quick charge back in the day

7. aenews
    KitKat Jul 19, 2016

aenews , Jul 19, 2016 :
    The phone must support QC or equivalent in order to be able to charge at faster rates. It doesn't matter what an adapter can output if the phone doesn't support those charging speeds.

8. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2016

PaulF8080 , Jul 20, 2016 :
    The Qualcomm power controller chip in the OPO supports QC. Either the control lines are not connected or the FW isn't there. The really annoying thing is they got it working on the 3, but called it Dash instead of QC. You have to use OnePlus charging hardware. A show killer for me.

9. v0 HaVoK 0v
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2016

v0 HaVoK 0v , Jul 20, 2016 :
    I'm using stock charger and mine won't charge over 1300 mA
    Would really love to know how yours is charging faster.
    Are you using Ampere to check?
    Edit : Woops, just realizing how old this post was :p

10. aenews
    KitKat Jul 20, 2016

aenews , Jul 20, 2016 :
    Dash Charge is essentially VOOC Rapid Charging from OPPO. Has nothing to do with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0/3.0. As mentioned earlier, QC 2.0/3.0 shifts the voltage to provide faster charging at different voltage steps and currents but never exceeds 18W or 3A. QC 3.0 just added many other intermediate steps to improve the voltage shifting. Dash Charge takes advantage of higher amperage to provide constant voltage 5V/4A (20W) with specialized pins and adapter to drive the technology which is a completely different and incompatible concept. Unlike QC 3.0, Dash Charge will charge at the full rate even while the phone is actively in usage. I can top-up my battery before I head out without worrying about my phone charging too slowly since I'm still using the device. Much of the heat generated by charging the phone heats up the adapter rather than the phone with Dash Charge, so the phone stays much cooler while charging. Dash Charge/VOOC may be proprietary technology, but there's no doubt it's superior to QC 3.0. It should be noted that besides OPPO/OP, Google also used proprietary 5V/3A Charging on the Nexus 5X/6P.

Advantages over QC 3.0
    • 20W vs. 18W (Faster Charging)
    • Charges Same Rate w/ Screen On
    • Much Lower Temperatures
    • Works with VOOC Adapters (Neutral)
    The disadvantage is that you'll need to buy more expensive adapters and QC 2.0/3.0 adapters won't charge faster than 5V/2A. I'll take the superior technology any day.

otto2 likes this.
  11. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2016

PaulF8080 , Jul 20, 2016 :
    I don't like the need for special hardware. Thanks for explaining why. If third parties start making Dash hardware I may reconsider. The only way to increase the current is to have a low resistance fat wire cable (ohm's law). There is a reason why there are high voltage power lines. Less current with less power lost to heat.

12. Jupeeeeee
    Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

Jupeeeeee , Jul 22, 2016 :
    Exactly, "or equvelant".
    Years ago quick charge was equivelant to what our standard charging rates are now. Or earlier, nowadays all flagships have some sort of quick charging.

13. aenews
    KitKat Jul 23, 2016

aenews , Jul 23, 2016 :
    Well Google went that brute force route as well, so I'd say it's the way to go for the future. There's no reason to dislike a proprietary charging technology besides the need to buy new adapters IMO.

14. otto2
    Photography Expert Jul 23, 2016

otto2 , Jul 23, 2016 :
    The Open / Closed Source discussion is present in the Linux world since beginning, no need to start it again here. Parts of the DASH Code will get released as open source, parts will get released as proprietary binary blobs.(Source. Oneplus Staff statements) We got same situation in every android phone: Not all Software in our smartphones is open source, there are some parts of the firmware that can not get released due to license reasons. We have to deal with it, or... Code some drivers / firmware by ourselves. (will get difficult since hardware documentation is also not available) Just search the web for some strange behaviour by NVIDIA and AMD in combination with Linux , the legendary "F*** you, NVIDIA" comment by linus thorwalds ( Youtube search will help..) changed it -a little. But until now the Open source graphic drivers for linux aren t as capable as the closed source drivers.

15. Tommy2000
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2016

Tommy2000 , Aug 3, 2016 :
    Just a question... It can't damage the battery to use a 1A charger? I've heard that it isn't good to use an insufficient charger, and since the original is 2A... It's seems to charge reasonably fast though but just asking anyway.

16. papunpatra
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2016

papunpatra , Aug 3, 2016 :
    OPO itself is too much moody about charging...sometimes it is quite fast and sometimes it is more than 3 hours. But always quick with Mi charger

17. aenews
    KitKat Aug 3, 2016

aenews , Aug 3, 2016 :
    Nope

18. pulkitgupta80
    Cupcake Oct 17, 2016

pulkitgupta80 , Oct 17, 2016 :
    OnePlus One does support fast charging. With chargers offering rapid charging, it shows "charging rapidly" and does charge fully in an hour.