Question about OP6T through T-mobile

1. zues
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2018

zues , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Hello Oneplus team,

I have a quick question I hope you can answer or at least shed some light on for me. Longtime OP2 owner here and looking to finally upgrade to OP6T. Now in USA I use T-mobile service. So seeing that OP6T is coming to T-mobile seems like a perfect match for me, however, there's one thing that causes me great concern.

Generally here in the states, cell phone carriers are notorious for putting bloatware, locks, and other restrictions on smartphones. Years and years ago when I bought the Nexus 4, straight from Google unlocked, was heaven. I had never experienced such a clean software experience before. Its what also drew me into Oneplus so many years ago. I bought directly from Oneplus and have enjoyed the experience free from any bloatware or clutches of any cellphone carrier.

I'm very interested in buying the OP6T through T-mobile, but not if T-mobile is filling the device with their apps and other software. I'm also concerned that an OP6T variant would be slower to receive updates as well. Now, I don't mind an app or two from T-mobile, apps like to look up your data use or pay your bill etc. That I don't mind. It's going beyond that, which gives me grief.

I know I still have the option to buy directly from Oneplus, that's always an option, I just was wanting to be better informed before making any purchase.

Any insight from the Oneplus team will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Oct 12, 2018

mojoyoyo77 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    There are rumors about that, it is possible, you will have to wait for it to appear and the comments of the people who buy these devices, to see if it is like this or not, and then decide which one to buy

3. Deactivated User
    Oct 12, 2018

4. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Oct 12, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    It would have to be a pretty insane deal for me ever to buy a phone through a carrier ever again.

eye842 and The1Lion like this.
  5. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Oct 12, 2018

The1Lion , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Most likely the OnePlus users here are not directly involved with T-Mobile agreements, but yet at least. Also, I'd imagine T-Mobile would load thier apps on the phone. Since T-Mobile may handle returns, they could state they will void the warranty if you "tamper" with it by unlocking, flashing ROMs etc...

6. 2pints
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2018

2pints , Oct 13, 2018 :
    While the device may be available through T-mobile (US) will it be worth buying it that way?
    Or will you be better buying it outright ( sim free) from one plus and finding a sim deal to suit

7. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Oct 13, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Oct 13, 2018 :
    We don't know, how about you wait until the plans and prices are announced and then you can make a rational, informed decision.

8. 2therock
    Eclair Oct 14, 2018

2therock , Oct 14, 2018 :
    From what I read you will be able to purchase an unlocked version T-Mobile as well.

m1ster0wl and tanner.j.michels like this.
  9. Laughing_J
    Froyo Oct 14, 2018

Laughing_J , Oct 14, 2018 :
    I would bet that T-Mobile puts their apps on the 6T. If they're selling the phone then they're going to do it

10. Intruder71
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2018

Intruder71 , Oct 14, 2018 :
    Don't know about the states but here in England O2 sell oneplus phones have since the 5 they come with no bloat and unlocked to any network.. That said I know most us providers are anal about apps and their networks...

m1ster0wl likes this.
  11. zues
    Gingerbread Oct 14, 2018

zues , Oct 14, 2018 :
    Hey everyone, greatly appreciate your feedback. Looks like I'll just have to be patient and wait for the release, and see if T-Mobile has any bloatware on it.

Thanks again for your input.

David Y. likes this.
  12. 2pints
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2018

2pints , Oct 14, 2018 :
    O2 oneplus devices as above are unlocked, and in the same state as they would be if bought direct from Oneplus plus cost the same as they do direct from oneplus.
    the advantage to buying from O2 is that you are covered by a gaurentee/warranty from them as well, so if anything goes wrong you should be able to pop into the/ An O2 store and get it sorted as opposed to posting it off to Oneplus for servicing.

Price wise - US networks seem a little pricey, for reference Vodafone (UK) are doing a deal with 20GB data, unlimited calls and text (SMS) for £11 a month, about US$14.5 ( including all taxes etc)
    100GB of data+ unltd calls/text on Three will set you back £20/month, about US$26 again with taxes etc.

With the T mobile US version i would expect to see:
    Locked bootloader
    Network/carrier lock
    Different sim tray design - the contacts will be there inside the device, but sim slot 2 on the tray will be filled in / blocked off meaning you an only put one sim in, unless you get hold of a dual sim card sim tray

m1ster0wl likes this.
  13. G_David_Sidrak_rYck
    Honeycomb Oct 20, 2018

G_David_Sidrak_rYck , Oct 20, 2018 :
    why tho?

14. wlonsdale
    Froyo Oct 29, 2018

wlonsdale , Oct 29, 2018 :
    But the US networks are lte and 5g is around the corner. You're paying much more in income taxes and you have a much smaller footprint.