Answered Query : Oneplus 9RT image with OxygenOS 12?

1. rjash
    Cupcake Nov 11, 2021

rjash , Nov 11, 2021 :
    I have purchased Oneplus 9RT in China and as you may know the device comes with ColorOS (Android 12) excluding google playstore/services. I prefer the Indian version, which if I understand correctly comes with OxygenOS. I've been redirected by customer service to refer to portal for potential solutions to this.

As I understand, for other versions the steps would be
    1. Download and copy an appropriate official ROM image from Oneplus
    2. Reimage the ColorOS to OxygenOS and reboot
    3. Forgo the terms of warranty and enjoy a seamless experience till it lasts

Some bottlenecks were :
    • The 9RT come with Andorid 12
    • I see there is a beta OxygenOS 12 available for some 9* series but 9RT is not yet on the list

My question would be, any tentative dates for an official (stable release) image available for OxygenOS 12 for 9RT? Or alternately, is it safe/valid to reimage using OxygenOS 12 beta for Oneplus 9 onto a 9RT.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

2. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Nov 11, 2021

B_Wrath , Nov 11, 2021 :
    9RT is a China exclusive phone as of now. It doesn't have an OxygenOS build at all.

What you can do is, debloat the useless apps using adb, install GMS. You can find how to do all this on XDA.

rjash and Artemus like this.
  3. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Nov 11, 2021

Gav_W86 , Nov 11, 2021 :
    the 9RT is only released in China at present so there is only a Chinese ROM for it. I haven't seen any public release announcement for it other than in China yet.
    There are no OxygenOS builds out there at the moment that would work on a 9RT.
    I would think for now all you can do is use the ColorOS build, with the China-specific stuff removed and Google services added. The https://forum.xda-developers.com/ site is likely the best place to find info on that.

rjash and Artemus like this.
  4. rjash
    Cupcake Nov 15, 2021

rjash , Nov 15, 2021 :
    Thank you B_Wrath and Gav_W86. I eventually decided not to reimage, instead just install the play store for 9RT.

My steps if anyone else needs :
    • Removed bloatware using adb. Comprehensive steps available at https://forum.xda-developers.com/
    • Google services are pre-installed in a disabled state but without Play Store app (Settings -> Apps -> App management -> Google Play services)
    • Downloaded and installed Play Store apk files from a reasonably trusted source
    • If your are located in China, an appropriate network to access google will be required
    • Sign-in will prompt you installations suggestions, contact import etc from your existing Google accounts
    • And of course changed to Google keyboard, despite English language selection on ColorOS, I find too many things that are default unchangeable from Chinese, keyboard options on the English keyboard being one of them
    To be seen:
    • If a future OS update is triggered, will google services be removed?
    • The default SMS app automatically changes to O+'s Messages instead of Google, despite user selection, which is fine.

Gav_W86 and B_Wrath like this.
  5. E1584083955164
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2021

E1584083955164 , Dec 5, 2021 :
    Hello!
    Yes it is great, but Android Auto doesn't work under ColorOS CN. How could it be solved?
    Thank you!

6. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Dec 6, 2021

Gav_W86 , Dec 6, 2021 :
    have you enabled the Google services as above?

7. E1584083955164
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2021

E1584083955164 , Dec 6, 2021 :
    Yes. A lot of users from Russian forum can't connect Android Auto under ColorOS or Realme UI China. As I understand it is similar systems. I sold Realme Master Explorer Edition because of this problem. Realme (BBK) decided not to make global version in last minute. Is there another way to integrate AA into ColorOs as system app?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021

8. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Dec 6, 2021

Gav_W86 , Dec 6, 2021 :
    searching around it does seem to be a more widespread issue, so either something isn't there in Chinese Android versions that is required - haven't seen an answer to that yet, or something is blocked.

There has been rumours that the 9RT in India as the RT (I don't have any knowledge of this 'insider' or otherwise besides what I can see on a quick Google). If this actually happens and it is the same phone, then would seem likely a non-China version of the OS will come with it.

E1584083955164 likes this.
  9. E1584083955164
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2021

E1584083955164 , Dec 6, 2021 :
    Gav_W86, also according rumors: will joneplus tools work on Oxygen/ColorOs Global?
    PS Call recordering is very important point to use CN version.

10. bonez56
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2022

bonez56 , Jan 9, 2022 :
    Hi rjash,
    I am in Australia and also purchased a 9RT from China and have got Google Play Services & Play Store installed on my phone. I am having massive problems with the phone in general though, the battery management seems very aggressive and any apps that I have get closed after 1-2 hours, meaning I do not receive push notifications from anything.

There appears to be a limit of 5 auto-launch applications, and they are ok (plus the messaging apps which are allowed to auto start).

This phone is making me pull my hair out at the moment...
    OnePlus will make an official announcement on 14th Jan via the OnePlus YouTube channel at 7:30pm GMT +0800 about the launch in India, I'm really hoping that there'll be an Indian version of ColorOS or OxygenOS that can be used, or that the launch in India itself generates enough interest for custom ROM development.

Are you experiencing the same issues as me with your current OP9RT?